If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GMH plays Pokémon Perfect Crystal: the Quest for the Full Pokédex

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Seems like the best choices for doing full-dex playthroughs of the gen 1 games are Pure Red, Pure Blue, and Pure Green. They do change quite a bit of the original, though I'd say at least some of the changes are welcome. However, there are some other full-dex hacks that change less.

None of these have infinite-use TMs for some reason.

Also, if I ever want to play Gen IV (the first time they split up physical/special on a per-move basis), it seems I should play Refined Platinum.

(Who knows when I will get around to this.)
    Okay, that's enough progress for now. Next step is to actually reorganize my boxes with this new information.
  • edited 2023-09-16 12:55:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    boxes reorganized.

I moved some things around, mainly to separate out underleveled wild pokémon (leaving their instances of their pre-evolution forms open to training) and Bug-Catching Contest catches, because these I don't want to keep using.

Also I put Flash on Ledyba before and the moveset I want for it doesn't include Flash so I should l also put Ledyba in there. (I already have Ledian anyway, and I actually can't decide between two movesets for this evolutionary line, neither of which contain Flash, so whatever.)

Now to pick Flash, Cut, and Rock Smash users. Well, I have Togepi for that last one for now but I kinda wanna just evolve it and get it over with.

I think I'm gonna go with Hoothoot/Noctowl and Beedrill for the first two for now. Looking forward to making serious use of a Beedrill soon!
    also gonna pick this up, just in case I need to fix any major mistakes: https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/1-pkhex/
    Now that I've re-examined its moveset, Jumpluff is actually a viable Flash user.
    *bet on Metronome luck*

*pray that Selfdestruct/Explosion don't get rolled*

*this happens instead*

qxpo75si492q.png
  • edited 2023-09-19 10:23:33
    Had a close call against Pokémaniac Calvin's Kangaskhan. Thankfully, the combined efforts of my Flaaffy's Thunder Wave inflicting paralysis, my Machop "Muscle" dealing some damage, and my Slowpoke finishing the job with Surf and Confusion were able to save the day and also give Togepi some XP.

Seen: Kangaskhan

But then...

6mm0zi1sp5ac.png

Record #113: Togetic
    I taught Flash to Skiploom. And Cut to Beedrill, before that.

Okay, I got my balls from Kurt and turned in another set of apricorns. Next thing to do: actually decide who to give Rock Smash to.

And I'm still waiting for a chance to get a Shuckle out of one of these rocks I keep smashing...
  • edited 2023-09-18 21:37:39
    Might be worth putting Rock Smash on Pinsir.

That gets me two Rock Smash users other than Togetic. The other one is Machop and its evolutionary line.
    Record #114: Remoraid
    Record #115: Mantine
  • edited 2023-09-19 10:27:46
    Record #116: Unown T
    Record #117: Unown S
    Record #118: Unown W
    Record #119: Unown U
    Record #120: Unown V

Seen: Charmander

Note to self: something in Union Cave (B1F north) requires Strength.

Record #121: Natu

Arnie the Bug Catcher calls to tell me that he's still with his Venonat (yadda yadda) and a Growlithe was easy to beat. Wait, a Growlithe?

Anyway, Natu seems to have some pretty neat stuff. I know it's flying/psychic type, and it seems to come with Peck, Night Shade, and Teleport.

Record #122: Smeargle

I didn't manage to catch this without it sketching me first, but I did specifically hold off for one at level 20. It sketched Tackle, but it'll get another Sketch at level 21.

...I am not going to write up a moveset for Smeargle.

Seen: Unown Y, Unown X

Record #123: Unown Z
    Record #124: Unown Y
    Can't get X to appear, sigh.

Record #125: Phanpy

Going back to Route 46 in the morning to catch this rare pokémon.

