If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When people act as if you're an idiot for believing in a god/goddess/Flying Spaghetti Monster

Comments

• edited 2011-12-24 20:44:33
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I won't disagree that people who take that attitude are sometimes victims of religious privilege but your argument was that on its own is religious privilege. Which it isn't.

Being for religion alone doesn't qualify.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    True, I'll concede that. 
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Honestly, I see religion less of a force for good or evil than it is just there. It can provide focus and strength and inspiration to help others but it can also be excuse for intolerance, a justification for violence, and inspiration for new kinds of evil.

Like I said though, there are plenty of secular things that can the same can be said.

There are things I believe. They are dearly held beliefs. I believe that other people and I are better for holding those views, but none of us control if those views are taken to justify evil and I wouldn't want those beliefs demonized any more than most nerds would want video games blamed when a kid gets made fun of at school and decides murder is the wittiest comeback.
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    It does though. The crusades were actually about resources in the east.

No, no, no. For the Romans ("Byzantines") it was a tool to reconquer lost territories in eastern Asia Minor, something that actually worked splendidly. Territories which would never have been lost had there not been a certain religious leaders who had rallied the Arab tribes some centuries before. And for the Western Church it was an attempt to get the Eastern Church under its control again - something that did not work nearly as splendidly. But the point is, for the actual instigators of the whole thing, the Roman Church, it was purely about religious issues, if maybe not just "kick the Muslims out of Palestine".

And in any case the Crusades would never have reached its infamy, its utter bloodiness, if the Crusaders had not been driven by a religious zeal.

However - again, none of this actually matters. Whether religion is moral is not the question. What religion is rightly ridiculed for is holding to certain dogmatic points (that is after all what "belief" is about) that would never get half the respect they don't deserve if they were not in fact religious in nature.
  • You can change. You can.
    However - again, none of this actually matters. Whether religion is moral is not the question. What religion is rightly ridiculed for is holding to certain dogmatic points (that is after all what "belief" is about) that would never get half the respect they don't deserve if they were not in fact religious in nature.

I often wonder if people think that this is a truth asserted by the parody religions, such as pastafarianism, just because of confirmation bias or if it is because that such a parodic attempt at a religion is impossible to take seriously as a religion or as an attempt at understanding the sociological aspects of religion from a non religious perspective.
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    Look at how conspiracy theorists are ridiculed. In fact, the lines between conspiracy theories and esoteric thoughtare very blurry anyway, and most adherents take their theories pretty much to be dogma - so many conspriacy theories are de facto cults. Yet, they are not accepted as religions, so their views do get ridiculed.
    The difference between conspiracy theorists and religions is that their assumptions are nothing but a conjecture on the nature of people and society, based in nothing but paranoia and general look for an answer.

A dogma does not a religion make. And religion is not only dogma. Granted, dogma plays a big part on it, but there are other elements to it.

I disagree. Dogma is the core defining principle of religion. These days of course it's been reduced to some core issues, but without those issues, Christianity wouldn't be Christianity, Islam wouldn't be Islam, and so on. These days you don't need to believe in the entire canon of theological points of the Catholic Church anymore, no, but if you don't accept that Jesus has lived, was God's son, has been resurrected and has thus brought salvation to humanity, well, then by definition you aren't a Christian. At the key of every religion there still are immutable points of faith - hence, dogmata. That is what makes religion, IMO, and that is why also something that is more philosophy, like Confucianism, is regarded as religion, and that's why for example I'd also treat Orthodox Communism as a sort of religion.

Thus, conspiracy theories would also apply. And really, yes, conspiracy theories are born out of a general look for answers - just like religions, no?
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    And you believe the scientific community is not dogmatic? Please, whenever there is a grand new theory that brings forth new and groundbreaking truths to the foreground, is there not a group of scientists that protest it because it would shatter our understanding of the universe? That's just as dogmatic as many religions!
  • edited 2011-12-25 07:13:29
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Please, whenever there is a grand new theory that brings forth new and groundbreaking truths to the foreground, is there not a group of scientists that protest it because it would shatter our understanding of the universe?

name one time that this has actually happened.

Actually, you probably can name a time where that happens, but it's definitely not because of dogma.
    Vested interest in the theories that would be laid to waste because the new theory debunks them? Yes, that can be said to not be dogma, but would still be a stubbornly and selfishly held belief.
    Thus, conspiracy theories would also apply. And really, yes, conspiracy theories are born out of a general look for answers - just like religions, no?

