If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GMH plays Pokémon Perfect Crystal: the Quest for the Full Pokédex

1101112131416»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > level 23 Weezing

I could complain, but I have a level 16 Weezing in one of my boxes.
  • edited 2024-03-16 12:54:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    dangit, selfdestruct

what a waste of XP
    Arnie just called me to ask me how to catch a pidgey and what its weakness is
  • edited 2024-03-16 12:59:08
    the 4th floor of the Celadon Goldenrod City Dept. Store is called the "Medicine Box" but it sells stat-boosting items and is described as "Let us pump up your pokémon!". Heh.

(Technically, said stat-boosting items are nutrients, so I guess in-universe it makes sense. Though, amusingly I went up to that floor looking for healing items at first.)

I appreciated playing the game in my younger years when I wasn't able to notice "problems" like these, heh. I really wish I still had that innocence.
    darnit, another selfdestruct
    lol, this Rocket Grunt had his last pokémon use Selfdestruct, then laments that he got disposed of
    > Raticate used Scary Face
    > Shellder used Aurora Beam
    > Raticate used Quick Attack, deals a little damage
    > Shellder used Aurora Beam
    > Raticate used Hyper Fang; Shellder is at about half HP
    > Shellder used Aurora Beam, lowers Raticate's attack
    > Raticate used Quick Attack
    > Shellder used Aurora Beam; Raticate at very low HP
    > Raticate used Hyper Fang; Shellder at very low HP
    > Shellder used Tackle...and gets a miss

oof
    Why are you using Scary Face on things you already outspeed

such as a Slowpoke
    note to self: when confronted with a Weezing, just send out Feraligatr to flush it out with Surf
    So apparently you can still Dig while Wrapped.

and Wrap still does damage anyway.
    seen: Vileplume
    > FERALIGATR used SURF!

"Here comes the toilet!!"
    why would you keep a Koffing to level 35?
    oh crap, it's a level 38 Houndoom, and it's clogging my toilet
    > Feraligatr at 7 HP
    > Houndoom used Smog
    > Feraligatr at 1 HP
    > Feraligatr used Surf
    > Feraligatr missed, because the Koffing used Smokescreen earlier

oof

okay, fine
    Finally cleared the Radio Tower incident!
  • edited 2024-03-16 13:53:33
    Y'know it's actually rather impressive that they managed to basically make two or three dungeons out of some really tight spaces there. Go up the Radio Tower once to get the key into the underground basement, go through the basement to get the card key (and it connects back to the Dept. Store), go up (half) the Radio Tower a second time in order to finally finish the incident. And that all involved four different trainer classes -- Rocket Grunt, Rocket Executive, Burglar, and Scientist.
    Current options:
    * explore east from Mahogany Town
    * teach Whirlpool to something and explore the Whirl Islands
    * continue chasing Team Rocket to stop whatever they're reportedly doing in the Tin Tower
    * continue doing The Fruit Tree Rounds
  • edited 2024-03-20 16:30:52
    pretty limited options for sticking Whirlpool on something

it's just so weak of a move that it's not worth much

current options: Tentacruel?, Kingler??, Quagsire??, Azumarill??
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Azumarill, it's cute.
    Its moveset doesn't leave much room for a substandard utility move.

Rollout <-- spectacular move. also neat type coverage.
    Defense Curl <-- synergizes with Rollout. always need this with Rollout.
    BubbleBeam <-- or replace this with Surf for a more powerful but less distinctive water move.
    Double-Edge <-- or replace this with some other normal-type move. like Strength, which is less powerful but doesn't do recoil damage.

There's a reason I put only one question mark on Tentacruel, and it's because it has the most compatible moveset.

My current moveset, on a level 30 Tentacruel: Wrap, Acid, Surf, BubbleBeam.

There's two obviously replaceable slots: Wrap and BubbleBeam. The choices I have for replacing them are Barrier, Screech, and Hydro Pump, and a variety of TMs and HMs.

Hydro Pump can replace BubbleBeam, being the superpowerful water move with only 5 PP. I don't want to get rid of Surf though, both for utility and because it's a good workhorse move.

Barrier might make sense given that physical defense is Tentacruel's dump stat, even though even then it's still not that bad (65 base physical defense).

Screech has limited utility given that Tentacruel will mostly be using special moves (since gen 2 water is always special). I guess I could replace Acid with Sludge Bomb, but still, I've got Surf and Hydro Pump. Or even just either of those, but even Surf has higher base power than Sludge Bomb (95 vs. 90).

So I guess I could pick Whirlpool. Barrier seems more useful in battle but it also feels kinda niche.

If I chucked Surf, I could have Barrier, Whirlpool, Hydro Pump, and Acid/Sludge Bomb, I guess.
    I guess Seaking is another possibility. Horn Attack, Waterfall, and then two other moves, which may be Peck (low power but unusual type coverage), Flail (power varies inversely with HP), Agility (2-stage speed up), Surf (better water move than Waterfall, but also a field move that's pretty much always needed to access a waterfall),...and Whirlpool, I guess.

Its base speed is 68, which isn't great but is passable. Whirlpool and Surf would give it triple TM coverage. OTOH it could do Waterfall and Surf while Tentacool does Whirlpool and Surf.
  • edited 2024-03-21 18:14:03
    I definitely wouldn't replace Double-Edge, I always found recoil damage to be a minimal downide. I'd also consider an ice type move (Ice Punch or Blizzard).
    I've always preferred the 95 damage IIRC 100% accurate moves vs. the 120 damage "upgrades". Less risk, usually the same reward.
    What is your opinion on Flail, as well as two-stage stat boosts like Barrier and Agility?
  • edited 2024-04-14 20:41:11
    Perpetually Peckish
    On Seaking? Flail's unreliable but if you can find a way to stablize its HP around 10-20%, it should pack a punch with Agility boosting its speed. Problem is getting there. Barrier, eh. The defensive stat-boosters are a lot less strong than the offensive ones like Swords Dance, lol.