If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM Film Club!

Comments

• edited 2011-09-18 21:37:05
    What, no Coppola?

You guys can be so disappointing sometimes. /facetious
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    Required Watching for Edgar Wright: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz
    Recommended Watching: Scott Pilgrim

Required Watching for Woody Allen: Crimes and Misdemeanors, Annie Hall, Sleeper
    Recommended Watching: Love and Death, Midnight in Paris
  • edited 2011-09-18 21:39:54

Most of mine are already listed.

Francis Ford Coppola.  Lucas' boss on The Godfather.

Ralph Bakshi.  Offbeat animation, for those who like that sort of thing.

Curses Meganinja'd Agin!

• $80+ per session
    Okay, this is gonna start getting a little complex.

So under each director, we will have a small list of the movies we will
    be watching that they directed. I shall update the list in the OP with
    this info as it is made.
  • Akira Kurosawa
    Stanley Kubrick
    Masaki Kobayashi
    Takahashi Miike
    Terry Gilliam

To name a few, some of which have already been named. No Kurosawa and Kubrick yet, though? For shame.

As for Miike, I don't think Audition is his best work, I'd rather suggest something like Happiness of the Katakuris or Zebraman. Or for all-out batshit insanity, Ichi the Killer og Gozu.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Frank Darabont.
  • You can change. You can.
    Zach Snyder

300, Watchmen

Brad Bird

The Iron Giant, The Incredibles

Steven Spielberg

everything ET, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade

Aronofsky

Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler

David Lynch

Blue Velvet, Mullholland Drive, Twin Peaks (No, get away from it, that's mine to liveblog)

Nolan

Memento, Inception, TDK trilogy (When it becomes a trilogy, anyway), 

Woody Allen (Until Manhattan, and with certain exceptions like Stardust Memories)

Annie Hall, Love and Death, Manhattan, Stardust Memories

Coen Brothers 

Fargo, No Country for all Men, Miller's Crossing, The Big Lebowski

Sergio Leone

The dollars trilogy, Once Upon a Time in America/The West

Clint Eastwood

Gran Torino, Unforgiven, The Letters duology

David Fincher

Se7en, The Social Network, Fight Club
    George Lucas 

Star Wars A New Hope, American Graffitti, Star Wars EP III (You can watch the whole trilogy, but those are the ones he directed)

Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones (Best Pythons)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil

Quentin Tarantino

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds.

Martin Scorsese

Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, Mean Streets

Miyazaki

Don't know about him enough

John Lasseter

Toy Story 1 and 2, a Bug's Life

Edgar Wright

The Ice Cream and Blood trilogy (Duology so far, though)

Sam Raimi

The Evil Dead Trilogy, Spiderman 1 and 2.

John Carpenter

Escape from New York, The Thing, Assault on Precint 123 and Big Trouble in Little China

Ciro Guerra

Viajes del Viento

Francois Truffaut

the Antoine Doinel series

Guillermo Del Toro

Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy.
  • $80+ per session
    I don't want it to just be their best work.

But certainly not ALL of their work.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Required for Sam Raimi: Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Darkman, Spider-man 2, Drag Me To Hell

Required for John Carpenter: The Thing, They Live, Escape From New York, Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13

Required for John Woo: Hardboiled, The Killer, Once a Thief

Required for Ingmar Bergman: The Seventh Seal, Faithless, Persona, Hour of The Wolf
    4/5 films is way too much for the list you have, Vivi. 

As it is, the list is pretty big.

Anyway, i didn't mention Kubrick because I feel that as far as overrated directors he is...well, the most overrated one. And Kurosawa is a director who I haven't througly studied.
  • $80+ per session
    I should mention that this doesn't have to be for things that are just GOOD movies, but influential or controversial.

For that reason, I'm adding Suckerpunch to Zack Snyder.

And you're right 4/5 is too much for this list.

Some directors will just have more than others.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Frank Darabont: Shawshank, The Green Mile, The Mist
    Ah. I just recommended things from which you can learn things.

Anyway, I think that a film club thing based around this list would be neater. Dunno if everyone's up for it, though.
    I would.
  • Ralph Bakshi
     "Fritz the Cat" is his signature piece.  The first animated film to earn an "X" rating.
     "Wizards" is the cult classic.

