If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The All-Purpose Gay Rights thread

Comments

• What purpose is there in an IJBM that doesn't get too far off topic...WHAT I SAY.

And yes. EXPLAIN ABOUT LESBIANS. They are not mentioned and I feel this gives us females the right to be gay and act gay without fear. GOD SHOULD ACCEPT THAT HIS LAWS HAVE LOOP HOLES HONORABLY.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    @Gelzo: It's probably implied somewhere, though a general ground rule is that "If you're not sure, you probably shouldn't, but don't preach it". For the moment I'll just recommend against it; but that doesn't apply to Aon since, well, they are likely atheist.

My job as a Christian though, is not to call people sinners. It's to give people the good news.

:)

I like doing that, it doesn't involve stabbing people.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    I guess the writers back then only noticed buggery, and found lesbians hot to watch see.
  • edited 2011-01-10 01:27:11
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    That statement sounds oddly appropriate, given your name...
  • edited 2011-01-10 01:28:44
    Pony Sleuth
    I just figure if you view the bible as the absolute word of God, you probably aren't going to face punishment for something that isn't mentioned.

I mean it's God for crap's sake. I'm sure an omnipotent being could be a little more clear if it was necessary.

He doesn't seem to be a very subtle individual. (Except, mysteriously, after the bible's time.)

And I think stabbing people is about as productive as calling them sinners. Probably moreso, come to think of it...
  • I am agnostic because I have never seen sufficient evidence in support of either the theists or the atheists. God may or may not exist and I have no way of proving if he does. I do not know. Learning if he does is quite frankly very low on my priorities list when it comes to "Things I must do to be happy" and I feel that it is right. That sort of information hasn't been found and likely won't be found any time soon and honestly I doubt it's very important.

Also I have read the portions of the Bible relating to homosexuality or were interpreted as such. There seems to be no implication in regards to lesbians and they aren't mentioned at all directly. Also there is Ruth and Naomi who are totally gay for each other. PROOF THAT THE LOVE BETWEEN TWO WOMEN IS THE HOLIEST OF ALL BONDS.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Or you're just wearing your yuri goggles on too tight. 

And I admit, I do that at times.
  • Yes, it certainly has the most holes.
  • Yuri goggles? I haven't had those in years, Kinky... See...I have yuri seeking retinas.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Trust me, the book has its bases covered.

Talk to a good pastor.

• No. No it doesn't. The difficulty in translating the fucker isn't helping matters much either. It's a nice little book with some nice little stories, but honestly it's not terribly consistent.
  • edited 2011-01-10 01:38:30
    Pony Sleuth
    Well, it's just that "It's probably implied somewhere" gives me bad vibes.

I really think I have better things to do than have a lengthy conversation with someone whose job it is to let people know people like me are sacks of sin.

^Not to mention some of the stuff in it has been proven wrong scientifically. Which leads the sane Christians to interpret it as "allegory" in some places.
  • edited 2011-01-10 01:47:07
    ^^I know full well that you think that of the Bible. Say it once and be done, else, put forward a good reason.

Anyhow,  I need to go use my timeslot to watch a helping of anime, then sleep.

-tips hat-

^I never called you that, now did I? :P

I would research, but I need to be off.

V I figured as much, otherwise I would have heard about it by now.
  • edited 2011-01-10 01:47:33
    A good reason? I would think that inconsistencies, translations
    bunglings, and so on would be a very good reason! And then there's the
    issue of what is and isn't truly canon which no one seems to have
    convincing enough reasons for.

Buddhist texts have these exact same issues though in much greater number (the Buddhist canons are quite a bit longer and can fill whole book cases) and they too I do not believe can be considered infallible. They were written by man.

^FUCK PAUL TO HELL AND BACK. Seriously God? Why him? Why not somebody who could write interesting shit? Call back the dude who wrote Exodus! PLEASE GOD.
  • "I never called you that, now did I? :P"

Oh shit, you thought I was talking about you? That must have seemed rude. I was talking about the pastor you suggested. Which, I think, is probably a fair description even if the person in question is nice.
  • edited 2011-01-10 03:23:52
    @Anonym: First of all, being gay is not a "lifestyle". I dislike that term a lot...Second of all, nobody is going to try to make your child gay. That's just silly, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

And why do I enact on this, you ask? Because I live in a homophobic society I've had to suppress my feelings for years. After all the BS I've had to put up I'd like to finally be happy and date a boy. I'm not sure why happiness and love are bad things.