I went to challenge the IJK sisters in the hidden alcove on Route 34, and Arnie the Bug Catcher interrupts me after the second battle lol. Anyway, Skiploom was the MVP here -- while Weepinbell and Magnemite did their part, they didn't last as long as Skiploom using Sleep Powder + Leech Seed + Flash + chipping away with Tackle.

Also holy crap Kate has a Cloyster. Good thing I was given the chance to go back and heal up and save before I challenged her. Also good thing that my Magnemite resists Aurora Beam and also good thing that I knew that Cloyster has crap special defense. This level 28 Cloyster ties with the level 28 Poliwhirl of Emma the Cooltrainer Emma in Union Cave as the highest-level thing I've fought so far.

Seen: Staryu, Starmie, Cloyster

These three sisters all use water pokémon (Goldeen, Seaking, Staryu, Starmie, Shellder, Cloyster); I wonder if they're something of a reference to Misty's three sisters in the anime.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I've got to say GMH, I'm quite impressed (and inspired) by your log lately
    Thinking of teaching Cut to Weepinbell, so that it has a good workhorse normal move, and a good workhorse move other than Acid (which it just got).
    Swimmer George has a full team, consisting of the following:
    L16 Tentacool
    L17 Tentacool
    L16 Tentacool
    L19 Staryu
    L17 Tentacool
    L19 Remoraid

Hey, this is actually a little more interesting than the usual full teams that appear on unimportant NPC trainers.

---

also, here's a picture dump

vaqpmyva64pe.png
    mypalym7pf4p.png

There was this one trainer with level 26 Kanto starters.
    ghiz3iasdym6.png
    m68r1z5jwj0r.png
    39fckjz4qums.png

Also, I accomplished a cool feat that's only possible in gen 2: poisoning a steel-type pokémon using Twineedle.

rcu1hu200dji.png

Also TIL it's spelled "twineedle", not "twinneedle".
    Third place in the Bug-Catching Contest, with a level 16 Venonat (314 points). Camper Barry also got a Venonat but got second place (333 points); Cooltrainer Nick won with a Butterfree (354 points).

Aww. At least I get a Gold Berry out of that.
  • edited 2023-09-19 19:00:40
    Arrived in Cianwood.

...holy crap, this was unexpected!

1vdls4k6p8l6.png

His Electrode is nasty. Rollout and Thunder. Thankfully my Skiploom was able to put it to sleep with Sleep Powder then Flash it three times before getting Thunder'd out of the battle. Then it missed with three Thunders against my Beedrill.

seen: Electrode

In this playthrough, I went down to Cianwood first, rather than running into one of the exploding Electrodes in the Rocket hideout first.
    also i gotta decide whether I want to take this guy's Shuckle or aim to catch my own.
  • edited 2023-09-19 20:21:30
    stuff to do:
    * make plans to challenge the Cianwood gym. then challenge it and win (presumably) the Fly TM right outside the door.
    * deliver the medicine to Jasmine in the lighthouse. this should then unlock Jasmine as a gymleader I can face.
    * make plans to challenge Jasmine.
    * Gina and Joey want to battle.

against fighting-type pokémon:

Skiploom: defensively useful. and if it can put stuff to sleep, there's the usual Skiploom strategy again.
    Tentacool: defensively useful, again, and has special attacks...though Tentacool's special attack stat is meh, though Surf is a powerful STAB move.
    Beedrill: defensively useful (double resistance), and can use normal-type moves. (Bug and fighting mutually resist each other.)
    Weepinbell: defensively useful and has a sleep move and a STAB poison move. (Poison defensively resists fighting but is neutral at attacking it.)

Croconaw: neutral type coverage and a good all-rounder pokémon. also i want more levels on it.
    Ivysaur: a good all-rounder, and poison type helps defensively.

