If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Apparently everyone hates Kino

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Tongpu hates not just all life. But all everything, iirc.

GuitarBizarre was and is a moron. Nothing more.
  • edited 2011-02-13 20:54:12
    Cue-bey
    I think I may have made some enemies over at Image Pickin'.

How?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Arguments over there get really heated sometimes. You would not believe how much Serious Business picking page images can be.
  • I only suggested things in the really uncontroversial pages, like reality warper.
    Hm. Did you follow the threads for those to the end?
  • Yeah, other people gave suggestions, there was a vote, and the image was changed.
    Huh. Maybe it's just the threads I've seen.
  • Suggesting a new picture for Magnificent Bastard was funny. Somebody suggested Light Yagami and the thread exploded.

THAT WAS ME

• I wasn't there; what did they say about Light Yagami being the picture?
  • edited 2011-02-13 22:44:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    There was a lengthy debate today on whether it counted as I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream if the person can communicate, but only with useless, predetermined lines.

^I would assume Just A Face And A Caption.
  • edited 2011-02-13 22:45:54
    Just A Face And A Caption, presumably. That's what they say (or at least used to say) to anything with a face in it.
    ^That's still the term in use, yes.

And that's not how it's used. It's anything you have to be familiar with the work to understand its relevance to the Trope.
  • They were going "What is with you people and anime pictures?" and then it derailed into a Death Note debate, a Anime fan/weeaboo debate, then super thumping happened, and the thread was destroyed. Back in October.
  • edited 2011-02-13 23:00:29
    ^^That's how it should be used, but that's what various tropers would call to an image prominently featuring a character, no matter how said character's looks, pose, visible actions or whatever represents the trope.

I guess I should point out I'm basing this on observations from around the time both YAFAAC and Image Pickin' were new.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-02-13 23:00:18
    ^^If only more threads would end that way.
  • edited 2011-02-13 23:05:13

^^^^ Which I think is fair.

^^^ Which I think is seriously reactionary and stupid on part of the anti-weeaboo contingency.

^^ I once brought up an image of Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena as an example of Mukokuseki, but it got written off as Just A Face and a Caption. Even though the face (or more specifically, the appearance of it) had everything to do with the trope, and you only need to take one look at it to realize that.

Regarding the Anime stuff, a recent thread proved that Anime pictures are actually slightly less likely to get picked than most others, so that has since died down.

Regarding misuse of JAFAAC, it's pretty common, but in most cases (with the exception of that Mukokuseki one, which was pretty bad), the rest of the thread will then tell the misuser that they're wrong.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I sometimes find me itching for a nice big fat serving of animé flamewarring.
  • GuitarBizarre was and is a moron

I beg to differ; he may be an asshole but he's no moron. Remember the "American Life Lessons" thread?

And I don't hate Kino.

• So, what was up with the American Life Lessons thread?
  • Basically points out how Yack Fest's "hugboxing" is but a well-crafted delusion to shield some tropers from the harshness of real life. It's close to escapism in a way.

Note that I'm only repeating how I understood that post way way back a few months ago, so please don't flame me. D:

• Ah. So, is that all it was about? For some reason, I was expecting some sort of enormous bitch-fest that ended up dividing the fora, or something along those lines. :/
  • Well this one certainly shocked the general psyche of Yack Fest, for obvious reasons.
    Well, I disagree with him, but that may be because I rarely ever touch the giant threads.
  • People are giving him too much credit though. All of the new people in yackfest never saw that thread, so it's effects have died down a lot.
  • I'd say the effect is all but gone, actually. It's only people like me who don't even go there anymore who still remember it.
    Funnyguts: no, I mean rebutting some fool's point's about anime being crap or JRPGs being a dying breed or something.
  • edited 2011-02-14 14:18:02
    Basically points out how Yack Fest's "hugboxing" is but a well-crafted delusion to shield some tropers from the harshness of real life. It's close to escapism in a way.

Note that I'm only repeating how I understood that post way way back a few months ago, so please don't flame me. D:

Something like this (in the context of how we react to DLC) is the only thing I remember from GB, so it's a bit hard for me not to hold him in some high regard.
    His main complaint has been with DLC; I haven't heard specifics from him about this issue other than regarding DLC.

Which is why I just tune him out when he rants about DLC.
  • Does he still rant about DLC? She's been gone a while now.
This discussion has been closed.