If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The All-Purpose Gay Rights thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Charter sounds about right.

• edited 2013-06-11 02:03:36
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Even if it's in the organisation charter, that doesn't necessarily equate to such rules actually being enforced by Salvos members all over the world.

Not unless the shelters are all highly micromanaged or something, which I very much doubt.

• Uh, when did I say it was something actually enforced? (not like they can just go around killing gay people anyway)

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

You didn't, I was just pointing something out because I felt like it needed to be said.

• Well, it's not like "kill teh gayz" is something that's actually possible to enforce, unless maybe they're in Uganda.

Anyway, the impression I get on another forum is that they're somehow disliked in Australia more than they are in the U.S. for some reason (a poster said that even homeless people don't like them). Wikipedia says there was a sex abuse scandal there, which I guess explains that. I also heard they refused to open a branch at Wilton Manors, FL,which is apparently a known "gay village". It just strikes me as terrible strategy to say you refuse to help some people when you represent a charity. That's just gonna harm your cause more than anything.

• I'm sure by the time any of y'all read this, you'd have heard about the Defense of Marriage Act getting struck down. If you hadn't... well now you have.

And California's Proposition 8 has been overturned as well.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Yay.

• Pope Francis goes "who am I to judge?" in regards to gay people.

Pope Francis on Monday said “who am I to judge?” gay people as he discussed one of the most divisive issues affecting the Catholic Church. 

“I have yet to find anyone who has a business card that says he is gay,” the pontiff said at a press conference in which he addressed the reports of a "gay lobby" within the Vatican.

“They say they exist. If someone is gay, who searches for the Lord and has goodwill, who am I to judge?” he added. "The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains this very well. It says they should not be marginalized because of this (orientation) but that they must be integrated into society."

No sign if he intends to undo the church's official position on homosexuality or anything, though. The article also notes that he avoided talking about gay marriage.

• a little muffled

@Naas_H_Sapiens: "Gay people are okay as long as they don't do gay things" is a pretty common position from "progressive" Christians, and is the official Catholic position. This isn't really new.

@InsanityAddict: That one's better.

• ^ Yeah, you probably have a point.

Anyway, Russia apparently will enforce their anti-gay laws for the Winter Olympics.

In the new but unfortunately not surprising development, authorities confirmed Aug. 12 that law enforcement officers would uphold Russia's controversial anti-gay legislation during the 2014 Sochi Olympics, RIA Novosti is reporting.

Following previous announcements from other high-ranking officials, the claim seems to confirm that despite international backlash, law enforcement will act in accordance with Russia's anti-gay "propaganda" legislation in terms of behavior regulation among foreign visitors.

(...)

Vitaly Milonov, co-sponsor of Russia's anti-gay "propaganda" legislation, responded with a claim that the law would not be selectively enforced or suspended and those competing in or attending the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games would be held accountable under the new law.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You guys already know I'm hardly the most progressive guy around, so I guess I won't be worse off by much for saying that...

If for all the crazy things the extended Russian establishment's been doing, they needed to get to gay bashing for somebody to finally stick it to them, I'm gonna have some mixed feelings over that. I mean, shit's bad, but shit being bad is hardly news for Russia, so if the outrage breaks out, I'm gonna ask, why couldn't folks have complained over any other issue before the gay one.

Of course it's all relevant only if the public outrage breaks out, so for now I'm just rambling.

• Cynical mode: nobody cares about them genociding the Chechens because they're muslim terrorists, the blackmailing with natural resources mostly hits Eastern Europe and those are corrupt yo-yos too, and FEMEN isn't highly publicized because we're prudish abou tits on the telly. 

If you'd like I can dump a strongly worded letter with any complaints you may have in the mailbox of his daughter, since I have to be in that neighbourhood anyway next week.

• It also appears that the IOC will not be doing anything about this.

^ Wait, you mean Putin's daughter? Now I just want you to try, if only to see whether or not anything whatsoever will happen.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'd have said, seducing her would be a cooler option, but I'd rather not have you gulp radionuclides.

