If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When people act as if you're an idiot for believing in a god/goddess/Flying Spaghetti Monster

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    And it can motivate people to build hospitals and save lives
  • You can change. You can.
    Honestly, I think things are not as simple as they seem. Whenver a concept is as big as religion or power (Whether economical, political or otherwise), it is nothing but a big double edged sword. 

Yes, there are religious which encourage horrible acts in the name of their beliefs. But it doesn't mean that religion in and of itself is bad. That's the kind of morality that implies that objects have a degree of morality of its own instead of the kind that we assign to it.

and that's pretty much wrong from the get go.
  • edited 2011-12-11 15:10:34
    Pony Sleuth
    ^^I never said it couldn't.
  • I don't think it's possible for me to accurately say religion results in nothing good, but what it does do is make people interpret the world in a way that isn't as accurate.

I can imagine cases where gouging a man's eyes out is the right call to make, but I don't think those cases are applicable as a general rule.
    What the...

I seriously now have no idea what point you're trying to make.
  • I'm saying that instilling a sense of religion in people is a bad thing that causes problems from the perspective of someone who doesn't believe in it, in spite of whatever virtues arguably occur as a side-effect. Is that more clear?
    Why?
  • Same reasons it's generally bad to lie to people to get them to do what you want. Is it necessary for me to list those reasons?
  • edited 2011-12-11 15:53:36
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    How is it lying?

Unless you are actually convinced that every relgious guide or leader in the world is just an elaborate huckster.
    Same reasons it's generally bad to lie to people to get them to do what you want.

If you believe in religion and honestly think that God exists, is it lying to tell people this?

Mind you, lying is not just saying something false. It's saying something false while being fully aware of this being false in order to deceive others.
    Not to mention you've got no proof it's a lie. When you accuse someone of lying, the burden of proof lies on you.
  • It isn't lying if you believe it, no. But spreading faulty information has similar bad effects whether you believe it or not.
    >information
    >talking about religious beliefs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
  • I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Is it necessary to remind you of examples of religious texts that contain debunked historical records that people hold to be true regardless?
    there are a million and a half of interpreting religion. Just because you believe in God it doesn't mean that you believe that everything the bible says is true, word for word. 
  • edited 2011-12-11 16:06:47
    No rainbow star
    ^^ That would be false information

But the very concept of a deity is, at this time, impossible to prove or disprove
  • I'm a member of the Brotherhood of Patriotic Scots, a religious order in Scotland who focus heavily on the idea of God as a Redeemer and a Destroyer who uses fire as his most prominent tool.

You wont find anything about us online cause it's just me and three of my mates.
  • That's not what I meant. Religion inspires people to believe things that are not true. That's hardly a controversial thing to say.
  • No rainbow star
    Like Noah's Ark and the fact there are no records of any sort of flood like that? :D?
    That's not what I meant. Religion inspires people to believe things that are not true. That's hardly a controversial thing to say.

Such as? Because I've met quite a lot of religious people in my life. And not all of them were oh so blind to reality, history and so on as you seem to believe.

• edited 2011-12-11 16:18:52
    Pony Sleuth
    I'm not saying that every adherent does this, but religion is why shit like intelligent design exists.

I get the feeling my position is being misunderstood.
    And strict skepticism is why shit like objectivism exists.
    No, intelligent design exists because we didn't know about evolution. Do you think that if we had evidence for evolution back then, would we have such a theory even existing? come on.
    Also, many modern Christians are adamant about the fact that a day to god is a much different time frame to humans and as such can work with evolution.

^^^Either it's not or communicating very terribly.
  • edited 2011-12-11 16:26:21
    Pony Sleuth
    I meant intelligent design in its modern incarnation, where fundies present it as a superior explanation to evolution and try to get it taught in schools.

You know, I don't think it's a good idea for me to continue participating here. I get the sense that there's not genuine curiosity or respect for my opinion.
    I meant intelligent design in its modern incarnation, where fundies present it as a superior explanation to evolution and try to get it taught in schools.

That's more because of tradition and fear of change than religion in and of itself. 
    Once again, you're blaming faith for what people do. There are people who get murdered for supporting Manchester United. Does that mean soccer is bad because of what idiots do? 
  • "And strict skepticism is why shit like objectivism exists."

Isn't it actually skepticism for everything except what Ayn Rand likes?

That criteria still includes religious faith, which was my point.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > religion is why shit like intelligent design exists

I don't think so; I think they share a common cause.