If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM Film Club!

167891012»

Comments

• Does this require an outside chat client? /obviousnewbie

• You can change. You can.

Nope. You can use mibbit. but I would recommend a chat client, anyway, as it makes watching the movie more watchable, in my experience.

• What would make the movie more watchable is if it were being streamed on a live channel or something, and we could comment as we go along.

• I have my own laptop, so which chat client is better? 

What would make the movie more watchable is if it were being streamed on a live channel or something, and we could comment as we go along.

ugh, streaming's horrible. Quality's too low. I mean, yeah, the embedded chat client is a benefit, but otherwise, ew. 

I have my own laptop, so which chat client is better?

I use Pidgin, which is in the realm of OK and isn't as ugly as most IRC clients.

• They're somethin' else.

SO DOWN!

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Original trilogy, right? Right?

there's no such thing as other star wars movies

• edited 2012-05-17 23:24:09
    I'm a damn twisted person

I heard that watching the movies in the following order actually gives some interesting narrative results. A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi. Because that way after the Vader reveal, we flash back to see his story and how it parallels with Luke's and the resolution for both of them in RotJ.

I love how that forgets about Phantom Menace.

• a little muffled

Though it still spoils the Leia reveal if you're pretending that you're watching it for the first time that way.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

The Phantom Menace is a better movie than AoTC.

Just sayin'.

I hate to agree with Malk, but there you go. 

• Wouldn't be nice if we could Stream it? Which chat services allow that?

Chat clients don't allow that. What is normally done is using a streaming service which comes with an embedded chat client.

The reason I'm not willing to use Streaming, though, is that it relies entirely on the quality of the connections of the involved, so when we're watching the movie, some of us, if not most of us are bound to slow down if our connection falters, which means an even-more-uneven-than-usual watching experience whereas with downloads, as the movie is independent from the connection, you can keep watching regardless of how bad are our connections doing and return to the chat without having really missed a beat, in case it gets to a point where it can't even sustain IRC or is outright disconnected

The Phantom Menace is a better movie than AoTC.

Just sayin'.

I haven't seen Menace and I pretty much don't care to correct this, but I can't help but think that Attack is more necessary in terms of canon. that doesn't make it good, but it makes its placing on the list more sensical. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh, Attack probably had to happen, but there's no way you can say that's the best movie they could have made about a burgeoning civil war in space.

That said, I think there might have been more potential in genuinely showing the Order as a decrepit and archaic system that had grown corrupt, self-indulgent, and lacksadasical. The movie does some stuff with that, like when Mace Windu goes to bat for Darth Dracula and Padme gives him an 'are you for fucking real?' look, but it doesn't go quite far enough.

malk

you're about to malk again. 

calm down and think of yuno. 

TPM is worth a watch, if only for Liam Neeson as a Jedi Master. He's just loads of fun. 

But yeah, I can't help but think the entire prequel trilogy ought to have begun roughly around AotC with much more emphasis on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. In theory I agree that the Order ought to have been explored more in terms of its failings, but at the same time I think the prequels might have worked better with less Jedi Order stuff. Just Obi-Wan and Anakin having a galactic adventure that explodes into a civil war. 

Probably would have been better as an actual civil war, too, rather than a bunch of droids led by nonhuman non-combatants who don't represent any significant number of Republic citizens. 

Close the second movie with Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, and the third can be about the initial struggles between Obi-Wan and Anakin after the civil war has become bad enough that the Republic becomes the Empire, with Obi-Wan now finding himself in the position of rebel. 

oh god im alexing again nooo

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

so like

what

Soooo I watched Hick:

... Not worth it. two hours of pussyfooting around, and not one lesson learned, though Chloe Moretz DOES show a lot of range in her acting skills. The jailbaitiness is a bit disturbing, which was probably the director's intention anyway.

• edited 2013-02-27 23:27:54
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Chloe Moretz is well aware of her jailbait appeal, according to interviews. It started in Kick-Ass and she has been using it to her advantage since, while still being a really good young actress.

Bless her for that, I guess :V

She really is a smart cookie.

• I'm a damn twisted person

That feeling when you want to watch The Seven Samurai with your friends but know they won't want to sit through a nearly 4 hour movie and will make fun of the dated fight effects to appreciate it.

Feels bad man. 

Yeah. Jackholes.