If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• edited 2011-08-02 16:02:00
    You can change. You can.
    Anyone here actually already write out analysis on TVT?

I would, if I tought it was any good. 

"You cannot have less than 100 or more than 400 words"?

More like, "This review doesn't have 200 words. As such, you can post it"

I can't think of a maximum, really. But a minimum should prevent one sentence reviews. 
  • edited 2011-08-02 16:03:06
    @Scrye: And then someone adds a Your Mileage May Vary at the end.
  • edited 2011-08-02 16:03:44
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^^ Yes, that.

^ And that. While some people do need to be reminded that subjectivity exists, YMMV is used far too much on the wiki. On the upside, it's used occasionally on other sites. 
  • edited 2011-08-02 16:06:41

I can't think of a maximum, really. But a minimum should prevent one sentence reviews.

400 is the maximum right now.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah, I really have a big issue with subjectivity brought up oh so much in the wiki. And with the YMMV namespace, as it is pretty much, "Metafiction tropes by another name"
  • YMMV is the great escape hatch for Tvtropes to avoid being dogpiled it seems.
  • edited 2011-08-02 16:08:41
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Like people who tout their opinions as fact then immediately hide behind YMMV when faced with the slightestt criticism? *CoughSignedCough*.
    400 is the maximum right now.

Maybe it's just me...but I raelly don't see how 400 words is the minimum for a review. :s
  • edited 2011-08-02 16:08:35
    Electric Boogaloo
    ^^YMMV about Signed.
    Signed only goes to board I'll never touch.

Something tells me that I should be happy about this. 
  • Poot dispenser here
    Eh, the Analysis namespace does need to be emphasized a lot more, but some people just seem to use the Reviews namespace anyways.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    OTC? 

Yeah, that board is bad even by TVT standards. 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Agreed. So. Much.

Don't go there. Not even to mock it. Just...don't. The things I've seen, man...
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    @Juan: the Fetish thread?
    No, like I said, OTC.

There are things, man. 
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I disagree, the character type of Tsundere may have existed since
    antiquity but it was codified by the japanese, and they made a term for
    it. Yandere can be argued to be a type that exists since women scorned
    exist, the other deres can go fuck themselves.

I think the Tsun/Yan would be perfectly fine if they weren't so hardwired into vague definitions and specific gimmicky character archetypes like TYPE A and TYPE B and what not. The fact that a simple one-word definition was made for them besides Bipolar Bitch or Mezmerized Psycho, and I generally like those words. It's just the fact that there's too much involved with them (like Cookie Cutter Cuties and....generally ANY trope that has to deal with female characters for some odd reason), is what bugs me about them.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Zettai Ryouiki

It occurs so much I don't even think we should list examples of it unless it's intentionally used and brought up somehow in the series, since wearing long socks, and the watchers being attracted to them, is too common for this kind of thing....
  • Hello, Color Printer.

What does that bring the "number of tropers who jumped ship to SA" count to?
    Four, I think.
    3 recent ones, a couple others who jumped ship a long time ago posted a while back too.
    IIRC, that'd be Goggle Fox, Shlpaintogan, Miijhal and Color Printer here. 
  • edited 2011-08-02 17:06:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Vicas > First off, yes, the TVTropes thread on SA bashes TVT to the point that it often becomes hyperbole. You can say that's unfair, and you're completely correct. But you know what? That's completely fine. Does the thread on SA exist to try to make a concerted effort to change TVT? No. Is it trying to make a well reasoned argument to leech TVT of users? Some people might say so, but no, not really. It exists because it's funny. You might disagree, and honestly it's fine. Humor is subjective, especially when it comes to taking the piss out of other people. Don't worry about that.  But when it comes down to it, we're posting in this thread to laugh. We don't hate you as people (well, not all of you), we don't want to try to change you, we want to point at stupid shit people on your forum/wiki post and laugh. That's it. Maybe some people on SA think of it as something more, but when it comes down to it reading ridiculous shit said on TVT makes me laugh. Reading ridiculous shit that is completely made up and exaggerated but sounds like a more extreme version of things that are said on TVT also makes me laugh. It's not debate club, I don't care if what I'm saying isn't strictly true. That's humor to me.

Fair enough; I totally understand (even if some members here do not), even though I don't share your taste for this form of humor.

And I also know that y'all aren't demonspawn from hell and are pretty cool guys who retsupuraes videos and doesn't afraid of translating indie games by EasyGameStation.

