If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The All-Purpose Gay Rights thread

Comments

• As in, insist that the child shouldn't have crushes on others of the opposite sex, or reject the child's significant other for the sole reason that they are not the same gender.
  • ^^^ Where do you live?
  • Montana, used to live in Idaho, and also in North Dakota.
  • What news and forums are you reading where this seems pretty common?.......
  • edited 2011-01-10 09:21:20
    Gaiaonline and YCM.
  • I don't know what YCM is, I'm aware Gaiaonline is some sort of online game? *Shrugs* I'm pretty sure if that were common, anti-gay forces would use actual people in ads instead of making stuff up.
  • edited 2011-01-10 10:27:59
    GaiaOnline? None of the hilarious quips I can think of are good enough to express how that makes me feel.
  • I guess so. Either way, I am assuming it is not as common or serious as it normally is. It ruined one of my relationships to be sure, so perhaps I'm just Demonizing it.
  • The gay couples in question, of course, are using much gentler methods of forcing the kids' sexualities than many straight couples. I think a few anecdotes can't be used to cast assumptions on gay couples in general any more than some douchy straight couples who send their kids to people to get their sexuality "fixed" reflects on all straight couples.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "I don't mind gays using en vitro or adopting a baby for their family,
    but one thing I do not like is how they try to force their kid to be gay
    as well.

A few of my friends I knew growing up had this happen
    to them. They rebelled accordingly, but after watching the news and
    reading at a few forums, this seems pretty common."

While the news and a few forums aren't exactly the best source of deciding how common something is, there is no denying that its mention is proof of concept, at least on more than one occasion.

I"ll have to rest with Longfellow on this one though, the douchy couples aren't exactly good measuring sticks.

"Regarding your general analogy, it doesn't make
    much sense if God is omniscient. If He is all knowing then why would He
    change His teachings later on?"

I'll try to rephrase it again. It's not that his teachings changed, or that he developed a new mindset. It's just that a new set of orders were given.

Looking back the the who Leviticus deal, and the stuff about shellfish, I have taken a look, and found my answer pretty quickly. The passages talking about foods, for example, have a very important bit of literary importance in them.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus 11&version=NIV

I'll just snag the point right out of there:

"You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you."

Notice "for you". What that means is that God isn't personally troubled by these things, but the people themselves are. And with good reason, too. The stuff he lists in there is quite dangerous unless handled properly.

Other commands, however, have a different statement attached. "An abomination unto the LORD". In other words, while commands are for one purpose, others are not.

"Also, every other passage about same-sex behavior is very vague. Romans 1
    claims that God cursed people into having same-sex lust due to them
    worshiping other deities. Do you think that is applicable in the real
    world?"

Are you talking about this?:

"24 Therefore God gave
    them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for
    the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25
    They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served
    created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27
    In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and
    were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts
    with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their
    error."

You misunderstand, what happened here is not that God made them homosexual, but rather he showed us his real wrath: He let them do what they wanted to do. No lightning bolts here, he just says "Fine, you can do what you want, but it's a bad idea". To an atheist this would be a dream come true, but to the Christian, God giving up on you is a horrible sounding fate.

"Also, please define "'homophobic' nonsense"."

It's just that the term has taken a ridiculous few levels, such that it has become a blanket term for "anti-gay", which sweeps everyone under the same rug. I've seen the term abused a lot, and seen it invoke a lot of strawmanning and demonetization.

"*Yeah, don't ever say "lifestyle" when on this topic. The word carries all kinds of offensive implications."

Sorry, I didn't think of that when I used the term, the last thing I need to do is upset someone.

"Anyway, I'm glad you're being so civil about this."

I appreciate that; for a while I was worried the fact that I'm so saccharine and civil all the time was actually making people angrier with me.

• edited 2011-01-10 16:29:04
    It depends on your interpretation, Anonym. While you may think that being gay is an abomination, why does God allow for the purchasing of slaves from other countries in Leviticus 25:44? People who work on the Sabbath are to be put to death (Exodus 35:2). Kids who curse their parents shall be put to death (Leviticus 20:9). Why are these passages obsolete but the justification of killing gay people is entirely relevant? Who gets to decide?

God does seem indecisive to me. In the OT He is a cruel being who inflicts plague and death on sinners, but in the NT he's all loving and forgiving now. And if He truly is some kind of a general, I don't know why He hasn't issued anymore laws because things have obviously changed since the New Testament.

