If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think with the established rock bands there tends to be a specific sound they stick to that fans like and works for OPs but probably won't win them new fans.

HARUHI is just one person, it seems. I don't know much about her but apparently she was born in Los Angeles.
  • edited 2020-08-25 02:58:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    God knows who she is.

[/reference/pun]

• Today I learned about Rorochan, the girl that music video is based on.
    I hope you slip and fall and trip all over my heart
    And just lay there alone, yeah you got what you wanted
    On your hands and knees, grasping for air, grasping for me
    Baby don't hold your breath, I've moved on to the next

Yup Selena Gomez you sure sound over him.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

you can sail across the ocean
    you can run around that hill
    you can show your emotions
    don't be afraid to fail

you can run around in circles
    you can say that you don't care
    tell me what are you believin'
    don't think that life's unfair

you can run, you can hide,
    i wanna feel what you feel
    you can laugh, you can cry
    you don't have to be alone
  • edited 2020-09-07 13:54:35
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm going to try and find 10+ (possibly all ridiculous) songs every once in a while that were released before 2000 to post here:

1. E-Rotic - Max Don't Have Sex With Your Ex

A very forward title, and a very forward concept, but I find it so catchy that even I can let up on my prudishness for about three minutes. I just noticed that all the comments on the video page are suddenly in Russian, and that's apparently owed to it being featured in a 1997 Russian movie called Brat/Brother.

2. Mr. President - Coco Jambo

My dad used to really like this song? I mean, it's so extremely silly and the rap is so... there but the chorus is very catchy.

4. Dr. Alban - It's My Life

I remember this song from when I was younger, and it always confused me how something so entirely basic (yet extremely catchy) without singing or even rapping managed to be such a big thing.

Maybe it's just because of the Nigerian lead guy and it became a randomly big thing with immigrant populations? Who cares. It's insane.

Also that last minute is so peppy yet emo.

5. Dr. Bombay - Calcutta

What is with Eurodance and doctors?

Basically, this is the best denpa to play if you're looking to offend half the room. I've always liked it, but there aren't really many reasons to ever be listening to it, so I made one.

Dr. Bombay also created the masterpiece "SOS (The Tiger Took My Family)"

6. ToyBox - Tarzan & Jane

You know when you're a kid and you hear a song and you take it entirely at face value? Well, that's me and this song. In fact, despite what everybody says and [url=" "]the music video[/url] and in fact, some of the lyrics, I still think this is a completely innocent song about Tarzan and Jane.

I think acts like ToyBox are probably why I like anison so much.

7. Eiffel65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)

This isn't a song I'd heard before this year, but it's really quite something. I wonder why so many Eurodance songs feature very bad spoken word. This one is specifically Neo Italo Disco, and I'm not used to Italo Disco having spoken word.

Also despite this song probably being about an incel, he has a girlfriend.

Funny story about this group from that video's description:
    The origin of the group's name is an interesting sequence of chance. The name "Eiffel" was chosen randomly by a computer program and the "65" was scribbled onto their name on a demo by mistake; it was actually part of a phone number.

8. Michael Fortunati - Give Me Up

Speaking of Italo Disco, let's dive into the past a little to a song that inspired one of my favorite Tamaki Nami songs; Give Me Up. Italo Disco is great and it deserves all of our respect

9. VengaBoys - We're Going to Ibiza

You don't talk about super random 90s songs without the VengaBoys, and their amazing, quintessential hit that is somehow totally a real song.

I used to love this song when I was a kid, and the music video really got me hooked (young 14w could not resist cartoons). I understand people think the Village People had iconic costumes, but the VengaBoys had outfits, man. Good outfits.

10. East 17 - House of Love

This is another "hit" vaguely Eurodance song, by a boyband that is actually some sort of rave DJ unit. This one actually has decent British guy rapping. If anything has ever come close to convince me to become a right-wing God-fearing left-wing climate alarmist/anti-war* activist (????), it's this song.

*I am not sure how anti-war East 17 were, but they were certainly extremely quasi-religious.

The music video gets extra points for the best 90s greenscreen I've ever seen.

11. Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted

I first heard a song of this cover on Glee, and so I assumed Paula Abdul could sing. She can not. She can, however, dance like a robot (at least in the 90s). I am 100% sure she is the best pop dancer ever. Ever. I mean, honestly, every other dancing pop star that came after her is just a ripoff because she does all their supposedly "future" moves.