(I happen to be playing Recettear at the moment, in fact.  AND ALL Y'ALL PEOPLE POSTING HERE ARE KEEPING ME FROM IT ARGH)

@Vicas > TVT often treats tropes as the be all, end all of analysis: by pointing out a recurring theme you are analyzing it. Mods have gone on record saying that TVT is about cataloging, categorizing, as if you can do that and call it analysis. And frankly this is just untrue.  Real analysis requires discussion about why an author did what they did.

TV Tropes does have tropes for creator intention, and many tropes that seem to simply catalog instances of something actually exist because people started doing them on purpose for various plot, setting, and character design reasons.

@Vicas > It requires understanding of the cultural context that surrounds the work's creation. It requires introspection, to see how what they did relates to you and your own human experience. It gives you a deeper understanding of the work as a whole and hopefully teaches you something about yourself and your own life experience, too. That's the whole point; it's why we teach literature in school in the first place.

I totally agree.  However, that doesn't mean that that introspection and analysis requires the same approach as teaching literature in school.  In that way, and in reply to the below quoted text...

@Vicas > Honestly, TVT used to have some of this. It would explain where a trope first came up and the reasons it existed. However, as time has worn on pages that contain this have become rarer, in favor of more tropes that are literally just "yup, this happened in more than one work." And so many things are so banal and inconsequential that it's impossible to read into them at all, but TVT gives those things just as much credence as major themes and recurring character archetypes.  The reason this makes me call TVT anti-intellectual is that putting works into neat little boxes only really works well for a narrow subset of works, and when you try to apply it to something more complicated, it causes you to lose some parts that can't just be written into a neat category. Is there a trope that explains how Catcher in the Rye will make a completely different impact on someone based on when in their age? Can tropes really get across the hilarity of Catch-22, make a troper feel bad for Lt. Slothrop's situation and attempts to escape fate in Gravity's Rainbow, convey the horror Lovecraft was trying to get across?

...I'd say that TV Tropes is more of a tool than a be-all-and-end-all of analysis.  For starters, analysis is pretty subjective and often coloured by our own real-life experiences as well as our own history of creative work consumption.  TV Tropes isn't here to say that such-and-such is THE definitive interpretation of a Shakespeare play or a Konami game.  It's here to offer analysis tools, suggest ideas and perspectives, and let people bounce ideas around.  At least, that's what I see it being for.

Now, there is a danger of people getting too reliant on trope-based thinking, and trying to shoehorn tropes hamfistedly into their interpretations of works.  I don't think this is a good idea, but I would say that the debate that springs sooner or later from these actions does have a positive impact in our understanding how cultural and creative understanding vary over time and space.

@Vicas > Classic books often give us abstract concepts to wrangle with, and tropes just can't explain these very well.

I disagree.  First, tropes are often pretty abstract concepts anyway.  But more importantly, modern creative work also gives us abstract concepts to wrangle with.  Not to mention all sorts of possible alternative interpretations...

And classic lit, back in the day, was pop lit itself.  I doubt that a lot of people who went to see Shakespeare's plays at the Globe had philosophical issues and deep story themes on the mind.

The only reason your statement here seems true is because there's been more analysis of classic lit...including, ironically, more people trying to shoehorn themes into interpretations of classic lit.

@Vicas > You can't use tropes to tell your friend why this amazing book helped you come to terms with your parent's break up, or showed you you weren't the only one who acted like a stupid teenager, and felt what you felt.

I agree that tropes are not the be-all-and-end-all of literary analysis.  However, I _have_ found them to be useful tools for analysis.  And especially for design.

For example, what if I'm designing a game, and I want to give the player that emotional drive that I experienced in a particularly heart-wrenching scene in Cave Story.  Well, the Player Punch trope page is a useful listing of how some other designers did similar things, and this can help advise me on how I might script such a scene.

@Vicas > All it helps you do is play I Spy with works. Is anything really gained from that? It doesn't teach you how to write. Tropes aren't even about writing, tropes are the result of writing. Writing with tropes explicitly in mind is stifling, because everything you write has to be a nice little lego structure. It's just not good for your writing.

TV Tropes was never meant as a teaching tool. :P

You're totally right in that writing with tropes explicitly in mind is a very bad thing.  One possible result is what we typically call "pandering", in fact.

And by the way, welcome to IJBM!

----

@GLORIOUSLeader > Fixed that for you. Right now, the worst pages are probably the Victorious, iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, and MLP: FIM pages. Dear God, the creep factor of shoehorning sexuality into a show about ponies. What is wrong with you.

I see it has been a good decision on my part not to touch the MLP fandom with a ten-foot pole.