• She's married and too old for me anyway. But newspapers have been buzzing around the area and nothing happened, so I assume minor trolling will not lead to FSB goons going in dry.

• Same-sex married couples in the U.S. can file taxes as married, even if they live in a state that doesn't recognize gay marriage.

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced Thursday that when it comes to taxes, it will recognize same-sex couples' marriages even if they live in a state that does not.

(...)What about same-sex married couples who moved to a state that didn’t recognize their marriage (a couple married in Massachusetts who moved to Arkansas, for example)?

Thursday’s ruling by Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew provides a uniform policy for the IRS; the state of celebration -- where the wedding took place -- now trumps the state of residency when it comes to federal tax status for same-sex married couples.

• why couldn't folks have complained over any other issue before the gay one.

the Olympics, probably.

• New Hawaiian governor calls for a special session to legalize gay marriage.

"The decision to call a special session is based on doing what is right to create equity for all in Hawaii," Abercrombie said in a statement, calling on both houses of the state legislature to convene in special session on October 28.

• edited 2013-10-28 10:00:04

So this is kind of bizarre. Or maybe totally expected?

Rick Scarborough, Tea Party Leader, Suggests Class Action Lawsuit Against Homosexuality

Former Baptist pastor and Tea Party Unity founder Rick Scarborough spoke with conservative activist Peter LaBarbera on Thursday about potential anti-gay strategies, including a class action lawsuit against homosexuality.

(...)
    Scarborough said he believes homosexuality and tobacco companies should be equally vulnerable to class action lawsuits.

Are there "gay-manufacturing" organizations he can supposedly sue? Seriously, how do you sue a sexuality? Is this what "gay agenda" belief looks like? That someone actually thinks that there are actual organizations responsible for same-sex attraction in general?

"Obviously, statistically now even the Centers for Disease Control verifies that homosexuality much more likely leads to AIDS than smoking leads to cancer. And yet the entire nation has rejected smoking, billions of dollars are put into a trust fund to help cancer victims and the tobacco industry was held accountable for that," Scarborough said.

Note that the article has a link to CDC report stating that

"More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined."

Oh and he also compares modern usage of gay to "calling pedophiles 'happy people'". It's like a homophobia bingo card or something.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

That someone actually thinks that there are actual organizations responsible for same-sex attraction in general?

it's obviously the oreos (or those multicolored fruit roll ups)

Comparing smoking-cancer to gayness-HIV/AIDS makes me think of a PSA where somebody says "Everytime you even think about or look at another person of the same sex in a sexual manner you increase your chance of getting HIV by 9000%"

• Hahaha a class action against gay people

As a queer person, I say bring it on

There's always time to watch the Tea Party proudly make fools of themselves!

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

The Senate of Hawaii has passed the state's same-sex marriage bill. The Hawaii House of Representatives still has to vote on it, but I think we can safely say that it's a shoe-in.

• There is love everywhere, I already know
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Under Croatian law, a referendum does not require a majority voter turnout to be valid.

Actually, this both is and isn't true. The Referendum Law doesn't, but the Constitution does.

The Croatian Constitution explicitely says that a referendum needs 50% turnout in order to be valid. So did the Referendum Law, but after a 2011 referendum on whether or not Croatia should join the EU, which failed due to low turnout, the clause requiring majority turnout was removed from the Referendum Law and the referendum was repeated, again without majority turnout. Despite that, the results of the referendum were officially declared positive, and the Constitutional Court turned a blind eye to its unconstitutionality.

However, there were several more low-profile referendums after that one, all of them failing to meet the majority treshold - all of them were declared invalid. It's almost certain that this one will be too, given the current government's opposition to the goal of the referendum.

So the current legal contradiction pretty much makes the answer to the question of whether a referendum requires a majority turnout based pretty much on the whims of the people currently in power. And this time, I think that it won't pass.

• edited 2013-12-11 11:47:43
    There is love everywhere, I already know

So Democracy, again

Apparently any other vote might have to wait until the next parliamentary election, which is just great.

Hey, at least it's one of the few things the United States got right.  Kinda.  Halfway.