Also, you've overlooked the points about Christians cherry picking Leviticus. Eating shellfish is an abomination as well.
  • edited 2011-01-10 03:24:51
    Pony Sleuth
    "That's just silly, we're not trying to recruit anyone."

True, but I've heard some people do believe that. I think it's fair that he preemptively said he didn't think that.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's right. I guess he did open that up as a possibility.

Well, even then he said it was unlikely. And with how people are, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least one person that tried that.
  • Yeah I was aware of that. However, I've never heard a case of this happening so I'll disbelieve it for the time being.
  • If people try to force gay kids to not be gay, is it really that hard to imagine people who force straight kids to not be straight?
  • It's hard to believe, yes. People try to force gay people into being straight because being straight is the norm. Also, homophobia. However, I could be wrong and it's probably happened very few times.

• Not because it's the norm, but because they have notions that being gay is unacceptable and fear people who are different from them. I'm sure there has been at least one person who has had such a bad experience with heterosexuals that they decide they're all bad.

And just because it's not the norm in a culture doesn't mean it can't be the norm in a subculture. If you listen to how some people bitch about Homestuck, you'd think it's unavoidable. But I've never met anyone in real life that's read it, or even heard about it before me.
  • edited 2011-01-10 04:18:42
    Yes, but we're talking about people supposedly trying to recruit kids
    here. Like "join our Gay Agenda" recruitment. That's what I was
    addressing in Anonym's post.
  • Oh, okay.

Yeah, I really doubt there's any well-organized group that does that. I was just thinking about it on an individual/parental level.
  • edited 2011-01-10 04:55:00
    Yeah, I think we both confused each other's points. I agree that it probably happens on an parental level, but it seems very rare at the moment.
  • edited 2011-01-10 05:03:08
    Oh well, here goes:

"@Anonym:
    First of all, being gay is not a "lifestyle". I dislike that term a
    lot...Second of all, nobody is going to try to make your child gay.
    That's just silly, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

And why do
    I enact on this, you ask? Because I live in a homophobic society I've
    had to suppress my feelings for years. After all the BS I've had to put
    up I'd like to finally be happy and date a boy. I'm not sure why
    happiness and love are bad things.

Also, you've overlooked the points about Christians cherry picking Leviticus. Eating shellfish is an abomination as well."

Sorry if "lifestyle" offended you, I only used it as given the tension around it, it is something that seems like, I don't know if this would be the right word for it, but "culture". Kind of like how being African American is a "lifestyle". It's not that they decided to be black, but because of racism and heritage, it became something that they had to take special pride in.

As for the OT stuff, I could go on with this one for a while (the Bible is a pretty huge book after all), but that is explained in the NT, and is even the main subject of one of the epistles. Before anyone says that it's all contradictory, I'd like to ask you if a general can issue a new command. It may be appropriate for his army to go one way at first, but after a while another direction is issued. If the general's job consisted of saying one thing, then leaving the scene, he wouldn't be very good, now would he?

I'm sorry that I made you upset, but please understand that I'm fine with you, and thus far, I like you. I feel that the fact that you don't want to align with my beliefs is unfortunate, but they're my beliefs, so of course I would feel that way. I'd be perfectly content having a cup of tea with you and playing chess, you know? I don't believe that it is within my given right to try and interfere with your life, or harass you until you agree. I'll pray, and that's where it ends.

Outside of this, I don't even notice when I speak to you.

"Oh
    shit, you thought I was talking about you? That must have seemed rude. I
    was talking about the pastor you suggested. Which, I think, is probably
    a fair description even if the person in question is nice."

I said a "good pastor" didn't I? As in not the "bastard coated with bastardry" I mentioned earlier. I don't know how you came to this conclusion...

Sorry if I miss-communicated. I guess sturgeons law applies to churches too, so perhaps that didn't work out as advice anyhow.

"
    Not because it's the norm, but because they have notions that being gay
    is unacceptable and fear people who are different from them. I'm sure
    there has been at least one person who has had such a bad experience
    with heterosexuals that they decide they're all bad."

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of someone genuinely disliking homosexuals for squicking them out or being "different". Or even this "homophobic" nonsense. The people who tout the idea that tormenting and shunning gays is a good idea have legitimately been misled into a  religious reason for doing so. If there are people who actually are against gays because they creep them out, such people are probably very few.