Now, with the Romans 1 passage...Paul supports the oppression of women and accepts slavery in his other letters. Why is Romans 1 the one we listen to, but the others we ignore? Again, these kinds of passages were in fact used to justify sexism and slavery. I will cite sources of this if you really want me to.

While some people take the idea of homophobia too far like you've said, you do agree that it is extremely common and very persistent in our society? I don't see how you can also collectively "sweep everyone under the same rug" who uses this word.

My final point is this: being gay is not a choice and it is not a psychological disease. We can be equally good parents and lead equally productive lives according to many studies. What do you think is God's justification for hating a behavior that is harmless (as long as protection is used, of course)? Why would God make people gay if they're not allowed to enact upon it?

• Because you never know what you might see.
    >There are no reasons outside of that, but it is a VERY important deal to a follower

This seems like an overgeneralisation.  I know plenty of Christians for whom homosexuality isn't a big deal at all.  I've never heard it condemned in my church even once.

>Bad news. This is NT, as well. It's Paul speaking, though, so...

I don't see any condemnation of lesbianism there, only male homosexuality.  «Unnatural sexual relations» is vague (and homosexual relationships and intercourse are perfectly natural, anyway, although I guess Paul didn't know that).

>It's just that the term has taken a ridiculous few levels, such that it has become a blanket term for "anti-gay", which sweeps everyone under the same rug.

«Homophobic» means «anti-gay», so that's perfectly correct usage.  I don't like the word, because I feel it implies fear of homosexuals, which may be inaccurate or misleading, but «anti-gay» is the usual intended meaning.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "My final
    point is this: being gay is not a choice and it is not a psychological
    disease. We can be equally good parents and lead equally productive
    lives according to many studies. What do you think is God's
    justification for hating a behavior that is harmless (as long as
    protection is used, of course)? Why would God make people gay if they're
    not allowed to enact upon it?"

As I've said before, their is a line here between reasons for *us* to not do things (like eat pigs, back when doing so could get you a nasty disease), and reasons for *God* for us to not do things. I've said this in other debates, so I'll put it forward again: The issue lay in "holiness". There is no scientific reason, hell, it could even be beneficial, but that doesn't matter, because it is unholy. It is said we were created in God's image, great purpose is put towards continuing to reflect him. As for the mental disease thing, I hate that imbecilic term. Homosexuality, if caused by a genetic development in the brain, is still a deviation from how things normally work. "Mental illness" doesn't have to be harmful, anyhow, given that while most of "them" are perhaps dangerous, many simply create people of different and interesting character.

«Unnatural sexual relations» is vague (and homosexual relationships and
    intercourse are perfectly natural, anyway, although I guess Paul didn't
    know that).

It doesn't matter what a natural occurrence might be, however. Take due notice of how "the flesh" is constantly talked about. What is "natural" for us is almost always evil in and of itself. Even if it is genetically hard wired from birth, it is still "unnatural" because we do not behave how God tells us to act. If you are homosexual, this is not condemned inherently, but rather, you can choose to simply not pursue any relationships at all. Before anyone issues a complaint about God preventing someone from having a loving marriage, please note that we are to do as he says, and many people of character in the Bible and in our modern times dedicate their lives entirely to the Lord and dismiss relationships of the sort.

Drinking can be used as a similar deal, as there are causes that can bring you to be an alcoholic. Drinking wine isn't a sin on its own, but for some people, it becomes such. People give Christianity all kinds of flak for saying that homosexuality should be let go, but completely ignore us and are fine with it when we talk about giving up other things we love. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.

"It depends on your interpretation, Anonym. While you may think that
    being gay is an abomination, why does God allow for the purchasing of
    slaves from other countries in Leviticus 25:44? People who work on the Sabbath are to be put to death (Exodus
    35:2). Kids who curse their parents shall be put to death (Leviticus
    20:9). Why are these passages obsolete but the justification of killing
    gay people is entirely relevant? Who gets to decide?"

Making an interesting distinction here, but it's not an abomination to me, rather, it is to God. The OT stuff listed were laws put forward by God to rule the country which they spoke to, and were dependent on the time. Like I said prior,those items maintain being against God, but the punishment has changed. "Forgiveness" entails exemption from punishment, on the grounds of an apology. Because of this, there are no stonings anymore.

As for the slave bit, that was common deal at the time, so there were rules regarding their treatment thereof. In that culture, one could willingly enslave oneself in order to pay off a debt. Slaves in that day were not the same as the fiasco America had with African Americans. At no point does anything say "thou shalt buy a slave", and other verses support that if you have one, you are NOT to treat them like dirt.

