If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The conclusion of the knight vs. samurai debate.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    That's a little different, since it's contemporary anachronism.
  • edited 2011-08-29 15:32:11
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^To be more precise, mythological figures that may or may not have any historical basis.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Madass Alex: I'm aware. But that doesn't stop movies/shows/comics/video games from highly abusing this shit. It's not even just samurai. Remember Ryan Reynolds in Wolverine: Origins? (Too be fair, that movie blew cocknballs) Remember that dude from Metal gear Solid? Fun fact, in cases where a bullet has hit the blade of a sword at the correct angle (It has to be a pistol round, too, as rifle rounds don't have the surface area on the tip to achieve the required minute-of-angle), the bullet does not slice in two. It fragments and tumbles, which anyone who's ever been in a firefight can tell you: This is even worse to be on the receiving end. Now you have two round fragments impacting into your body instead of one, they're small enough to penetrate at a lower velocity, and the velocity has decreased to the point that it's not going to go in and out of your body, but stay in and tumble around inside you, tearing up your tissue/organs.

Maybe the Last Samurai was a better film than I originally thought...
  • edited 2011-08-29 15:59:01
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Metal Gear Solid gets a free pass, because it's Metal Gear Solid and probably has a Science!Katana. But mostly because it's Metal Gear Solid and if you're taking it too seriously you're probably doing it wrong.

But generally yeah, the bullet blocking thing is grossly overdone, exaggerated and poorly-considered.
  • You can change. You can.
    Remember Ryan Reynolds in Wolverine: Origins? (Too be fair, that movie blew cocknballs)

For the record, and as I recall, the sword was made of Adamantium.
    Which I wouldn't trust. Steel is wonderful for a sword because it we're good at manipulating it, meaning we can create weapons that suit the context. Most European swords, for instance, have more bend in the blade than most would expect for the sake of withstanding impact and the prevention of snapping.

Adamantium is likely to be extremely brittle and therefore unsuited to combat. Shortly after striking something that isn't flesh, it'll probably shatter where a steel sword would remain strong.

If you know how to use and care for a sword, there's nothing better than steel.
    Adamantium is likely to be extremely brittle and therefore unsuited to combat. Shortly after striking something that isn't flesh, it'll probably shatter where a steel sword would remain strong. 

dude, it's magic metal. it doesn't break.
    Oh, right, Marvel. Thassright.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Considering the definition of the word "adamant", and the use of adamantine in things like Prometheus Bound...
    Well I've moved from "sword accuracy lol" to "Marvel have a habit of removing physical limitations so as not to deal with them as points of tension when it might actually benefit their works in a narrative sense".
    Marvel have a habit of removing physical limitations so as not to deal with them as points of tension when it might actually benefit their works in a narrative sense

I don't think all the sociopolitical implications that have made almost half of the Marvel stories would be benefitted in a narrative sense when the reason that almost all countries went to war with, say, Wakanda was simply a run of the mill metal that breaks. 

(Yes, it was Vibranium, but blugh, for all intents and purposes, it is just another metal that breaks the rules of physics)
    I can see that being useful, but moreso for infrastructure and more contemporary weapons.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Sometimes realism discussions on fantasy remind me of that Gyrorobo guy from Robot Chicken discussing Robot Chicken skits and about how "this would never happen".
    I can see that being useful, but moreso for infrastructure and more contemporary weapons.

Vibranium being shot would be too unstable. Absorbed vibration and all that.

(I think that's the explanation given. My Marvel-Fu is way off. Somebody get Crake up in this bitch)
  • Electric Boogaloo

For the record, and as I recall, the sword was made of Adamantium.

You mean the swords he used during the mission to find the first large deposit of Adamantium?
    ONE MORE NITPICK

If vibranium is so strong, how do they work it in the first place? Wouldn't they just find the deposits and be able to do jack all with 'em because the material is so tough? So it just sits there.
    You mean the swords he used during the mission to find the first large deposit of Adamantium?

cut me some slack, the movie was shit and I was just there cuz I thought that Reynolds as Deadpool would be awesome. 

If vibranium is so strong, how do they work it in the first place? Wouldn't they just find the deposits and be able to do jack all with 'em because the material is so tough? So it just sits there.

FAN WANK TIME

Vibraniums strenght has to be cultivated via absorsion of vibration. In other words, it's not as strong as it could be when they pick it up.
    So they forge objects and the like first and then put on some Sabbath or something?

Does this mean you could potentially strengthen a sword with the power of heavy metal?
    Probably. I'd go with The Who, them being the noisest band in the world (Guiness record and all) but hey, whatever works for you.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Noisiest band in the world? I thought that was My Bloody Valentine?
    I reckon Black Sabbath could totally beat up The Who in a bar fight.
    Noisiest band in the world? I thought that was My Bloody Valentine?

I dunno. I know that people stopped making music at around 1989. :p

I reckon Black Sabbath could totally beat up The Who in a bar fight. 

Mister no fingers, sir too busy acting tough and the nodescript rhythm session vs the dude who always gets in bar fights, the alcoholic and the crazy monkey

Entwistle would just watch the madness.
  • $80+ per session
    Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool still WILL be awesome, when it gets done right.
    The day that all the suns and all the planets form Deadpool's face.

That day, Ryan Reynolds will come and be Deadpool and it'll be awesome and stuff.
  • $80+ per session
    Well, we still have to see what Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick can do.
    Iommi could take on all of The Who by himself. xD I saw that guy in person, he is just like some sort of fucking fortress tower of a man.
    Have you seen Roger Daltrey? Fucker is too big, man.
  • edited 2011-08-30 00:53:36
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I just wanna leave this here: the launcher of a thousand flamewars.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Which one is the katana and which the not-katana?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Considering MadassAlex posted it, I'm guessing the one that didn't break is the European sword.