Drowzee: full advantage, and is also reasonably non-frail for a psychic-type.
    Krabby: crazy good physical defense, and fighting is a physical type. (Though this is gen 2 where Fire/Ice/ThunderPunch are still special.)
    Koffing: slow but defensively decent.
    Ekans: all-rounder but weaker than Koffing, same defensive typing.
    Gastly: excellent defensive typing, probably? potentially vulnerable to non-fighting/normal physical moves though.
    Psyduck: neutral defensively, but has Confusion.
    Slowpoke: direct advantage
    Venonat: double-resists defensively and is known to learn Confusion, Psybeam, etc.
    Remoraid: learns Psybeam soon
    Natu: double full advantage

Paras: resists defensively and eventually gets sleep move
    Pineco: bug-type, but a weirdo

Pidgey: advantage on offense but neutral on defense due to dual normal/flying typing.

Exeggcute: defensive advantage but I don't think it gets any psychic-type attacks just yet. that said its best stat is physical defense, which is useful
    Scyther: defensive double advantage, but has no moves that give it an attack advantage

Oddish: defensive advantage
    NidoranF: defensive advantage
    NidoranM: defensive advantage

Butterfree: defensive double advantage, and has both sleeping moves and Confusion
    Hoothoot: offensive advantage but defensively neutral
    Spearow: same as Hoothoot

Spinarak: double defense advantage
    Crobat: double defensive advantage, but has nothing to take advantage of flying attacker advantage
    Alakazam: full advantage, as usual

Qwilfish: defensive advantage
    Murkrow: defensively neutral but offensive advantage
    Pinsir: defensive advantage
    Heracross: defensive advantage
    Girafarig: offensive advantage, neutral defense
    Farfetch'd: full advantage

against steel-type pokémon:

offensive advantage:
    Vulpix (fire)
    Slugma (fire)
    Growlithe (fire)
    Quilava (fire)
    Houndour (fire) (shouldn't have this yet in vanilla Crystal)
    Machop (fighting)
    Phanpy (ground, but IIRC it lacks moves)
    Quagsire (ground but it lacks moves)
    Sandslash (ground but it lacks moves)
    Geodude (ground and a STAB move, with Magnitude. however, defensively weak to steel due to rock being weak and ground being neutral defensively)

defensive advantage:
    Flaaffy (electric)
    Tentacool (water) [poison]
    Magnemite (electric/steel)
    Slowpoke (water) [psychic]
    Chinchou (water/electric)
    Goldeen (water)
    Remoraid (water)
    Squirtle (water)
    Shellder (water)
    Poliwag (water) (has sleep move)
    Quagsire (water) [it's ground-type but has no moves of this sort)
    Azumarill (water)
    Mantine (water) [it's flying-type but has no flying-type moves]
    Qwilfish (water) [poison]

Thinking about counters.
    I wonder if Chuck has a Heracross. If he does (and it's a valid fighting-type pokémon), of course), it's got Megahorn, that could be a very effective counter to psychic-type pokémon. Weak to flying moves though.
    Against flying-types, there's Rock Throw/Rock Slide and Thunderpunch that I could imagine.
    f31qeqq5iq61.png

I decided to "manually" Surf back to the mainland in order to do a round of training. My team at this point was something like L10 Butterfree, L24 Weepinbell, L22 Drowzee, L22 Psyduck, L24 Slowpoke, and L13 Pidgey. As you can see, this is a team that's more oriented toward challenging the Cianwood Gym.

Since I was able to help out Jasmine and Amphy at the Lighthouse, I decided to try out challenging Jasmine for the heck of it (with a save of course).

Curiously, she has no lieutenants. I guess this was necessary, in a meta sense, since she had to be away for a while? (Though the gym could have just been closed I guess...)

Anyhow, she was such a caring and warm-hearted personality at the top of the Lighthouse that I was totally unprepared for just how tough she is in battle. Well, to be honest, I knew this battle was just for fun, so I definitely wasn't prepared to deal with her type specialty, but I also didn't expect them to be that high-leveled.

