If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Blue Shells

edited 2011-09-13 13:45:55 in Media
If that don't work, use more gun.
They always screw you over when you're doing well in a race.  Not to mention it's very aggravating when you're just near the finish line and get hit by one!  Fuck those things. :|

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Blue shells target those that are doing well, to redistribute performance rankings.

Therefore they are communist.

Which means they are evil.
  • edited 2011-09-13 14:21:08
    [tɕagɛn]
    I love how these things show up in every Mario Kart, even though EVERYONE hates them to death.

Honestly, Nintendo. Cutting back on the randomness might be a good idea.
  • "Blue shells target those that are doing well, to redistribute performance rankings.

Therefore they are communist.

Which means they are evil forward thinking people who have the potential to save our planet."

Fixed ;D
  • Marioguy128,

Well, I guess one strategy is to try to stay in a close second place most of the race to avoid them. Of course, you still get stuck with those lightning cloud things if you do that.

Another approach may be to stay way ahead of everyone, but from what I can tell, Mario Kart Wii has made that more difficult by taking out snaking. I think in some games there are ways to avoid getting hit by blue shells too. If I remember correctly, you can speed out of the way with a mushroom right before getting hit to avoid them in the Wii version and tossing a fake item block behind you works in Double Dash.

As for glennmagusharvey's communist point, I agree. I mean, do you think it is a coincidence that the other racers are called COMS? That is why I try to avoid playing on the red team whenever team races are in effect. 

^ LOL

Anyway, there ought to be a difficult but doable way of avoiding them if you have no items.  I haven't really played Mario Kart games where blue shells exist, though, so I don't know.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Mario Kart Wii has them, but that's the least of the game's problems.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    ^^ I think Blue Shells are in every Mario Kart, except the first one.

@Chagen

Mario Kart is not as random as it seems,since the items are given to you according to the position you are in. It doesn't stop the CPU for cheating though
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    That's only Mario Kart Wii, which, incidentally, is the problem with it; it rewards the mediocre players more than the great players.
  • I think it's operating under the idea that great players don't need the items.
  • And in practice, a great player still ends up km ahead of everyone else from what I've noticed in vs play (though I haven't played high level games).
  • "Mario Kart is not as random as it seems,since the items are given to you according to the position you are in. It doesn't stop the CPU for cheating though"

That's the point. People who suck get tons of rewards while those who are good are fucked.
  • edited 2011-09-13 17:18:13
    Kichigai birthday!!
    Well, if a guy in first place got a Bullet Bill would be unfair,right? The same as if a guy in 10th got a banana

Well, I don't think unfair is the right word. It would be boring.
    @nohay: Well that tells you i haven't played any Mario Kart games except the first (to any significant extent that is).
  • I've only ever played Double Dash, 64 and that one with Pac-Man in.
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    @Louie: The fake item box doesn't work in DD, but tossing other items behind you works too.  And the problem in MKW is that if it isn't a blue shell, it's either a red shell, lightning bolt, POW block, green shell, Bullet Bill, Super Ster, etc. that bogs you down.  Or all of the things I mentioned.

Oh, and the new Mario Kart brings back the old Blue Shell.  The one that you could actually defend against and was much less of a FUCK YOU to the player.  Now if you excuse me, I am going to go jump up and down in my room, cheering.
  • I remember in Mario Kart DS having to change my strategy to deal with blue shells.

Notably, don't speed ahead when you're in first place, always keep second place just a little behind you.

And when you hear that streaking sound of the blue shell, slow the heck down. I was able to time it well so I'd usually catch the second place, and sometimes third place, cart in the explosion. Since going against the computer was usually only battling those first three placements, it kept me from being knocked way back in rankings.
  • You can change. You can.
    Dudes, just throw a shell backwards while jumping from a ramp.

Also, the whole thing is supposed to be about throwing shit at each other. Who cares about finishing first in Mario Kart? Really.
  • Blue Shells only work when you let them work.
  • >Also, the whole thing is supposed to be about
    throwing shit at each other. Who cares about finishing first in Mario
    Kart? Really.

This so much. Me and my best play it for the experience. Our battle often transcends that of the game itself, and ends up as hair-pulling, controller-stealing, wrestling-all-over-the-couch, "UNCHOOSE YOSHI RIGHT NOW HE'S MINE" kinda fun~. <3
  • "Also, the whole thing is supposed to be about throwing shit at each other. Who cares about finishing first in Mario Kart? Really."

Because it's a competitive racing game.
  • The redistribution of skill from the talented to the n00bs?!

SCRUBS!
    Because it's a competitive racing game.

By that, I meant simply that it's barely a serious racing game, and people caring about it being balanced and with good physics and whatever doesn't make much sense to me.
  • Hey, I'm a Time Trialer, so I'm not really like most Mario Kart players.
    Yeah, mostly because that'd imply you have good taste.

Still, it's kinda like asking a dog to be a cat, don't you think?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Juan: You need to finish first to unlock stuff. Rendering doing so an exercise in frustration.
    But...but...cheat codes. D:
  • Mario Kart has no cheat codes.

Also, why is Double Dash the Black Sheep of the series? I loved the "two-characters-a-kart" mechanic.
    Welp, Gameshark or GameGenie, or however the fuck it is called.

Honestly, I've yet to dislike a Mario Kart game. Beyond casual playing, that is.
  • Mario Kart 64 was a great game that along with Golden Eye 54, saw many a play-times.
  • "Golden Eye 54"

Da fuck