Well, yeah, but the paranoid element kind of fucks up the comparison, anyway.
    Of course people are imperfect. But the difference is that with religion, dogma is what defines it. You literally cannot have religion without dogma, it's what makes religion religion. OTOH, science is (supposed to be) self-correcting. You observe, develop theories, test them. And then test them again and again and again, and if the theory doesn't hold up, you modify it or discard it. This has happened countless times in all field of science, so it's not just a principle but a working mechanism.

Now, as I've said - people are imperfect, so yes, there will always be scientists who are a little bit too attached to their theories. But it is just that - a flaw. And a minor one at that, because, as I've said, the self-correcting mechanism does work in practice. With religion, though, it's not a bug, but a feature. That's the difference.

Well, yeah, but the paranoid element kind of fucks up the comparison, anyway.

Personally, I'm not sure it makes a difference. It's just a different motivation for mythologification, if that's a word...
    Personally, I'm not sure it makes a difference. It's just a different motivation for mythologification, if that's a word...

It really makes a difference in the philosophical and moralistic department, though. There's a huge difference between believing that some of your fellow humans are evil people (Which is what most conspiracy theories are based on, mind you) and believing in a magical spirit in the sky who guards you.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Religions provide various social and psychological functions. A common measuring stick for moral value and spirituality can bring a community together very strongly. At worst, this can cause violence between groups with differing perspectives. At best, however, this can cause exposure to values that might otherwise have been deemed illogical or unworkable.

For instance, I'm an atheist. Former Catholic. But I remember, one day, hearing about the last Pope being shot. He survived. The next day, he went to the shooter's prison cell and forgave him. At the time, I found that extremely inspiring, and I still do. Perhaps it was a political stunt, but I don't particularly care; it set a new moral standard for me, and it's an example I'll never forget. I'll likely never live up to it, either, but I have it.

I do not mean to imply that morality is drawn from religion, or that religion has higher "moral potential" or anything of the kind. Religion does allow a common transmission of morality, however, and if you get a set of good values, that can be an extremely positive force.

Lastly, I find the whole "religion is evil/stupid/whatever" thing to be silly hipstershit that the post-modernist world has become far too obsessed with. That sort of phrase always sounds exactly like an acoustic rock band I've never heard of but know the exact sound of, and all the band members are wearing thick-rimmed glasses they don't even need.
    Lastly, I find the whole "religion is evil/stupid/whatever" thing to be silly hipstershit that the post-modernist world has become far too obsessed with. That sort of phrase always sounds exactly like an acoustic rock band I've never heard of but know the exact sound of, and all the band members are wearing thick-rimmed glasses they don't even need. 

man, i want your hipster bands. 

mine are all obssessed with postironic beardcore
    So, religion is not self-correcting? What about the reformation and the counter-reformation of christianity?
    There's that too. Hell, I don't think most religions are anywhere near close to their original shape these days. They change and evolve in order to fit the world we live in.

Granted, they're stubborn as hell. But they do.
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:01:04
    I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    But what was the reformation? It basically was just "how to intepret what this book says". It was not "Is this book right at all to begin with?". You know how many thousands tests the Theories of Relativity were subjected to and have held up - and yet they still continue to get tested!

If there is no creed, no faith at the core of a religion then it is obviously no religion. But this faith is, by its very nature, a dogma. Besides, if religions do not present never changing, eternal truth - then what are they there for? Might as well leave the field entirely to science and rational philosophy/ethics!

And for that matter I'd indeed rather that everybody think about their own ethics, too, instead of having them transmitted to them. After all, it used to be morals meant "no homosexuality" and "no women's right" and so on - that was not merely social practice, those were normative morals, and transgressers were indeed described as immoral and evil.

And really, community sense based upon religion is bad. Religion at its core is supposed to mean "Believing in this or that". I.e., you need to think something to be true. It's a matter of that, not identity. It excludes everybody who has... well, not even a dissenting opinion, it excludes everybody who don't hold this something to be true. You can go around founding identities based on that, it's very common. But it's not good.

