If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Little Pony: Friendship Just Bugs Me

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Are there any children's cartoons that you do enjoy?

The DCAU in general (hurr, Juan likes superheroes. Surprising)
    Pinky and the Brain, but that was way back when.
    The original Chuck Jones Warner shorts, which are truly masterful, and 
    Tom and Jerry

I've watched and liked more, but those are the ones that I can truly say are wonderful and which I would watch again.

At least it was more interesting to see than his usual:

>4chan/implying bullets
    >bland reaction image

With that out of the way, I admit I do them fairly often because, let's face it, I get to use image macros which I barely use, but which I constantly collect and I get to avoid serious discussion on cartoon shows.

I mean, what's next? Serious discussion about children's card ga--

>Looks at Cockatrice icon on his desktop

oh
  • Apart from the superheroes which are a pretty different genre and one that I'm not as familiar with, it looks like there isn't anything that's character-based apart from Pinkie and the Brain, which has quite a bit more adult and pop culture humor if I remember right. It seems like you like slapstick, and I think MLP has gags and animation that are pretty similar, so now I'm probably a little more confused that you have some vague distaste for it. I guess... maybe part of the problem is the tone of the show or the style of the art.

I just get annoyed because it doesn't really contribute anything to the thread when you do it. We already know you don't like ponies so you don't have to bring it up each time it's barely relevant.

MT:G isn't really a children's card game. The minimum recommended age is 13, and from what I've read from the creators, it seems obvious that they're marketing to a demographic that's mature enough to appreciate some of the finer aspects of fictional worlds and the interactions of the game. And yes, thank you in advance for containing your riotous laughter at the implication that the average fan of anything relates to their interest with maturity.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    So, I was catching up just now, and I just finished s2e3.

The scene with Fluttershy and the bear has to be one of the best moments in the series. Only partially because they made it look like she snapped the bear's neck on a show for little girls.
  • I think the second season has a lot of bits that appeal to non-fans. A good number of fans were claiming that one was the best episode yet.

Actually, Lesson Zero is probably the most pleasantly cartoony one. I'd probably recommend that for Juan to watch next when he's in the mood for it.
    Apart from the superheroes which are a pretty different genre and one that I'm not as familiar with, it looks like there isn't anything that's character-based apart from Pinkie and the Brain

I want to note that the DCAU is pretty character based. I know you mentioned not being familiar with it, but I thought it was worthwhile to point it out.

seems like you like slapstick, and I think MLP has gags and animation that are pretty similar, so now I'm probably a little more confused that you have some vague distaste for it. I guess... maybe part of the problem is the tone of the show or the style of the art.

It's mostly the tone and the fact that the characters are not particularly interesting to me. Jerry and Bugs amuse me because they're tricksters which is my favorite archetype. The kind of person who mocks people while beating them at their own game. 

The ponies don't have that level of fundamental appeal to me as most of the main cast tends to posses character archetypes which I find annoying unless played in a way that amuses me (Pinkie Pie's hyperness, Rarity's snobbery and Fluttershy's shyness are the ones that come to mind the hardest)

I just get annoyed because it doesn't really contribute anything to the thread when you do it. We already know you don't like ponies so you don't have to bring it up each time it's barely relevant.

--shrug.. if it's bothersome, I'm willing to stop. But I don't see how doing it in a thread where there's pony image spam is particularly bad. I mean, it's still image spam. Doesn't fit in the theme of the thread, sure, but I'd still venture that if there's shitposting, then I don't see why it has to be themed shitposting. 

And I suppose that part of it is too that pony hijacks bother me, I guess. I don't like most hijacks in general, anyway, unless I can participate. (Which is hypocritical, I know, but I'm fairly sure I'm the only one who feels like this.)

MT:G isn't really a children's card game. The minimum recommended age is 13, and from what I've read from the creators, it seems obvious that they're marketing to a demographic that's mature enough to appreciate some of the finer aspects of fictional worlds and the interactions of the game. And yes, thank you in advance for containing your riotous laughter at the implication that the average fan of anything relates to their interest with maturity.

Yeah, it was a joke. I was gonna say "teenager's card game" but it doesn't have the same ring to it in my ear.

also, memes and all that jazz.
    On s2e4 now.

The s2 pilot wasn't really anything to write home about, but everything after it has been awesome.
  • I change my suggestion to the season two premiere if you enjoy trickster characters so much. I'm sure you've heard, but the villain's character is based on Q from Star Trek and voiced by the same actor. Just be prepared for some painfully cheesy bits about friendship.