"
    Now, with
    the Romans 1 passage...Paul supports the oppression of women and
    accepts slavery in his other letters. Why is Romans 1 the one we listen
    to, but the others we ignore? Again, these kinds of passages were in
    fact used to justify sexism and slavery. I will cite sources of this if
    you really want me to."

Indeed, please list the ones on your mind; I can't think of anything that I'm missing, myself.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Here's an issue I have.

If God says that all of these impulses we have are so immoral. Why did he give us to them?

Some sort of test? Sadism? Is the God who rules over us not the same one that created us?

There's a lot of things you should be suspicious of there.
  • edited 2011-01-10 16:53:03
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    It has to do with the original sin; which is, in effect, a very messy sack of marbles to discuss.

Let's say that I have reason for believing it, but wouldn't want to spend all day talking about it when I already have something to talk about.
    As long as you're okay with me taking that as the equivalent of a shrug.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    As I'm sure has been pointed out to you before, Original Sin is a terrible excuse, because God created snake, garden, tree, fruit, Adam and Eve, and did all this in full knowledge that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit.  It was still ultimately God's decision.
    This too.
    Bible!God has often seemed more like an arbitrary authority-style parent than anything useful. I choose to not believe in him for this very reason. I don't care how divine you are, you are susceptible to the rules of logic that you made.

Of course, my god is a giant eyeball. So maybe I'm just calling the kettle black here.
  • edited 2011-01-10 17:38:50
    My source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/sla_bibl.htm

I'm really confused why God would explain to people how to regulate slavery. Couldn't He have just said "slavery is wrong and so is sexism?"  Wouldn't that have averted years and years of oppression and suffering? Also, the verse I sited talked about how enslaving people from foreign countries is justified, not people necessarily willing to be enslaved.

The OT stuff listed were laws put forward by God to rule the country which they spoke to, and were dependent on the time.

Yeah...every law I bring up is culturally dependent for the time period in your opinion with the clear exception of condemnation of gay people. I fail to understand your logic behind this.

If you are homosexual, this is not condemned inherently, but rather, you
    can choose to simply not pursue any relationships at all.

No thank you. I'm not going to be miserable for the rest of my life in isolation and without love. That sounds terrible. I have no idea why you think God supports this.

Drinking can be used as a similar deal, as there are causes that can bring you to be an alcoholic.

Except being alcoholic is a self-destructive behavior that harms yourself and people around you. Being gay is perfectly harmless as long as you're safe. Not to mention that alcoholism is often considered a disease of the brain, while homosexuality is not a mental disorder of any kind.

Homosexuality,
    if caused by a genetic development in the brain, is still a deviation
    from how things normally work. "Mental illness" doesn't have to be
    harmful, anyhow, given that while most of "them" are perhaps dangerous,
    many simply create people of different and interesting character.

I don't want to accuse you of anything, but just be careful on how you phrase things. I detect a lot of Unfortunate Implications in this quotation.

• You know what phrase bugs me? "Gay is good". It gives the feeling that being gay is something that people should strive for, and is somehow superior to being straight. Why not something like "Gay is acceptable" or "Gay is okay"?
    "Why not something like "Gay is acceptable" or "Gay is okay"?"

Those don't assonate. :B

That said, I don't think that "Gay is good" is meant to imply superiority. Just equality.
  • edited 2011-01-10 21:15:32
    Odd, I've never heard of that phrase before. It doesn't sound superior
    to me...if it said something like "Gay is better" or "Gay is superior"
    then I'd be worried. "Gay is good" is just trying to combat the idea of
    how many people think it is the opposite. So, yes, I'd say it's more
    about equality.
  • MFDY: But "Gay is Okay" rhymes.

That said, I don't think that "Gay is good" is meant to imply superiority. Just equality.

Yes, but that doesn't meant the implications aren't there.
    "Yes, but that doesn't meant the implications aren't there."

They're there if you want them to be, I guess.

I'm not seeing it, sorry. :/

I've never seen anyone describe something as "good" where "good" meant "superior to all other options."
  • Again, wouldn't "Gay is best" or "Straight is inferior" imply superiority? Not "Gay is good"?

I don't see it either. I am somewhat confused.
    I can see why he'd think that, I just don't agree.
  • "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." is probably my favorite, even if it's cliched. 
  • edited 2011-01-10 21:59:33
    ^^ Oh, you said "I'm not seeing it" so I thought that's what you meant. My apologies. 
    Well, I mean, I'm not seeing why he finds it offensive. But I can see why someone "could"....THAT MAKES NO SENSE. GAGH.

Gelzo: A classic.