If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"My Way or the Highway" Attitude in Pokémon

AHRAHR
edited 2011-07-07 14:05:42 in General
Sometimes, I think people need to let the people who want to breed a team with a shuckle, a sunkern and a luvdisc just set up their team, and learn the hard way. Because really, otherwise you come off as douchebaggish and dream crushing.

Comments

• $80+ per session
    I agree. People who play it competively need to get off people's backs and let them train what they want. I catch and train Pokemon for many reasons. Maybe I like the way it looks, its cry, its type, its moves, its stats, its name. I should be able to catch and train whatever I want. So what if two of my favorite Pokemon happen to be Butterfree and Spinda?
  • But I used Shuckle in Gen 2...

,,,and it was good!
  • edited 2011-07-07 14:31:07
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    On the flip side people who say "I use the Pokemon I want and there's nothing you Stop Having Fun Guys can do about it!" when people start talking about the metagame are just as obnoxious.
  • edited 2011-07-07 14:17:33
    No rainbow star
    There are two kinds of teams. Casual/In Game, and Competitive

So really, no need for competitive players to get pissy about casual players (exception: The casual player uses an uber against your non uber team. God that one Darkrai... Although I guess it was only fair. My Kingdra was way too strong for the rest of his team. Eventually had to use two Pokemon - one an uber holding a chesfo berry (<3 Garchomp) and the other Kingdra to stand a chance...)

Edit: Oh, right, and exception two being when casuals bitch in a thread/conversation about competitive

...I still remember wrecking people in OU using Lum Berry Grass Whistle Sceptile and Itemless Thief Electrode :D
  • Neo: Very true. But it depends. For instance, there was a certain person I knew who would act as if she was better than competitive gamers, because she was playing the game "for fun."

Others I know, are just annoyed at being told they shouldn't raise a pokémon.

• $80+ per session
    I CHALLENGE YOU AHR
  • I have no wireless. Challenge me in September, when I'm at college ;P
  • This is why I'm glad most of my favorite pokemon are OU.
  • $80+ per session
    DEAL. BRING YOUR FAVORITE POKEMON, NOT YOUR STRONGEST.

(Not that those are mutually exclusive)
  • No, if they want to raise a Luvdisc, you have to steer them straight. Other than that, I agree.
  • edited 2011-07-07 14:39:07
    No rainbow star
    I'll also battle once I finish White (Nuzlocke Challenges that you are writing a story about take a while...)
  • Radd: Like I said in the OP, let them figure it out by themselves.
  • It seems cruel not to tell them.
  • Well, you can tell them. There is a difference between telling them something, and said attitude I am referring to.
  • Oh, good. Because otherwise I would have fallen under that attitude because I told somebody all about stats and crap a few months back. 
  • People should use what ever Pokemon they want.
  • edited 2011-07-07 16:59:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I made it through most of Platinum with a Bibarel being one of my most-used mons. Wouldn't use her competitively, but she wasn't as bad as I always thought from hearing people talk.
  • My current team, as of SoulSilver (the last game I got); Typhlosion, Togekiss, Scyther, Aggron, Slowbro and Ampharos.
  • INUH: Bibarel is hated due to its...slave ness and derpness, not its skillset.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh? I kept hearing people mentioning it's stats.
  • "While Bibarel has an amazing offensive STAB combination, its shallow usable movepool and base stats leave a lot to be desired. However, Bibarel has a saving grace on the battlefield as an awesome Baton Pass recipient thanks to its unique ability, Simple."

STAB is good, but when you're going comp, it doesn't have a good move range.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ah. I see.

I really don't know too much about competetive play; I'm too busy going for completionism right now.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Question: I've been considering getting back into Pokemon, starting with Pokemon: Black, and I was wondering about something: does anyone know how many competitive players use things like Pokesav to alter their Pokemon and optimize their stats and movesets, or make them shiny? How often does this happen?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ No idea, but it is frowned upon to be that direct last I checked

However, using AR to fast hatch, look at IV's, things like that seems to be common place, as is cloning
  • Man, I lost interest in Pokemon a while ago.

It just wasn't jiving with me. I dunno why. 
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I'll never get all this IVs and Natures stuff. EVs I get it a little, and that's it. I do give Macho Brace to my Pokémon when I train them though
  • No rainbow star
    ^ What don't you understand? I can take a crack at explaining
  • $80+ per session
    I oculd also explain it very easily.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The EVs from enemy pokemon and randomized IV shit gets annoying way more than it should be.

Wish they would just improve the calcium/hp up method, and get rid of the "kill 64 abras to get 256 SP ATK EVs" thing.
  • $80+ per session
    I agree.