If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Comments

• edited 2011-09-07 14:15:00
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Yeah, neither of them are coming back here, rest assured. There's no excuse for that, at all.

Partial self-thump.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Actually, I didn't meant to say that she did it two times. I meant that she did it herself before Inkblot did.

It's the first time I heard of Vorpy posting CP and getting a perma-ban.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It was just a few days ago, and the conversation was mostly on the activity page.
  • edited 2011-09-07 10:55:11
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I, for one, am glad that the moderation team cracked down on this as quickly as it did. What I'm disappointed at is that we're still talking about this. I don't think we need anymore reminder that CP, in any shape or form, is serious shit.

And Wicked kinda scares me now.

Seriously, that's TvTropes style "it's not that bad"/subjectivity defense taken to dangerous levels.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Seconding everything Neo just said.
  • And Wicked kinda scares me now.

I may have missed something, but this comes across as quite paedo-hunty considering all Wicked has done in this thread is disagree with a ban policy.
  • edited 2011-09-07 11:21:51
    [tɕagɛn]
    I swear, this thread seems to prove that I'm the only one here who checks links before he clicks them.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I do too.

I even enabled tinyurl preview to check that one link.
  • You can change. You can.
    I swear, this thread seems to prove that I'm the only one here who checks links before he clicks them.

inorite

also, I actually agreed with Wicked, I just wasn't so militant about it. I feel that banning someone for an infraction so...I dunno, situational? seems too much. But as I said to Vorpy and GMH, it's GMH's staff and his decisions, not mine.
  • edited 2011-09-07 11:58:33
    And Wicked kinda scares me now.

Seriously? He just disagreed with the severity of the sanction. Concern over something like that is not precaution, it's borderline paranoia.

Seriously, that's TvTropes style "it's not that bad"/subjectivity defense taken to dangerous levels.

Sure, except the few times something like this happened in TV Tropes, the response was an instant perma-ban. And, as a matter of fact, no troper ever (indirectly of otherwise) linked to CP there.

All this seems more like approval seeking than proper precaution.

For the record, I agree with the banning.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    And that's why instead of locking the two CP-posting snowclone threads, I just sank them.
  • Is this thread going to be A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT...WITH GUITARS!!!

Joke for old people...

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "Concern over something like that is not precaution, it's borderline paranoia."

I wasn't gonna pretend it was precautionary misunderstanding. I'm just having a hard time seeing what's defensible enough about what they did that it doesn't deserve the harshest penalty this forum has to offer.

"I swear, this thread seems to prove that I'm the only one here who checks links before he clicks them."

Not necessarily. I don't think a lot of people here actually clicked either link; I know I didn't.
  • $80+ per session
    Noimporta, I think you are a little biased. In Vorpy's case at least.
  • edited 2011-09-07 14:05:01
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Personally, I liked Vorpy a lot, and I agree with her ban just as much as inkblot's.
  • edited 2011-09-07 14:07:42
    @Everest: For you, as a moderator, to call Wicked's character into question that way simply for disagreeing on the severity of what happened is far more worrisome to me than the fact that there was disagreement about it.

That may not have been your intention, but that's how your post came across to me. "Wicked disagrees with this banning policy, therefore he is a scary individual." Noimporta's likening of the post to paranoia seemed like an apt comparison to me.
  • As terrible as I think what Vorpy and Ink did, I have to agree with MeebleelbeeM.
  • edited 2011-09-07 14:15:58
    -shrug- Maybe it is paranoia, and I was being a little extreme when I said that; I'm not actually scared of him, and I apologize for my choice of words. His viewpoint on this is just alien to me, to the point where I'm incredulous. Normally I'm all ears for questioning our decisions, but this seems self-explanatory.

I think it might have been the tone of his post, more than anything, and he flat-out thought it was a bad move.
    Well, why didn't you say the same thing about me when I voiced my concerns to you via PM? What makes his case any different from mine?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ See my edit.
    Ah. got it. 

i do admit that Wicked's post was too aggressive for my taste, even if I agree that permabanning someone for something so situational is a bit too drastic, taking into account the circumstances of our forum.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I think I was more angry over the perceived SA-swiping than anything else, really.
    SA-swiping?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Of all the mod policies to swipe from Something Awful, we had to pick the most pointless and overdramatic of them?
  • edited 2011-09-07 14:19:48
    Admittedly, SA's thread has changed my views on lolicon and whatnot. But that isn't really what made my decision for me, and both Vorpy's and inkblot's posts were tasteless, to put it very generously. And the other mods don't follow SA's thread and were completely in agreement. This seems like a decision most half-decent forums would have made.
  • ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    Even if merely having a LMGTY link on your history is or is not incriminating, CP is still from a legal standpoint a VERY touchy subject, and the mods just want to avoid any of that, and I understand their reasoning behind the bans.
    Ah, OK, I can definetly agree to that. not to mention that SA's reason for that are historical rather based on logic alone.
    ^^ I understand the reasons behind the thumps, and a bit behind the bans, but I feel that the permanence of them is a bit too ridiculous and over the top.
  • $80+ per session
    What Juan said summed up my feelings completely.

I think it was far too situation to warrant a perma-ban.
  • edited 2011-09-07 14:23:25
    Noimporta, I think you are a little biased. In Vorpy's case at least.

Given that I explicitly defended Wicked's right to question the severity of the reprimend, I don't see how my biases regarding Vorpy (whichever they might be) have any incidence whatsoever. If anything, it should work the other way around.