Aon: Well, it would seem that I've met again someone who has had a bad experience :(

I'm truly sorry for whatever has happened to you, and I assure you that I could point to the Bible and show the people responsible that they are undoing Christ's good work. I can promise you that God is good, and that there is more to the Bible than you realize. I have nothing against you, and feel nothing but respect for you.

I believe God, and that he has control over his word. Perhaps there have been mistranslations, time has shown this to be true; however, God will not let his word die so easily. I believe his message is still in this world, no matter what happens to the scriptures.

You have truly taken everything very personally, and seem to view me as arrogant, that I'm thinking I'm superior. I think no such thing. I'm in a very fragile house right now, and cannot stand to throw a single stone safely.

If God is who he says he is, you believe wholeheartedly that you must stand up to him. But why is this needed? God, while displaying familiar emotions, is not a human being. Think about what his name "Yahweh" means. "I AM". That's it. Now take another look at the word "holy". Think about what that word means. While the first couple of definitions are clean and pure (and the such), one of the main definitions is "God-like". So God is holy. What does that mean? God is more of himself? All of his names seem to point to the idea that God just sort of "is". He's there, like a rock, a tree, or even gravity. All you can really do is align yourself with him. In a strange sort of way, it all even seems mechanical.

There is no reason to be upset about this. My job is simple, I relay what God says. It's clearly noted a plethora of times to do no harm. There are people who do so anyways, but I would rather that Christianity be associated with them. The parable, for example, where Jesus saves a woman from being stoned to death, by drawing a line in the sand and convicting the people tossing the stones. Pretty clear.

My little sister has a teacher who is gay. He's a pretty nice guy, and
    an extremely good teacher. I trust him to take care of her; and if
    anyone has seen the thread where I describe the horrific overprotective
    rage I would go into to protect her from a rapist, the fact that I trust him says a lot.

"Yes, but we're talking about people supposedly trying to recruit kids
    here. Like "join our Gay Agenda" recruitment. That's what I was
    addressing in Anonym's post."

In case anyone missed it, I'm pretty sure that this doesn't happen ever. Though there are a few crazies out there, who knows?
  • *Yeah, don't ever say "lifestyle" when on this topic. The word carries all kinds of offensive implications.

*I don't find it productive to seek out a pastor and talk to him. I'm comfortable with my beliefs, and while they may change to fit new information, such information isn't going to come from a centuries-old book. 

*"If there are people who actually are against gays because they creep them out, such people are probably very few."

That's laughable, but I don't really have any solid info to dispute it.

*I find it suspicious to decide that certain parts of the bible are obsolete.

*Anyway, I'm glad you're being so civil about this.
  • edited 2011-01-10 06:01:13
    @Anonym: I think you're a neat person from what I've seen from your posts.
    It's important to remember that just because I disagree
    with you doesn't mean I dislike you as a person. I apologize if I came
    off that way.

Regarding your general analogy, it doesn't make
    much sense if God is omniscient. If He is all knowing then why would He
    change His teachings later on?

Also, every other passage about same-sex behavior is very vague. Romans 1 claims that God cursed people into having same-sex lust due to them worshiping other deities. Do you think that is applicable in the real world?

I also want to quickly mention that the Bible has been used to justify
    many past social injustices: slavery, racism, sexism, persecution of
    Jews, etc. I really don't think this is any different.

"To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of someone
    genuinely disliking homosexuals for squicking them out or being
    "different". Or even this "homophobic" nonsense."

While religious motivation is a huge factor, you can't deny that people being grossed out by it is an additional reason why they are hateful. I've seen this justification plenty of times, including when I came out to my mom whose initial reaction was "Eww, disgusting!" That's not a lie. There are even atheists out there who are squicked by homosexuality, which is the main reason for their disgust and discrimination. They don't have much of a reason beyond that, but people like that tend to be somewhat uncommon anyway. Also, please define "'homophobic' nonsense".

• Yeah, there are lots of straight people who are even intellectually OK, accepting, and celebrating of homosexuality, who'd still say "Be as gay as you like but I don't wanna see it". Frankly, to see other people's sexual tendencies, gay or straight, would squick lots of people out.
  • I don't mind gays using en vitro or adopting a baby for their family, but one thing I do not like is how they try to force their kid to be gay as well.

A few of my friends I knew growing up had this happen to them. They rebelled accordingly, but after watching the news and reading at a few forums, this seems pretty common.
  • What does it entail to "try to force" their kid to be gay?