Despite the songstress' best efforts, the violin and the retro piano absolutely make this a must-listen. Plus, the Glee version doesn't have her absolutely epic rapping.

Aaaand that's probably all the ridiculous songs I can think of right this instant.

As for actually serious songs, there's obviously Ace of Base's The Sign, Roxette's Listen to Your Heart, and Kaoma's Lambada.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    7. Eiffel65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)

This isn't a song I'd heard before this year, but it's really quite something. I wonder why so many Eurodance songs feature very bad spoken word. This one is specifically Neo Italo Disco, and I'm not used to Italo Disco having spoken word.

Also despite this song probably being about an incel, he has a girlfriend.

Ahhh, the sounds of my youth. I always thought the song is literally about a space alien, but even so, the lyrics don't really matter.

Since I mention every FAKY song that blows my socks off here; their new digital single -Darlin'- is really really cute and very reminiscent of 90s Western R&B.

The music video is also very much up on the latest instagram tricks of "aesthetics" and "vibes", and I like that even in this ballad they still had time to choreograph a racy dance.

Their last music video, which was for a re-release of half-moon featuring heavily autotuned guy Novelcore was actually pretty cool too since the whole thing had to be done with them social distancing.
    Repost:
    Woke up this morning,
    Still half asleep,
    With one eye open check IJBM la politique,
    Look at the forums,
    What's happening~
    Better get in an argument,
    That's super irrelevant.

Next thing I knew,
    From that thread I hear you,
    Being to-tally wrong,
    Disagreeing with me,
    I know!
    I better pull out sixty stanzas.

Sometimes,
    GMH don't understand,
    That I,
    Would rather be 100% wrong,
    Than admit that,
    He might be right,
    It's my eternal plight~

Continued:
    Wednesday night,
    Argument time,
    Notepad my post,
    So I don't lose any lines.

Apparently,
    The place to be...
    Is making triple posts,
    And inflaming our speech.

Why didn't I re-ply,
    Before it was bed-time,
    Now I'll never get to sle-ep.

Sometimes,
    Your brain doesn't understand,
    Sleep-time,
    Is not the best for play-by-plays,
    Of massive text,
    Stuck in your head,
    Shouldn't have,
    De-esca-lated...

One day I will actually have a whole song.
    what am I supposed to sing this to again?
    I linked to the exact time this picks up at "Continued".
    oh, right! i watched that song before but forgot, my bad
    Eh, s'fine.
    started out the morning listening to Basilisk's OP and am now listening to angela's song "ANGEL" (Coppelion OP)

vaguely similar in style and partly in the same key
  • edited 2020-09-04 15:42:59
    Every other Eurodance song I look up on YouTube has 70% Russian comments under it.
    Somebody says: I don't know why.
    14w Brain, quite dramatically: I was innocent.

-meanwhile, Eurodance and other things!-

1. Magic Affair - Omen III

I just found out about this song and frankly, it's amazing and insane. I'm not sure who decided to combine Eurodance stylings and gothic woo-woo lyrics meant for a Stevie Nicks album, but I am glad that person exists because this song is insane.

The weirdest thing about this is that they may still be around.

2. East 17 - Steam

I'll probably repeat artists a bit, but I think this one is worth a mention for the fact that they somehow got away with the last line in the 90s.

Also there's a lightning quick Final Fantasy reference.

3. ToyBox - Teddybear

In the same vein as the East 17 song above, this is just a song that's vaguely explicit in it's meaning, and I thought that combined with the vocals was very creepy overall (in a sort of good way!).

4. The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode

This I found out via Wikipedia, and it was apparently a great example of the Streisand Effect. The song contains a line that can be read as "E(cstacy) is good!", and in trying to ban kids from listening to it, adults accidentally shot it to the top of the British charts for weeks and weeks.

This music video genuinely freaks me out and it does actually look

5. Culture Beat - Mr. Vain

Surprisingly enough, I thought the lyrics to this song were really good in parts?

Also this music video with the rapper guy basically stalking the whole party like a mass murderer is very funny.

And then there's the "We're going to leave the rave and go upstairs to... eat fruit" part.

6. Culture Beat - Got to Get It

And in a repeat, here are Culture Beat again, with a song that is really ironic given how catchy Eurodance songs are.

