If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

...Has anyone ever thought of BUYING TVTropes?

Comments

• I would like to think that any potential future owner would immediately discard Eddie's shitty code and migrate to some real software--For the wiki, MediaWiki with a custom theme designed to resemble the current TVT layout, for the forums pretty much anything would be an improvement--but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    You know considering the density of TvT's forums 60 or 70 mods wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • You can change. You can.
    nah, I'd go for two for every subforum except the media ones.
    Eh, ok. In any case this is all pipe dream stuff. Tropers aren't exactly loaded.
  • I am absolutely penniless!
    @Malkavian: It's 1:00 am and I'm bored, so if we're discussing how would we administer TvT, then we are discussing how to administer TvT

• I would like to think that any potential future owner would
    immediately discard Eddie's shitty code and migrate to some real
    software--For the wiki, MediaWiki with a custom theme designed to
    resemble the current TVT layout, (...)

Is it even possible to switch to MediaWiki? TVT stores changes in its edit history, but MediaWiki stores the entire past revisions. Of course, it might be possible to work backwards from the most current revision but I'm not sure if anybody knows how to do that...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, you could just discard the edit history and run with it.

I'm wondering if Eddie chose PMWiki because it would take up less space like that.
  • Wouldn't discarding edit history be against the CC-BY-Sa terms? I mean, doesn't it say that you at least have to attribute the authors/editors?
    True, but that's a smaller hurdle than a technical hurdle, and besides, I'm pretty sure edit history has been discarded before.  I can't see the full edit history of many pages.
  • Wasn't there some function called "list of page editors" on TVT? I guess the data from that could already be enough, considering that the license TVT uses only requires that you attribute the editors with no mention of needing to actually show what the edits were. Of course, I've never actually seen that function, just some mention of it somewhere. I'm not even sure if it's available on all articles.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

>Buy both Something Awful and TV Tropes

>Merge them into one site... somehow

>Profit!

• I will never understand why people think "all editors must be attributed" means "a full edit history must be kept." Doesn't it just mean you have to keep a list of usernames/IPs who have edited the article? And TVT does that anyway, so as long as you stuff that on the talk page of the MediaWiki version, it'd be fine.
  • edited 2011-10-26 14:57:41
    But you never had any to begin with.
    >Buy both Something Awful and TV Tropes

BRB, laughing forever.

^Hey, you can always try to convince lowtax with your dirty stinking money.

As long as your name is Bill Gates, that is.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

And TV tropes wouldn't be expensive?

The simple question now is what is the price of world peace?
    And TV tropes wouldn't be expensive?

One of these sites asks you to spend money on avatars

It is not TvTropes.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    >imagines the revenue that TV Tropes could get if it charged for avatars
  • edited 2011-10-27 01:37:59
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

^^ What? I thought they only charge for a membership. But for avatars too? Jesus, in some language "goon" has to mean "person with too much money and no idea what to do with it".

^ It wouldn't get much revenue if that happens. The number of avatars would sink drastically. And the number of people without any avatar at all would rise. Then again, if goons are already retarded enough to waste money like that...

From what I understand, you have to pay for an avatar, not sure if you can then switch said avatar without having to pay money or if you have to pay money for different avatars.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    As I understand it, any change of avatar costs money.

You can also pay more money to change someone else's avatar, I think.

There are a lot of things you can pay Something Awful for, and most of them fall into the categories of "basic feature of every forum ever" or "douchebaggery."
  • edited 2011-10-27 06:26:31
    Silence is golden.

>imagines the revenue that TV Tropes could get if it charged for avatars 

Lemurian alone could probably feed Ethiopia for the remainder of the decade.

• "You can also pay more money to change someone else's avatar, I think."

That is....kind of cool, actually
  • edited 2011-10-27 08:00:12
    It's surprisingly common, considering it costs $10 to do so. When people do, they tend to make the titles be BIG RED TEXT.
  • .....Jesus, how much money do Goons have?
    As I understand it, any change of avatar costs money.

You can also pay more money to change someone else's avatar, I think.

There are a lot of
    things you can pay Something Awful for, and most of them fall into the
    categories of "basic feature of every forum ever" or "douchebaggery."
    Well, that explains why the site is contains a large number of people with the time to do all these interesting projects.  The fact that they have the disposable income to spend on a website strongly suggests that they are of at least middle- or upper-middle-class wealth, most likely in first-world countries.
     It wouldn't get much revenue if that happens. The number of avatars would sink drastically. And the number of people without any avatar at all would rise. Then again, if goons are already retarded enough to waste money like that...

That's assuming Eddie wouldn't put the price cap retroactively. 

It's surprisingly common, considering it costs $10 to do so. When people do, they tend to make the titles be BIG RED TEXT.

Has anyone changed another person's avatar to, say, Goatse?

Well, that explains why the site is contains a large number of people with the time to do all these interesting projects. The fact that they have the disposable income to spend on a website strongly suggests that they are of at least middle- or upper-middle-class wealth, most likely in first-world countries.

Shit be elitist, yo
  • edited 2011-10-27 10:11:45
    Has anyone changed another person's avatar to, say, Goatse?
    No. Any avatars for other people are reviewed by the admins before they go through.

Quoting: "This allows you to change any user's title. You may use this
    for good or evil, but the title must adhere to forum rules and be
    work-safe."

Well, I was thinking something troll-y, not necessarily NSFWOS