If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: I don't really have mental images for the posters here

Comments

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^That god-thing you had as your avatar for a long time.

• That one thing that I don't know what it is that you had as your avatar for a long time.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-11 01:07:54

Yeah I don't really bother with mental images of people online unless they're really really weird or their avatar already fits perfectly.  Like, Midnight Velvet warranted an image of Bill Cosby saying something incomprehensible, or Carciofus just works somehow as Fancy Pants.  Mostly it's just a blank.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

:333

• Definitely not gay.

I can't shake the image of ponicalica, Alkthash, Malkavian, Pykrete and saladofstones as the stereotypical skinny, bearded middle-aged Caucasian nerd with glasses hunched over a PC and wearing a T-shirt with an xkcd quote on it.

As in, they are the same guy in my head.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-11 04:43:01

HAH.  I only fit...three of those.  Four with a charitable definition of "beard" that includes "malignant plant growth similar to a cactus".

• Definitely not gay.

I'm talking BILLY MAYS beard.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-11 04:48:57

Nah, my beard never went beyond "just long enough to soak whatever I'm drinking and make a mess".  I tried to grow it.  Once.

I'm an eternal stubble guy.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

My mental images looks somewhat like this:

All Nines, CU, Alk, Malk, Juan, Legionnaire, IA, Bee, Crimson, Bastion, Saigyouiji, Lazuli, Fuschlatz, Kraken, Vandro, Schitzo, Icalasari, Nyktos, Noimporta and everyone else whose photos I've seen: themselves. Exceptions are Nova (who is Crona) and Forzare (Keiichi).

Eelektross: Ice King

Nohay: Spurdo Sparde in a toreador costume

Saturn: Squidward

DYRE: Sailor Bubba

Stormtrooper: a touhou

CA: Pinkie Pie

Anonus: Rarity

Glenn: Philosoraptor

Naas: Slenderman

Counterclock: C3PO

Alex: blonde guy in armor

Gacek: Lech Walesa

Formaldehyde: Lenny Kravitz.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Exceptions are Nova (who is Crona)

I kinda thought this'd be the case for more people than it is.

• Definitely not gay.

Eelektross: Ice King

Well, I am a neckbearded wizard who spends all of his free time inside his house writing bad fiction instead of socializing...

• Nohay: Spurdo Sparde in a toreador costume

Okay, yes.  I can see this one.

• @Nova: You were Crona to me until your most recent avatar change. Now you're the girl in your avatar. *shrug*

• Naas: Slenderman

So, basically the same image people had of me back in... early-mid 2011 on TV Tropes?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You were Crona to me until your most recent avatar change. Now you're the girl in your avatar. *shrug*

But... it's one of the very few times I've used a non-Crona avatar here. :(

• But...she's so pretty!

I mean, I guess you can still be Crona if you want...

She's glossy. :|

It's not noticeable in avatar size, but if you check out the full-size version, uh uh.

• a little muffled
    Man, multiple people associate me with my photo? I don't even remember posting one here.
  • As a BTLee here is some of my mental images of my fellow BTLees with note that there are many images to think of:

Formaldehyde is (thanks to the username on BTL) a werewolf of some kind that has a mask to hide the idenity.

Miles "Ironweaver" Stribog is as he was in a photo I once saw: a smart dressed figure with a smooth moustace. Possible leader of a revolution. Also Werewolf's drawing of him.

Octo: I guess he dresses smart and has black hair in a David Bowie style.

The Master of BTL: a commet with a tree on it. You can blame Werewolf's drawing of BTL members for this.

MrW: a young chap in a Sargeant Pepper's uniform.

thenamelesssamurai: a samurai  :P

gentlemanorcus: a orc in a suit or a anti-mage thanks again to his icon in BTL.

JMH: the famed image of a stag that he had as a icon.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Saigyouiji[...]and everyone else whose photos I've seen: themselves.

Curses! *shakes fist*

Man, the only thing I can remember from your photos is that you were quite skinny. :V

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Gacek: Lech Walesa

Now this is awkward.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Octo: I guess he dresses smart and has black hair in a David Bowie style.

Hm... ah, my General David Bowie avatar, right. Well, I raise absolutely no complaints!

• edited 2013-03-11 17:17:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Nova, I associate you with your Crona avatar, but as an avatar, not as a person image.  This may be partly because seeing Crona makes me think of Sugar (a/k/a Sugarette), so there's an established association, but Sugar's personality isn't quite like yours.

...well, actually, I can kinda see you as Sugar.

• I think what Nova/Central Avenue said about not wanting to be remembered by their photos kind of brings up another issue. I could be off on this, but I feel like one potential advantage of online forums like this one is that you can be fairly anonymous. It seems like in offline interactions where you actually have to be physically present somewhere people can and do make assumptions or judgments about others (whether consciously or unconsciously) based on silly stuff like appearance, age, voice, mannerisms or the like.

It sounds like sometimes those impressions and associations can become difficult to get out of your mind, even if you know they are founded on some pretty flimsy premises. Based off of that, I wonder if in some ways it is better not to post photos or look at other people's real life photos to avoid that type of prejudice. That way you can try to just focus on what they actually post rather than other stuff that is not really so important.

That being said, if it helps people feel closer to each other to post photos and junk, I do not really have a problem with that either.

• That way you can try to just focus on what they actually post rather than other stuff that is not really so important.

Not to try and take away from your post, but people will do this anyways occasionally "That avatar is dumb it's X, that signature refers to Y, I saw you post that Z"

• They're somethin' else.

For some reason, I visualize Millercross as Clint Eastwood and Malkavian as Yuno Gasai.

• Counterclock,

Not to try and take away from your post, but people will do this anyways occasionally "That avatar is dumb it's X, that signature refers to Y, I saw you post that Z"

That is a good point. Judging people based off of signatures and avatars does seem to happen (though thankfully not as much here as far as I can tell). I guess it might be better to say that not looking at photos can help people not prejudge other users, even if it is not likely to eliminate all of the factors that might make someone focus less on the actual content of somebody's post.

• They're somethin' else.

Also, TheNamelessSamurai I always picture as Either Spike Spiegel or oddly enough, as Jubei Kibagami of Ninja Scroll.

• You can change. You can.

all of you look like shit to me

except all nines and nyktos

they have faces i guess