7. Kylie Minogue - The Loco-motion

When I first heard this, also last week, I was kind of floored. Why was Kylie Minogue doing a vaguely campy song about a dance sweeping the nation, and how was it her debut single?

In all honesty, this made me think a lot about how hard pop stars and their teams work to stay relevant. It's not my favorite Kylie Minogue song by any stretch of the imagination, but I really appreciate it as a part of history.
  • edited 2020-09-08 03:17:58
    today i randomly discovered track 6 (starts at 04:29) in this soundtrack and i fell in love with it

(literally random because my music player was on shuffle)
  • edited 2020-09-08 03:29:41

just how gloriously happy and joyous this song (the OP of Kemono Friends) is even able to make me tear up

also this is a very nice english fandub
    i think i'd recommend moving like a few syllables but overall it works brilliantly

also love the puns

and the rhyming is very effective
    I've actually never really liked that song. In terms of peppy happy things, it always felt overwrought and the music was eclectic in a way I'm not a fan of.
  • edited 2020-09-08 17:02:50
    What's your opinion, if any, of the Maidragon ED?
    Upon first listen; it's quite the good song. It's kind of in that MONACA-adjacent jazzy sort of thing, and the vocals are pretty fun.

I'm surprised rionos was involved in writing it, since I mainly know her for more serious sounding things.
    What makes a song a good song, in your opinion, @fourteenwings?

@Stormtroper: I am amazed that they actually seem to have accurately animated all of this:

• edited 2020-09-10 06:06:28
    What makes a song a good song, in your opinion, @fourteenwings?

With all the genres of music, trying to figure out a formula seems like a Herculean task. In the end, you'd probably only decide on very basic aspects.

Mainly when picking songs I like... I trust my gut. Sometimes my gut needs a bit of prodding, but it gets there in the end.

Like with how I didn't really like any EDM until probably two years ago when Tsujimura Yuki genuinely managed to convince me it was music, or just listening to something again randomly gives me a new appreciation for it. Like NEBAGIBA☆ NEVERGIVEUP☆ from Aikatsu Stars!, or OKEMARU! from Aikatsu Friends!, or Promise Swords from the Ensemble Stars! anime.

But there's songs like, Stay Gold by (K)NoW_NAME or Born Free by Mizuki Nana where I just knew about ten seconds in. In fact, one of the things I notice is that if when I'm listening to a song I know and I'm not excited to listen to it about 3 seconds in, it probably won't be something I remember or come back to after a while.
    @lrdgck I forget whether I've asked you this, but what is the Polish folk theme that is being referenced here?
  • edited 2020-09-12 22:36:54
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    According to this website: "The melody of this theme, drawn from a work by Jan Kleczyński O muzyce podhalańskiej [On the music of the Podhale region] (1988), is actually an imaginary „folk theme”, being a crude reworking of an authentic song from the Podhale." Translation mine.

Concerning the date of 1988, perhaps it's a typo. Overally the text presents the theme as an early work by the composer who by that time hadn't yet matured, but was already looking into folk music as a source of inspiration. It also places the blame on that Kleczyński guy. Apparently Szymanowski, once he finally heard the original song years later, he could barely recognize it in the tune he had used as the basis for his composition.
    This sounds a lot like the time I wrote a song based on a snippet of another song I'd heard before, and the result turned out to be much different from the original.
  • edited 2020-09-15 00:30:48
    The Dadadada Angel meme girl released a music video of that thing we talk about in IJBMer Updates all the time:
  • edited 2020-09-15 04:59:11
    Didn't this girl do an ED for some LN anime last year.

This brilliant and catchy song has really, really motivated me to do lots and lots more stuff because I can't bear to imagine being that person.

I didn't know you could do stuff with YouTube subtitles.
  • edited 2020-09-17 03:35:04
    note to self: that one Chuunibyou show's OP and ED, Fairy Tail 2014 OP, Medaka Box, Naruto Shippuuden OP3, Toradora OP2, Danganronpa 3 OP, Bakemonogatari OP2, Claymore OP, Phantom World OP, Erased ED, April OP, Steins;Gate OP, Great Teacher Onizuka OP, Little Witch Academia OP, Soul Eater OP, Future Diary OP, Grand Blue OP, Made in Abyss OP
    Did you know? You can sing the syllables "Temptation" to the same three note motif used for "The Simpsons" at the beginning of the Simpsons theme tune.