If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Visual Novels

edited 2011-08-14 14:12:01 in General
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
Okay, so I just finished the Higurashi Question Arcs. I think I'd like to take a break for a bit, so I don't wind up with the same situation I was in with Heaven's Feel, where I just kind of got burnt out and stopped reading. Right now I have on my computer: A) Saya no Uta B) Umineko no Naku Koro ni (With PS3 art / voice patch for the first episode) C) Ever17 D) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai IJBM, what do?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    if you have a DS, the answer is "Get 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors."
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I lost my DS.

I think I know where it is, but if I'm right, I won't be able to retrieve it for roughly a month and a half.

So 999 is out. >.>
  • edited 2011-08-14 14:17:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Next step, then: if you have or can get some completely legal method of running DS software without a DS, get 999.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >:l
    Not kidding (well, the "completely legal bit is probably a joke, but...)

999 is that good.
    But I already have a big list...

I'd like to get through some of the stuff on my computer before I download anything new, or else I'll just keep pushing those four things back and never get around to reading them, if that makes any sense. I do that a lot.

Plus if I wait, I'll be able to play 999 on my DS, like I'm supposed to.
    True.

Actually, come to think of it, the last scene of the game would be really irritating to attempt on an emulator for spoilery reasons anyway.

Go for Saya No Uta. The gratuitous sex scenes are annoying, but the rest of the plot mostly makes up for it.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Seconding Saya no Uta, as it's the only thing off this list that I've played.

IJBM: I'm still only a couple minutes into ef: a fairy tale of two and haven't started G-Senjou no Maou. And the full version of Katawa Shoujo isn't out yet.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Play that one J-Hipster Deathnote+Higurashi crossover where you kill people and the other players try to find out who you are.
    I was kind of leaning towards SnU myself. From what I've heard, I think it's the shortest one on that list too, and I don't want to take a huge break from Higurashi.

^ wat
    ^^Mitadake High isn't a VN.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ It probably is; it took me four hours to beat, I think.
    :<

But...okay. I'll play by my own then, I don't need you Forzare. hmph.
  • edited 2011-08-14 15:21:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Then after that I'll probably read Umineko... I've been really enjoying Higurashi, and what I've heard of the soundtrack is amazing.

I'm just not sure if I can get past the artwork.

And I just looked up Mitadaki High, and it looks like it could be a fun thing to try out.
    I really need to get back to my Umineko liveblog...argh.
    I need to get around to watching NGE again....but I bored myself with my own liveblog, and I am not funny....so there be a problem.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Play My Girlfriend is The President,it's the best VN in the known universe.

loljk
    ^^^ Is Umineko as good as I've been led to believe?

^^ If the liveblog is making you enjoy the show less, stop. That's why I stopped mine.

^ no
    I'm through the prologue of Episode 2, and yes.

It takes forever to introduce everyone, but that winds up making you give a shit, where the Anime's abbreviated introductions led, when I tried to watch it, to me not even being able to identify all of the characters.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    The first episode of Umineko has a vastly different atmosphere to the other 7, however. Simply due to a lack of Beatrice.
    Okay, I need help.

In the version of Saya no Uta I have, the text comes out a bit wonky if the locale is not set to Japan.  I go through the instructions to be able to run things with the Japanese locale, and I do like it says and right click the .exe to run it with the Japanese locale...

And it asks me what I want to run the file with.

It's an .exe.

Halp.
    Can't you just set your whole system to the Japanese locale? That's what I always do.
    I changed my location to Japan, and that didn't do anything.
  • edited 2011-08-14 16:01:20
    No, it's not your location. On the little thing where you change your location, switch to "Administrative" and click on "Change System Locale."

Note that while it's enabled, all non-unicode programs (which isn't many; all I've run into are the iTunes updater and Nethack) will display in Japanese.
    Oh.  Hold on.
  • edited 2011-08-14 16:01:33

It's not your location, it's your system locale.  It's in the "Administrative" tab in the place where you change your location and whatnot.  At least, it is if you're on Windows 7.  Dunno about other OSes.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd.

It worked.

I'll start reading (and probably finish, if it's as short as Everest says) it tonight.
  • edited 2011-08-14 16:09:57
    On the subject of Saya no Uta, am I the only one who thought some (definitely not all) of the backgrounds looked less squicky and more cool?
    Now that my question has been answered, I decree that this thread become the official IJBM VN discussion thread.

Or something.
    Visual Novels are Bad.

Prove me Wrong.