She leads with a L30 Magnemite, which I was able to take down with my Weepinbell deploying Sleep Powder and half my 10 PP of Vine Whips (and before that, I made the silly mistake of switching into my Slowpoke, which of course got pwned by Thundershock). I made it partway through her L35 Steelix before running out of Vine Whips and then sacrificing my Weepinbell. It didn't take long for the Steelix to also take out my Psyduck and Drowzee, of course. I didn't even get to see her last pokémon, though my personal guess is that it's a Skarmory. (Don't tell me if I'm wrong or right. Though the fact that her Steelix had a Gold Berry suggests that Steelix might be her flagship pokémon.)

Well, I lost, unsurprisnigly. Let's pretend this was an exhibition match. Like the kind that Ash gets himself into (and in which he gets his butt handed to him) upon first visiting a new town.

But, onward to fight a couple recurring trainers and also try to catch myself a Charmander.
  • edited 2023-09-20 02:08:27
    ij0kdwagrl6l.png

Record #126: Charmander

Now I finally have all six starters.

If I want to I could easily get both Voltorb and Shuckle via trades. In fact both of them come from the same "source" -- rocks breakable with Rock Smash could result in wild Krabby or Shuckle, and Krabby can be traded for Voltorb. (This particular Shuckle in question is a gift pokémon from an NPC in Cianwood.)
    This is exciting. But not as exciting as it could be because I've caught Pidgeotto before.

7mydfjut2bsp.png
  • edited 2023-09-20 03:55:08
    I made it back to Cianwood and tried the gym.

The first two pokémon are pretty high-level (mid to upper 20s), so given the way I've been playing (fight all lieutenants in one go, no items) I'm still unprepared for even this gym.

But more importantly, I've totally forgotten that I have Strength. Which I actually need to use in this gym to get to the end.

I should go and teach Strength to some pokémon.

Things to do:
    * teach Strength to some pokémon and figure out who to bring
    * Rock Smash to get a second Krabby and trade it for a Voltorb
    * get a Shuckle (and start giving it Berries to make Berry Juice)
    * more training
    * that one breakable rock in Burned Tower B1F
    * that one movable rock in Union Cave
    * the usual berry/apricorn rounds
    Seen: Horsea
    proposed Strength users: Ekans, Sandslash, NidoranM, Clefable, Krabby?, Exeggcute?, Pinsir?, Psyduck?, Machop?, Gengar (lol), wait I've written this sup before

proposed Fly users: Pidgeotto, Crobat,...oh yeah, this too.
    Ekans now knows Strength.

y halo thar, Suicune.

07gfp93vuvs5.png

Caught an underleveled Fearow. And also...

Record #127: Mankey

Also, y halo thar, Wesley.
    kufiy81xtg2y.png

I later encountered Suicune again when I went to get the Ice Berry on Route 36.
  • edited 2023-09-20 20:23:48
    Picked up a Krabby on my usual fruit rounds. This is for the guy with the Voltorb.

My Ekans finally evolved!
    Record #128: Arbok

My mom bought me a item and left it in my PC. This reminds me to check it and deposit the thing Wesley gave me as well. I did that, but I couldn't figure out what my mom gave me. I think she got something I already had, lol.
  • edited 2023-10-21 00:04:21
    FYI this just came out recently: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8134/
    It's Pokémon Crystal Legacy, another improvement romhack of Crystal that tries to make an idealized version of the game.

I'm not changing the hack I'm playing though.

Also I'm not sure if this is a full-dex hack; not sure if I'm missing something in the description.
  • edited 2023-11-07 15:16:22
    wev6lilr80mm.pngAmazingly, this is not underleveled.

qpptjbmli6um.pngYes. Yes you did.

eu82c1kuudbn.pngOMG IT'S A SHUCKLE

Record #129: Shuckle

elglx9s49a4g.pngpokémon levels are truly wild.

3ze7eu5jfc4p.pngnotlikeotherduck.ico
  • edited 2023-11-20 19:31:00
    Congratulations! Your LITTLE BIRD evolved into COOL BIRD!

sie1qagzzjpu.png

Record #130: Xatu