However, again - that in itself does not matter. I do not believe in the concept of the Noble Lie. Religion could be the ethically most awesome thing ever (it isn't), and it would still be just as silly or not. What matters is how realistic its claims are, how well founded they are - in other words, how much possible truth there is to it. That's all that matters.
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:09:50
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ITT all religions are contemporary and Abrahamic, apparently.

I have two major issues with your line of argument:

1. Your are making extreme, sweeping generalisations all over the place about a series of practises you don't seem to understand.
    2. Without so many words, you're asking us to reject the beliefs of others and to install yours in their place. Religion may produce prejudice, and does in many contexts, but you're asking us to do exactly the same thing.

Reminds me of a friend of mine. If someone's religious, they're an idiot. If they adhere to an Abrahamic religion, they're an abominable idiot. I'm quite sick of personal crusades of most all kinds, especially those that ignore larger issues in favour of belittling others who are essentially good-hearted and well-meaning, if misguided.
    Rationality, I love that word. Let's all be fair.

What is your ideal solution to the prisionner's dilemma?
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:17:46
    I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    I fail to see how what I've said is only applicable to Abrahamic religions. Somebody mentioned the Reformation, a Christian example, and I replied using the same example. But my general points are generally applicable. It's fairly easy to say "You're generalizing" - you also have to say how and in what exactly.

And I'm not asking anybody anything. What I'm saying is religious people should not get surprised if their beliefs are ridiculed, because if those beliefs were not in fact classified as religious, then everybody would make fun of them the same way fun is made of conspiracy theories, or UFO esoterica, or Randian Objectivism. Strip them of their religious context and they are ridiculous. That's what I'm saying - I don't want to push my view on anybody, I'm saying there should no special protection for religious views!

Vandro: What has that to do with anything?
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:19:35
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I want to see which kind of rationality do you propose.
    Then you might explain how your beliefs are applicable to religions that did not impose a code of behaviour, or one we know nothing of. European tribal paganism springs to mind. Shinto. Personal deism.

Furthermore, here's what I'm getting.

- Conspiracy theorists are ridiculed.
    - That's okay, because they're ridiculous.
    - Religion is on the same rational level as conspiracy theories.
    - Therefore it is equally valid to ridicule the religious.

This seems too extreme to me. As I pointed out, religion has undeniable technical function. Whether you disagree with the value of that function is immaterial, because those values are as subjective as the religious views you criticise.
    I want to see which kind of rationality do you propose.

This has fuck all to do with the plausibility of religions and how serious we should take them. But if you insist - well, it would obviously depend on my co-prisoner, no? If I could trust him/her or not. That's the entire point of the game, isn't it? It's about trust.

Then you might explain how your beliefs are applicable to religions that
    did not impose a code of behaviour, or one we know nothing of. European
    tribal paganism springs to mind. Shinto. Personal deism.

I've said several times already that the moral aspects of it all are irrelevant. Paganism and Shinto believe there are spirits everywhere. Without that, it wouldn't be those religions. That's a dogma. And if it had not that religious context it would be a claim fairly open to ridicule - "there's something in that stone watching me!"

So, yes, what I say is in fact universally applicable. By the very nature of it, there can be no religion without dogma. It would be a religion not actually believing anything - which means it wouldn't be a religion.

This seems too extreme to me. As I pointed out, religion has undeniable
    technical function. Whether you disagree with the value of that function
    is immaterial, because those values are as subjective as the religious
    views you criticise.

No, the function is simply plain irrelevant. Religious views must hold to the same scrutiny and criticism as every other views, too - because at their core, like every other view, they claim to be truths. So either they are or they're not. What function they may fulfill besides does not matter at all.

Yet you continue to speak of the function of rationality.

That standard has to be applied universally or not at all.
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:45:33
    Ah, uh, yes, Rationality needs to hold up to the same scrutiny, tests and criticism as well. I never said anything different.
  • edited 2011-12-25 10:49:06
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    And you suck at it, by the way. The true ideal answer in prisioner's dilemma is to tell on the other. That's what a rationalist does.

It is just a fancy word for "pragmatic egotism" when applied to philosophy of life.
    Wait, dude.

You said the function of religion was irrelevant.

Then you said the function of rationality was relevant.

After I said you have to apply the same standards to both.

And you agreed.

Needs less bias.
    And if we see on the macro level, rationality fails big time, ever heard of the tragedy of the commons?