If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

...Has anyone ever thought of BUYING TVTropes?

edited 2011-10-22 23:36:26 in Webspace
No rainbow star
If a mod thinks this thread is importing drama/exporting drama/a powder keg waiting to blow, please feel free to lock Anyways, I am curious. Has anybody thought of getting a bunch of people to pool together their money and try to buy ownership of TVTropes from Fast Eddie? It honestly seems like the only way to get him to give up power over it

Comments

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    That implies he'll sell his personal fiefdom.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    >Another goddamn TVT thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk
  • > ...Has anyone ever thought of BUYING TVTropes?

I've had pipe dreams about that. Admittedly, it'd be only so I can overrule him over stuff I personally don't like, but whatevs.
  • edited 2011-10-22 23:40:43
    No rainbow star
    ^^ Sorry, the other one was moving too fast
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Hence why I said pool together money

I realize it would take quite a bit of cash, but if everybody pitched in...

...Or if somebody suggested that to SA. That would be hilarious to see. Goons trying to gather money to see how long it takes for Eddie to reach his breaking point and either accept the money or go nuts over SA trying to buy the site
  • That would be pretty interesting. Doubt goons will take the bait, though, and I'm miserly. And I'm still in high school and I doubt my parents would lend me their credit card if I said I was trying to buy out a site from a mod I didn't like.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ You think the goons wouldn't do this just for the lulz?
  • edited 2011-10-23 00:05:08
    Maybe. I don't know goons that well. It seems to me they wouldn't take it far enough to actually donate money just for the lulz, but I don't know.
  • I really doubt FastEddie would ever sell the site.
  • Hypothetically, if it happened, the whole shindig would collapse like a house of cards within half a year or so anyway. The new staff would grow disillusioned and bitter, lamenting about how it wasn't as good as in the old days would resurface, spin-off sites would be created and John was a Zombie-shenanigans will ensue.

• I'm pretty sure many people have thought of buying it, but (a) They don't know if they can, and perhaps (b) They're not sure how they'd run it once they do buy it, if they could.
  • I don't know if "buy" is quite the right word here. You buy things for a price; the price reflects their market value. What's the value of something that, as far as we know, doesn't make a profit, but just covers its costs?

It would be more a question of, is Fast Eddie ever going to get pissed off enough to give up and hand over to someone else? Well, maybe - but the someone else will probably be Maddy or someone else he knows. I'm not sure all the money in the world would be enough to induce him to hand over to people he probably sees as "the enemy".

And, as I said, financially TV Tropes isn't worth a lot of money anyway.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I dunno, all of the site valuation tools I've used on it have said it's worth quite a lot...
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Goons donated money to charity to get someone they didn't like banned, so... :P
  • No rainbow star
    ...Great, now I want to see what would happen if SA got control of TVTropes...
  • I don't think that would exactly benefit either site.

I don't think flat-out buying tvtropes is going to be a good idea. The Russian Revolution didn't exactly put a good guy in charge, it just replaced a dictator with another dictator.

(Yes, I know that comparing this with the Russian Revolution is kind of ridiculous)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't think the current owner is interested in selling.

Much less to people who are or have been involved in or connected to drama and drama sources.
  • ^^ ...you don't know much about the Russian Revolution do you?
  • Hey, a Spark Notes version of Animal Farm is all he needs. Pipe down, Conducter.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

I would certainly buy it if I had the money, and after getting unbanned without any repercussions for anyone, I'd give it a bloody much-needed overhaul. Admin policy, bugfixing, interface repair, and everything else that needs sorting out.

• Radd: I read Animal Form for an English Class.

Anyway, from what I remember, the Russian Revolution simply replaced an insane monarch with an equally insane Communistic government. 
  • @Shichi

At which point I'd quit TVTropes.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy
    ^ How short-sighted of you. You wouldn't even wait to see if I was a good site owner or not?
  • No rainbow star
    I'd be a good site owner! :D

...Why do I hear laughter?
  • edited 2011-10-23 22:49:32
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    ^^^^ It didn't. Because there were two revolutions and a civil war.

Shows how much you knew.

If you can't even be bothered to skim a Wikipedia article on the subject, don't bother talking about it like you know what happened.
  • Hm.

Looks like my father told me another non-truth.

• edited 2011-10-23 22:54:00
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ Oh, c'mon, don't tell him to piss off yet, actually explain it to him.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^You know, there's correcting common misconceptions of history and then there's being an unlikable dick.

Guess which category you fall under.
  • edited 2011-10-24 00:38:39
    ^^^: Real story (still somewhat simplified):

The February revolution replaced the monarchy with a democratic government. Unfortunately that government was both so weak it was entirely dependent on popular support and also supported staying in WWI. This provoked support for the Bolsheviks, which lead to the October revolution, replacing the democratic capitalist government with a less-than-democratic communist government which promised to immediately exit the war.

However the monarchists weren't entirely gone, and the Bolsheviks really only had military control over the capital, which lead to the Russian Civil War wherein the White army and Russia's former war allies united to attempt to keep (red) Russia in the war. They failed, Bolsheviks won, and the Soviet Union continued in a more-or-less non-bad matter until about Lenin's death. Then Stalin was horrible, but that was WELL after the revolution ended.

Oh, and no ruler of Russia during this time period was CRAZY; some were RUTHLESS or CRUEL but all of them were entirely sane and had entirely logical objectives.