Might be a fair response to spam, but I think you've done it in dedicated pony threads and in response to natural derails to pony. I don't remember the specifics of pony hijacks in the past, but the last one I propagated was on what I figured was a silly thread that wasn't going anywhere to begin with. I guess it might not be the best policy in general to do them at all, but I don't regret the last one in the least.
    Just be prepared for some painfully cheesy bits about friendship.
    This is unusual for the show how?
  • It's worse than usual. I wouldn't mention anything if that weren't the case.
    True, but still.
  • But still.
  • edited 2011-10-25 04:56:53
    You can change. You can.
    Yeah, I've heard of it. Although I wasn't a Q or a Star Trek fan, so there was barely any interest.

I could give it a try, but not tonight. Tonight is Gene Hunt night. 

And well, if I've done it in threads that started about ponies, normally it's in those "I wanna like MLP, but I don't.

Don't remember the rest.

And I don't mind hijacks, under the condition that you don't mind the ensuing image macro reply :P

For the record: I don't mind the Friendship thing. Fits thematically with the whole show and it's what the show is about. 

Of course, I guess it could be like Doctor Who, which hits you with the themes in the face and without subtlety. Which I find forgivable because lol family/kids shows.
  • Relevant image macro.

• No rainbow star
    Alright, I guess I should watch the same one Juan watched so I can at least stop falling for that cupcake clip
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >Tonight is Gene Hunt night. 

Where are you in the series (Ashes to ashes)?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I thought Pony Q totally made up for the extra cheese in those episodes.

Also, the ponies tend to come off as more... not one dimensional, but more stereotypical, I guess, in the ensemble episodes.  It's when they have episodes that focus on one or two characters that you get more of an idea of who they really are.  Take Rarity: if you just watch a couple episodes where she doesn't have a big part, she just comes off as kind of spoiled, snobby, etc.  That whole fashion obsessed rich girl stereotype from every girls' cartoon ever. 

But if you watch an episode like Suited For Success or A Dog And Pony Show, where it's pretty much all about Rarity,  and actually start to get a feel for her character, she doesn't really come off the same way.  She's strong, she's independent, she's very generous, she can take care of herself, even when she's been kidnapped.  She's obsessed with fashion, but she wants to make her own trends, not just follow along blindly with whatever's popular.  She has a popular boutique that she runs all by herself, and is probably the most successful of the mane six, apart from maybe Applejack I guess and oh god i'm doing it again
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I don't even like Trixie all that much but DO WANT
  • edited 2011-10-25 13:17:47
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Relevant:

I've still never spent money on ponies. Even if I ever decide to buy like a shirt or a plushie or something, I'll wait until college.

I'm not sure which is worse

wanting to spend my money to buy a shirt or wanting to spend my time writing pony fanfic
  • I know that feel, bro, at least in the merchandise department. It's either too kiddy or too one-off jokey, although this is awesome: http://www.welovefine.com/product.php?id_product=917

Or I could just hunt down a piece of appropriate fan-art to dump unto a shirt customly.

@Forzare: And now, Arrested Development has been bronified.

idontwannaliveinthisplanetanymore.wav
  • I wouldn't mind a Twilight Sparkle doll to keep on my desk so it can guilt me into studying and cleaning my room. I just haven't bought one yet in case I get something like that for Christmas or Hasbro decides to make toys that resemble the show more.
    I'd get a Pinkie Pie one and a Twilight Sparkle one, because Twilight is second best pony. And then put them on my desk.

Twilight would try to guilt me into studying, while Pinkie Pie would try to get me to put it off and do fun stuff instead.
  • I have a garish pink shirt that I never wear, so I reckon I'll print either this one:

http://equestria-election.deviantart.com/art/Vote-Pinkie-Pie-186383654

or this one:

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/view/45759?search=party

on it if I'll ever gain the balls to  display MLP merch in the open.

OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH

THIS IS THE GREATEST PONY THING EVER

I would pay actual money if this was a real fangame or something.
  • edited 2011-10-26 20:56:58
    No rainbow star
    Son of a bitch. My sister is watching it. I can hear it from my room and it sounds amusing >.<

Edit: Whichever one has that high pitched giggle can die in a fire though. GOD that laugh is annoying

Edit: I watched the second half of the episode with her. Amusing, but in the sense that I wouldn't mind watching it with my sister

So yeah, no idea why you guys adore it so much
  • What's the next episode going to be about? I'm too lazy to search for it myself.
  • Then we're too lazy to find it for you.