If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• edited 2011-08-02 12:22:13
    @Scrye: And that's exactly what TVTropes does. Nowhere does the mission indicate that every work will get an equal word count with every other work. TVTropes, like Wikipedia, is a wiki built on the efforts of volunteer editors, and those editors are going to have specific areas of interest. When more editors have an interest in one area than others, Wiki-groaning occurs.

I did not mention Something Awful to imply that they should have more threads on classical literature. I was simply using them as an example to indicate that the phenomenon of "the majority of the user base is more interested in popular media" is far from a TVTropes only issue.

I'm pointing out that TVTropes is being held to an unfair standard that no other general-interest-media site meets. And that is a fact that is ignored in an effort to have more stuff to complain about.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    People Sitting On Chairs is the best/worst argument to make to kill off all Realistic Fiction tropes
    Realism and PSOC aren't related at all. PSOC means "elements that weren't included for any particular reason."
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:19:15
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

^^^^Exactly, which is a headscratcher as to why posting continues, because no one clearly likes the situation nor the people that add to the conflict.

But no, that is not what you are saying at all and I just used your choice of words as a retort.

• You can change. You can.
    Exactly, which is a headscratcher as to why posting continues, because no one clearly likes the situation nor the people that add to the conflict.

Not liking the situation discussed doesn't mean that the discussion is disliked as well. I, for one, find it very interesting. 

But no, that is not what you are saying at all and I just used your choice of words as a retort.

No, that is what I'm saying. Whether there is a misunderstanding or whatever, it doesn't make my intended message any different. 
  • Electric Boogaloo
    @INUH: I think the only credence I can lend to your argument is that TV Tropes has way too many non-tropes as "tropes because they effect character design." I was going to use "An author could design a character who wears a white t-shirt once in a while, but that doesn't mean wearing a white t-shirt is a trope." It then dawned on me that there probably is an entry for white t-shirts on Tv Tropes.

I think the most character/story significance glasses can really offer are when they play a central role to the plot or character's relevance to it, or pretty much Velma just can't see without her glasses.

Everywhere else, it's either fetishism or a bitch just has poor eyesight, like many do.
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:26:41
    You can change. You can.
    I think the most character/story significance glasses can really offer are when they play a central role to the plot or character's relevance to it, or pretty much Velma just can't see without her glasses.

@INUH: I think the only credence I can lend to your argument is that TV Tropes has way too many non-tropes as "tropes because they effect character design." I was going to use "An author could design a character who wears a white t-shirt once in a while, but that doesn't mean wearing a white t-shirt is a trope." It then dawned on me that there probably is an entry for white t-shirts on Tv Tropes.

There're many tropes like that that annoy me. Bowties Are Cool comes to mind. Yes, it's a Doctor Who quote, I get it, and it's hilarious, but it's nothing but a character wearing a bowtie. If there was something special to said bowtie, I'd understand, but wearing a bowtie is not a pervassive element in media that many authors use to convey a point. 
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    All in favor of a purge?
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:29:36
    ^^ If that's all the trope is about, take it to TRS. Plenty of tropes have been cut for being PSOC in the past, or gone through redefinitions/example trimmings to remove the bad examples from an otherwise good concept.
    I'd probably do it if it wasn't because I don't really care for the wiki that much, my input sucks and because I'm not what I'd consider a good editor. Yes, I'm aware this clashes with what I've said before, but I never claimed to not be one of the people I've mentioned before. 
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:37:04
    ^^^^^ (Puts on monocle and top hat) I suppose then it was my choice of words that got the better of me in that regard after all as "the thread" was rightly stated. However, as you do find certain enlightenment in conversation about a bunch of pretentious assholes, it is quite boring to one in my position of not caring and disheartening that such  trival situations are occupying valuable time of my peers in which could be creating a less exclusive conversation.
    @Juan: Say it ain't so; I was looking forward to your aid in the coming purge.
     I suppose then it was my choice of words that got the better of me in that regard after all as "the thread" was rightly stated. However, as you do find certain enlightenment in conversation about a bunch of pretentious assholes, it is quite boring to one in my position of not caring and disheartening that such trival situations are occupying valuable time of my peers in which could be creating a less exclusive conversation.

Welp, I'm deeply sorry that we're not entertaining you. Maybe I should wear a red nose and some clown makeup next time?
    Who's that guy?
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:38:21
    ^^No, that's terrifying. The Sam Jackson pic will do just fine.
  • FWIW, I'm seconding the Juan Carlos only posting In Clown Get-Up motion.

All in favor?
    Who's that guy?

Some U2 guitar player. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Aye.
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:41:29
    ^^Yep! Strange for me to use The Edge's name for my username and a Muse album cover for my user pic. Obvious what kind of music I like though.
    I won't do it till two other posters agree. 
    Jaun is changing to a clown? Shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    Jaun is changing to a clown? Shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Well, that shows the lesson that should never give a fuck when you aren't supposed to give a fuck.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    PAYASO! PAYASO! PEGASO! PAYASO!
    ¡HOLA NIÑOS!
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Oh god, you are killing me.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    OH NO! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
  • edited 2011-08-02 12:51:28
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Same here, but in a different way than what Vandro means.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"
  • Wait, are we talking about SA, TV Tropes, or Juan Carlos' avatar?
  • All of the above?