If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Forzare no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry: Higurashi Liveblog)

edited 2011-08-09 10:39:40 in Liveblogging
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8 (NEW! 8/9)

So, after several days of bitching and moaning about doing a liveblog, I've decided to MAN THE FUCK UP and do it. 

I'll be playing/reading (what's the proper verb for Visual Novels, anyway) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, the first entry in the When They Cry series by 7th Expansion.

"But Forzare!"  You might be asking in your nasally, whiny voices.  "What is Higurashi about?" To that I say to shut your whore mouth and be patient, I'm getting there. 

But why explain myself, when I can ask Wikipedia?
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa (雛見沢?) (based on the village of Shirakawa, Gifu, a World Heritage Site),[1][2] which has a population of approximately 2,000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Houjou. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.
Go to hell, Wikipedia.  You suck.  I think I almost fell asleep copy/pasting that.

Basically, Higurashi is Groundhog Day with ultraviolence and lolis.  Only way better than that.

Note: This is a semi-blind liveblog.  I haven't gone through any of the VN yet, but I have seen the anime.

Note 2: Instead of using the original art, I've downloaded the PS2 graphics mod, where the sprites and such are replaced by the infinitely better PS2 versions', because I don't feel like looking at this for hours.
OH GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR HANDS

Ahem.

ALRIGHT LETS START THIS SUCKER UP

I start it up, and...

I see we aren't wasting any time getting to the fanservice.

As the title screen fades in, there is a looped track of cicadas.  I have a bad feeling that I will quickly grow to hate this sound.

>>start

The game is split into chapters, or arcs, or whatever.  Each represents a different iteration in the groundhog day loop.  The first is Onikakushi-hen, the "Spirited Away By The Demon" chapter.  It says that the difficulty is high, but that's kind of a weird thing to say about a kinetic novel with no choices or anything.  Maybe it's just boring and hard to get through.  i dunno lol

The game starts with a quote.
who

The next sceen is punctuated by a woosh and a thud.
Good to know.

woosh, thud
The eighties? Fuck.  I hate the eighties.

woosh, thud
I live in a world of pain.  All of my thoughts are suffering.  Kill me.

The main viewpoint character seems to be having an inner monologue.  Apparently, he's just been through a bad breakup, or so I gather from what we've seen so far.

Never mind.  Our hero seems to be a robot.

hahaha the game is called higurashi

what a coincidence

Incidentally, the cicadas have started up again.

Stopped saying what?  That she loved you?  Man up, dude.  It's just a girl, there's other fish in the sea.

Well if she stopped loving you like you say, of course she didn't cry.  You got dumped.  It happens.

That's the spirit!  She doesn't love you!  You don't need her!

And you were doing so well, too.

Hearing voices now?  Uh-oh.  This doesn't bode well for our robotic leading man.  Or woman.  I dunno lol

BACKSLIDING

Next, on Higurashi, our hero cries into his pillow and writes some emo poetry.

You poor bastard.

...but I cannot self-terminate.

Black flowers of pain and anguish.

Your right...

Oh god.  I think I'm beginning to understand those mechanical motions he was talking about.  And why the room is so dark.

TMI, dude.  T-M-friggin-I.

woosh, thud
woosh, thud
And her pretty other things.  ~eyebrow waggle~

woosh, thud
Um.

It's the quiet, shy ones you gotta watch out for, I guess.

oh god

woosh, thud, and an unpleasant splattering noise

oh god
;_;  is that what they're calling it nowadays

BITCH BROKE YOUR HEART, CUT THAT SHIT OUT

woosh, thud
wait, no

And that's the end of part one of my Higurashi liveblog!  So, to recap:  Our possibly robotic hero sat all alone in a dark room, crying and masturbating at the same time over a girl that broke up with him, whom he still loved.  Or so I gather.

This is my first liveblog, so comments, suggestions, whatever are welcome.

See you next time, everybody!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Our possibly robotic hero sat all alone in a dark room, crying and masturbating at the same time over a girl that broke up with him, whom he still loved.  Or so I gather.

Just from reading that, it sounded more like either a suicide or a murder.
  • I lol'd many times.  Do not stop ever.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    also that
  • edited 2011-08-02 03:56:38
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^^ [I know, I watched the anime.]

^, ^^ I will!

Also, I was kind of afraid that it would seem like I was trying too hard.
  • edited 2011-08-02 04:02:16
    The hands...what is with the hands in those first two shots?!

Also, awesome all around.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    OH MY GOD WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR HANDS

dramatic readings...emotion...INCEPTION wait what

lol
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Also, in future updates, I probably won't post every word in the story. I just did it this time because I wanted to so wildly misinterpret it.
  • edited 2011-08-02 07:18:28
    IJBM: Accidentally hitting "Post" before you're ready.
    ?
  • edited 2011-08-04 19:46:16
    ^Accidentally hit Post a bit prematurely.

BUT ANYWAY

FORZARE NO NAKU KORO NI, PART DEUX

You poor bastard.  No ice cream?  That's just cruel.

Apparently unable to bear thinking about his horrible, neglected childhood, his thoughts turn back to the apology girl. 

It got amusing then.

The hillbilly joke kind of lost me.

Needed more running gags about masturbating robots >_> You had the perfect set up for it, man!
  • edited 2011-08-02 08:31:20

That's what I get for doing this when I haven't slept in roughly thirty hours.

And it's early yet.  >.>
  • edited 2011-08-04 19:47:25
    FORZARE NO NAKU KORO NI, PART THREE

He's a romantically retarded lolicon robot.

Who likes to masturbate to girls breaking up with him. Important detail.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fix'd.
  • You can change. You can.
    I'm on the first part and I have to say that this liveblog is the shit.

I totally made it. Forzare just stole it from my computer while we were playing TF2
  • edited 2011-08-02 10:13:33
    I totally made it. Forzare just stole it from my computer while we were playing TF2

Seriously though, thanks.
    The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available

what does this mean

:O
    Stupid images.
    Also, for the record...

We then learn that he apparently lives in Bumfuck, Nowhere. 

It's Butfuck, Alabama, to you, mister. 
    wait a minute

he lives in buttfuck, alabama

he's a creepy lolicon borderline-rapist

I FIGURED OUT WHO KEIICHI REMINDS ME OF

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Banned for insulting a moderator
  • I assure you, all of Alabama is Buttfuck, Alabama.
    We can certainly agree. 

It applies to the whole of the south, actually. 
  • Nah, not the whole of the South.  There are a few non-horrible places.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I assure you, all of Alabama is Buttfuck, Alabama.
    Eh, there are different levels of it. Getting the hell out of Tuscaloosa and moving to the outskirts of Birmingham was great.
  • edited 2011-08-04 19:48:00
    FORZARE NO NAKU KORO NI, PART FOUR
  • Oh man this is hilarious.