Miyazaki
      "Spirited Away", iirc, is the most award winning one
      "Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind" is his signature piece.
      "Howl's Moving Castle" is my personal favorite

• edited 2011-09-18 21:57:11
    Requried for Kurosawa: Ikiru, Rashomon, Seven Samurai (actually one of my less well-liked Kurosawa movies, but it's importance cannot be denied), Ran, maybe High and Low and Throne of Blood. But really, it's very hard to just pick a few.

Required for Kubrick: Since he hasn't made a lot of movies, you might as well watch them all, but if I am to choose the best; Dr. Strangelove, 2001 and A Clockwork Orange. But really, all of them should be required viewing for any serious fan of cinema.

Kobayashi:  Seppuku (Harakiri) - his claim to fame and his best movie as far as I am concerned. Samurai Rebellion too. I wouldn't call the human condition required viewing, too long (3 movies 9 hours in total), but it certainly is good.

Gilliam: I agree with Fear and Lotahing in Las Vegas and Brazil. I would add Tideland to the list.

Miike: Happiness of the Katakuris, Ichi The Killer, Audition, Visitor Q, Zebraman and Gozu.

Carlos: Hmmm, since your opinion is pretty controversial and against the norm, care to explain why you don't like Kubrick as a director?
  • a little muffled
    @FrodoGoofballCoTV: Not Princess Mononoke? I'd say that's his best, and it's just as acclaimed as Spirited Away, if occasionally overlooked because it's an animated film that isn't aimed at young children.
  • edited 2011-09-18 21:57:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Vivi: I wouldn't exactly call Suckerpunch controversial since it was pretty universally panned by critics. Watchmen would probably a better bet if you're going for controversial.

Also, lol everything Tarantino ever made.

^^
    >Seven Samurai
    >Less well-liked

wait wut.
  • edited 2011-09-18 21:58:39
    ^^The trouble with Miyazaki is, ALL his films are good.  :D
  • edited 2011-09-18 21:59:25
    ^^Yeah, personally I like Seven Samurai, but I don't love it like I do some of his other movies such as Ikiru. Just my opinion.
  • $80+ per session
    Actually, Juan, that's what my idea was. I just called it a Liveblog for lack of a better term.

Film Club would be that term.

Shall I rename the thread?
    Carlos: Hmmm, since your opinion is pretty controversial and against the norm, care to explain why you don't like Kubrick as a director?

I feel that, apart from Clockwork Orange, his film haven't aged well. Dr Strangelove's satire, for example, isn't so biting and witty when you're not in fear of a nuclear bomb falling over your head any time soon. 

I also feel that 2001 was too busy being deliberately slow and ambiguous instead of actually telling a story. I know it's a silly complain, and I admit that all of this comes out of my belief that films are there in order to tell a story, not just as an aesthetic endeavor. 

I actually kinda like his work with Kirk Douglas, but I'd say those were more due to the script than to Kubrick's actual work. 

Then again, I'm always open to rewatch the movies. You never know if you'll appreciate them on rewatch.
    Rename, yeah.

So, how are we going to go about this?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    ooh, are we doing one of those film club things?
  • $80+ per session
    Same way as I had planned.

I'm editted the list as we speak, and we will watch a movie. At least I will, and I could provide a link to the movie streamed, and perhaps a chat client, or we could just talk about it in here.
    I think that streaming would be the better choice, although I can't do it because lol bad laptop.

also, part of me wants to force all of you to do the analysis homework thingies I had to do today. Just to spite you. :p
  • $80+ per session
    Mega list updated in OP.

Nothing for Cronenberg.
  • On 2001, I can certainly understand the complaint, it's not a movie for everyone. It's a mediative movie that works for some people, not for others.

On Dr. Strangelove though I have to completely disagree. It is one of the most hilarious comedies I've ever seen and the satire is still as fresh to me today as it was back then, despite never living through the cold war myself. In fact I'd say it's my favourite Kubrick movie, it's just that funny and well-put together. As a satire I have yet to see a movie that has surpassed it, though I'm open to suggestions. Of course I also find the cold war era to be very interesting, but the first time I saw it I had only basic school-level knowledge of said era and still found it hilarious.
    Cronenberg: The Fly definitely.  Haven't seen any of his other movies other than The Dead Zone.
  • $80+ per session
    The main reason I'm doing this because I want to be a film buff.

Also, adding Kevin Smith, because.