If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2020-06-06 21:22:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm not familiar with the Ignite remixes, but Symphogear songs tend to have a lot going on in them. Lots of jagged and off-beat rhythms, texture changes, sound effects.

I think this is one reason why Elements Garden isn't my favorite composer/group. I like these elements to some extent but sometimes I feel they overdo this stuff, for my taste. But most of my exposure to their songwork is in Symphogear, so it may be context-dependent.

Edit: I just looked up what other stuff I've heard that they've done. They've also done the soundtracks for Symphogear and Four Rhythm (whose soundtrack I enjoyed), as well as the OP for Beyond the Boundary and the ED for Dog Days, to my surprise.
  • edited 2020-06-06 22:32:30
    I'm not familiar with the Ignite remixes, but Symphogear songs tend to have a lot going on in them. Lots of jagged and off-beat rhythms, texture changes, sound effects.

Before Ignite, those things didn't suddenly interrupt anything, especially not anything specific to a character. This is a big distinction since "heroism" in media is frequently driven by "isn't this one in particular really cool?" (This is more relevant to Symphogear songs than fortissimo). It's specifically disruptive in an odd way since we only got Ignite versions for character songs.
  • edited 2020-06-06 22:38:10
    Just checking Genka Toppa G-beat Ignite (which is simpler since there's only one character), there's

at like the one minute point, there's siren sounds on Y.Aoi going "aritake" and there's some sort of stuttering with the instruments during "ippatsu daibu"

more siren sounds at 2:20

At 3:00 there's a replay of "ii" from seconds earlier but with an artificial "stuttering" effect added to her voice.

There's other changes like the added guitar at the beginning but it synchs more or less directly with the whistling, so it's not all that disruptive. Probably not a coincidence that the least disruptive change wasn't particularly EDM.

Actually, going earlier in Symphogear, the Shen Shou Jing song had a bit of vworp vworp wub wub, and it's probably not a coincidence that it did not represent the character's triumphs.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Yeah, I think even with EDM, the Ignite remixes from GX specifically chose to go with really pervasive and almost chokingly brutal elements.

They're sort of like ZEDD and Selena Gomez' I Want You To Know, which is the most schizophrenic thing I've ever heard. It's reportedly one song, but it feels like you have to turn the volume up at some segments and turn it down at others.
    Lots of jagged and off-beat rhythms, texture changes, sound effects.

I don't think I know exactly what you mean, but this is what bothers me about a lot of Mizuki Nana songs that are directly composed by Elements Garden, like Vitalization. There's a change from the first two verses to the next that bothers the dangnation out of me.

Or VIRGIN CODE, that song is just so busy that you don't really get it until the tenth listen and it still doesn't exactly make me feel positive.

Contrast songs like BRIGHT STREAM which is composed by somebody outside of Elements Garden, but has an arrangement by somebody from them. Those work really well for me.
    kinda feeling like there's not much for me to "hang my heart on".'
    but while to me they're sorta the window dressing, to you they're the main attraction.

I actually see what's happening here!

You want to find the merits of the song by itself, whereas I want to relate to a song in a way that adds to me, if that makes sense. There is no my interpretation of Jikan wa Mado no Moukougawa without me thinking it's a cool song for cool kids.
    I can set up a time to play you something on the piano and transmit it over Mumble with live commentary.

Darn it I've been meaning to get a mic but I keep forgetting...
  • edited 2020-06-11 04:43:19

IMO the Army won this battle.
  • edited 2020-06-14 13:09:48
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    If we're still discussing music recs; See-Saw, Yuki Kajiura's old unit from the days before FictionJunction, just released their best album a few days ago. It's almost 40 tracks of the sounds of early 2000s anime (and other things). That includes most of .hack// and some Gundam SEED.

That also reminds me! Sugawara Sayuri aka THE SxPLAY released her best album in early April, and that includes Final Fantasy XIII songs like Kimi Ga Iru Kara and Eternal Love, as well as other great songs like Forever..., Habataku Kimi e and Living Rock (but no STAR DROP...)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, there's been an odd fad on Youtube these days: modern songs with medieval instrumentation. In most of these cases it doesn't work all that well, because the tempo, rhythm and so on are all too modern to a listener's ears, but it's amusing anyway.

• I haven't seen Kamen Rider Build but the lyrics make me hope it's peak toku homoeroticism.
    It was, a lot.

The ending was even worse, though Build Cross-Z tried to make it less so but I think it didn't really work out.
  • edited 2020-06-19 05:33:18

Fairies have disbanded.

In all honesty, Fairies never really managed to find their place in the J-pop world. They've been around for a really long time, but never really settled on a style or group image. I know popular artists have to change their image every once in a while, but they always kind of maintain a type of energy.

It's not like the non-idol girl group can't be done anymore. There's groups like Little Glee Monster who have had massive success, but Fairies lost a few members and then there was that whole thing with Momoka trying to have a solo career which bombed. It's really sad overall.

They did have some good songs though so I'll recommend them here:

Their sub-unit M-Three also had a really good song called Your Love, which was used as the opening theme for the anime Lady Jewelpet.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Recently I posted a video belonging to a fad/meme involving remaking modern songs to make them sound Medieval. Now upon researching the Dancing Pallbearers meme, I discovered the song is actively remade in various fashions:

Medieval:

"Russian":

Mongol:

Metal:

And probably many more.
  • edited 2020-06-25 15:24:56
    And tell me that you're fine
    That even through this time
    You will not forget these good times

Italians writing English lyrics are the best.