Except in the context of Youtube Poop.  All bets are off there.  Though they haven't produced particularly good poops yet.  Except for that one that's MLPFIM scenes dubbed with a video of people abusing Moonbase Alpha's text-to-speech, set to Super Mario Bros. 2 music.

@INUH > I definitely agree that not enough people bother with the analysis aspect of troping in favor of cataloguing.

Perhaps I'll have to look into this analysis feature further.

I've always been cataloguing stuff myself, even before the site existed, so the site was a pretty natural match for my interests in cataloguing.

That said, yes, cataloguing can go a little overboard, when you have people making a big deal about, say, a background character in an animé series who happens to be a girl with glasses.  Then again, if the fandom is bothering to make a big deal about it...that kinda invokes a different trope, this time an audience reaction phenomenon.

@Juan_Carlos > I dislike that they claim to do [analysis].

Oh, TVT does claim that?  Oh well, then I disagree with that claim.

@Neo_Crimson > As for the lack of analysis, Tv Tropes does have an analysis namespace, but it's woefully under-used. I think that's mostly due to people being lazy and the looseness of the wiki in general.

Hunh.  I REALLY oughta look into it.

@INUH > I think one thing that would at least improve TV Tropes would be to start a campaign, based from a special efforts thread on TV Tropes, to make better use of the Analysis namespace and another to work on good articles for...not really sure what the phrase to use would be, but if I say "works of literary merit," I imagine you'll all know what I mean.

That sounds like a great idea.

Let me know about the thread and I'll stop by sometime, if you start such an effort.

Though I can't say I'll be able to contribute much...I've got a handful of YKTTWs that I've been neglecting already...

@Scrye2 > @Kino: I tried to get TV Tropes out of their usual hugbox attitude, but I gots banneded.

I don't think the problem is the hugbox attitude anyway.  Adding more bile wouldn't solve problems like people shoehorning tropes and stuff.

@GLORIOUSLeader > What bothers me is no matter how good our analysis of any work is, it could not ever parallel Uncyclopedia's analysis of "go eat shit fuckers."

You mean this?

...uh...oh, wow.

several people > OTC

LOL, OTC
  • edited 2011-08-02 17:15:29
    Very well said, Vicas. For what it's worth, I do agree with you that TVTropes in practice focuses far more on cataloging versus analysis, and would very likely benefit from more of the latter.

edit: @Color Printer, from the SA Thread: "Related to the work on a troper's un-made work, there are also a few
    quotes on a few quote pages by one guy (a troper, surprise) that are
    from a work of his that doesn't event exist yet. I almost removed them
    but I figured they'd get re-added, considering they'd been there a
    while. They were awful quotes, too, I wish I remembered what pages they
    were on."

Actually, you would have been correct to do so. Unpublished works are not protected under No Such Thing As Notability, and should not be used on the main articles at all.

By "published" here I mean "exists in some meaningful way that allows other editors to review it" whether that is in physical paper form or somewhere on the internet where it can be openly viewed. So anyone who does see these types of works being listed can remove them, and if they get added back in, report them on Ask The Tropers for mod intervention.

• @GMH: The problem with saying that "we don't want bile", is that the definition of bile has been stretched so much, that saying anything that isn't positive makes it a target for cutting or thumping. It's too confrontational. Might make someone upset.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Engrish_Ivy: Perhaps I have not hung out at Trope Repair Shop and Wiki Talk and Special Efforts for far too long, then.
    Question, would I be able to take a scythe to all the creepy sexual tropes on MLP character page for being too much information and being creepy sexual stuff and not get edit banned or something?
  • If you do, could you also scythe the ones on the Madoka character page? Thanks.
  • edited 2011-08-02 17:26:59
    To be fair, Madoka Magica is just a moe fanservice anime, or at least that's the impression I get from the fans.
    BTW, get rid of everything perverted. Ever.

And I'll give you a crown that says "Purger of the impure"

Made of blood and flesh.

It'll be neat. 
  • edited 2011-08-02 17:32:12
    Electric Boogaloo
    @Glennmagusharvey: The hugbox only encourages it though, since when someone shoehorns something retarded like

"Fakkuheddo-kun Took A Level In Badass when he told the cashier he didn't want to supersize his order, because up until this point, he's been sort of a Shrinking Violet and had trouble saying no to anyone who pressured him into anything. Also counts as a Crowning Moment Of Awesome"

all they get in response are

"OMG I loved that part too! *Off to the gush thread to gush about you!*"

instead of people being able to tell them that that is a horrible fucking example, and that the character is still a bitch.

Because negativity hurts feelings, and criticism is inherently negative. Can't have criticism in our hugbox, now can we?