Also, I don't really believe that this is Ryan Dean's/Sasha's/topknot blonde guy's voice, because Ryan Dean has been in songs before and he's always rapped/sort of purposefully not sang so I can't suddenly believe he's literally the best male singer in the whole cast.
    BTS have a new song out called Stay Gold so it was really confusing for me yesterday when I thought that this song was suddenly trending on twitter:

• edited 2020-06-27 16:27:24
    Apparently, the lead track of Shuta Sueyoshi's album WONDER HACK -HACK-, is now really big on TikTok.

People are calling him a better Kyary Pamyu Pamyu than modern Kyary.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I have had "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" stuck in my head all day long.
    The song from this scene from Aristocats?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    /me clicks play

what am i watching

(and yes, it's this scene. wrong music though =P)

• Something weird about the first Arknights trailers using electronic rock instead of EDM. Though these are also pre-existing songs licensed out.
  • edited 2020-11-05 14:18:20
    duplicate
    Well, ReoNa's song for the anniversary animated MV is rock with splashes of Aimer R&B, which to be fair also confused me.

This is funny because Aimer's new song is a typical rock song I'd associate with ReoNa (or maybe 2015-2017 LiSA).

• edited 2020-07-27 02:46:15

What anime series is used in this, aside from K-On?
    It seems like lots of KyoAni. There's some Tari Tari and Clannad at least.

Though I think Tari Tari might be P.A.Works...
    LiSA Becomes First Japanese Female Artist who Gets One Million Downloads

Wow! Good on her!

I don't think Gurenge is anywhere near LiSA's best song, but it has some really interesting motifs and such. I mean, it's no AxxxiS or Zankyou or even ADAMAS, to name a few recent ones, but I'm glad she's had this immense success.

Photon Maiden sound like something I could grow to like, though I could give or take the English parts.

D4DJ is such a weird project. Happy Around songs are like, the least fun sort of denpa possible, and then Peaky P-key is just Symphogear.
  • edited 2020-08-07 16:35:38
    Tracklist for a nonexistent videogame

1. The Mesmerizing Deep Blue
    2. Forward Thinking
    3. Enter the Saint
    4. Desolate Winds
    5. The True Beast of the Plains
    6. Long-Lost Family
    7. Up, to the Sun
    8. Opportunity
    9. Catastrophe
    10. The Mesmerizing Deep Brown
    11. Scales of History
    12. Hidden Amongst Reeds
    13. Upon Our Knees
    14. Gathering Sky
    15. Defenders of the Faith
    16. The Sainthood
    17. The Bright Light of Judgement
    18. Turned Tale
    19. All Things...
    20. Rendezvous
    Is this one of those JRPGs where The Church is evil?

Because this:
    Defenders of the Faith

Sounds slightly ironic, and this;
    The Bright Light of Judgement

Sounds like something that starts with the notes complementing a scene where Lightning is about to take down one of Orphan's forms.

---

I feel like when I see K-pop acts lately, their fashion/styling is really out dated. Maybe it's on purpose?

---

The first 15-20 seconds of Coco Jones' Freaky Freakend would have been the best song ever but then the rest is so annoying.
  • edited 2020-08-10 20:24:37
    I was actually imagining a shmup featuring a dragon fighting back against St. George. With a poetically-presented storyline (rather than a parodic one) of course.

A JRPG probably would have a far longer soundtrack lol.
    Tamaki Nami is back!

My favorite 2000s era Anison superstar has re-signed with Lantis (after hanging out with Lantis artists for like, 2-3 years now) and has released a new single. The lead song -Connect the Truth- is currently the Ultraman Z ED. I don't like the lead song too much, but the B-side Usagi wa Sabishikunai is pretty fun (it's nowhere near as cute as it sounds).
    I've found that, despite my belief in Japanese Musical Supremacy, Japan is lagging behind in figuring out EDM.

I was listening to Aoi Eir's latest single, and the second track -Unreal Drop- and I have no problem with her vocals. However, the EDM breakdowns are very sporadic and super typical, like something you'd hear on the NCS YouTube channel but not even that competent.

This comes after I listened to the whole current backlog of D4DJ and found it lacking. I know it's more an overall Electronica project, but nothing feels special or stands out. Even Peaky P-key are just Symphogear.

There are good Japanese EDM songs; anything by Tsujimura Yuki is a good place to start, there's also Finding Lover by Ohashi Ayaka and Fairies' Tell Me How You Feel, but I find that there are more misses than hits.
  • edited 2020-08-23 08:52:58
    Granblue Fantasy marks the first time I've seriously listened to a song by Bump of Chicken, as well as my discovery that there's a vocalist or group named Haruhi, whose name I mistook for the song's name at first.

That said, I'm a little disappointed that both OP and ED, despite both being in a key I like (B major), seemed a bit meh to me.

Also, somehow this thread has been in "General" all this time. I'm moving it to "Media". actually wait if i do that then the original post's edit timestamp will be gone hmm