If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Gravity Falls

edited 2012-07-25 19:23:43 in Media
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
Anyone else here watching it? I decided to give it a shot after it started showing up like crazy on my dashboard, and I love it.

It's a cartoon on Disney channel about these two siblings who get sent to live with their great uncle Stan in Gravity Falls, Oregon, who runs a shitty tourist trap type thing. Also, there's lots of weird stuff going on around the town like gnomes and ghosts and monsters and manotaurs and things.

There's only six episodes so far so it's a bit early to judge, but if the entire season continues to be as good then I might have a new favorite cartoon.

Comments

• edited 2012-07-25 19:34:30
    I'm a damn twisted person
    Anywhere online to watch it legitimately.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    http://watchdisneychannel.go.com/

You can watch the first couple episodes here. And if you have cable or something with Disney channel you can log in with that and watch all the episodes.

That's how it works on the mobile app, anyway. I can't check if it's different on the computer because it just redirects me to a link to the iPhone app.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-25 20:12:54

Oregon has tourist traps???  :P

I mean, there's Crater Lake and...Portland likes to think it's a tourist trap, I guess.  Tilamook if you REALLY fucking like cheese.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    do not underestimate the power of the mystery shack
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-25 21:00:15

I guess they did base it off of the town right next to Crater Lake.  But still.

I mean, being next to the National Park is like, the one thing to Klamath Falls's name.  I remember it more for a nightmare I had when I was three than for anything I've ever actually seen in the town.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I just watched the first episode.

I'm liking this series already.

• edited 2012-07-26 00:09:38
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The moment that really sold the series for me was when the boyfriend takes off the hoodie and turns out to be
    Spoiler:
    a pile of gnomes
  • I started watching it. I've watched about three episodes, and I'm lovin' it already.

Disney Channel has no right to have shows that are this watchable.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-26 00:39:32

Something had to take over after Kim Possible ended.

Eventually.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

I still find it weird that Kim Possible is some sort of Internet darkhorse.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It had like... everything a show needs for it.

Except a decent story. But still.

• Meh.  Decent story is optional for an episodic Saturday morning cartoon.

• I'm a damn twisted person

So I just watched the first two episodes. I can safely say I want more. Along with Adventure Time, this is probably my favorite ongoing cartoon at the moment.

The fifth episode is my favorite so far.
  • edited 2012-07-26 19:50:28
    law of silence

I'm in love with this show. Especially Mabel <3 It's really great how much effort they put into it so far. I already have a bunch of theories. ;;

The fifth episode is my favorite so far.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA! It's tied with the fourth one for me.

I didn't like the manotaurs episode very much though...

tumblr_m7ryytvo3t1qam4tro4_r1_250.gif
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Meh.  Decent story is optional for an episodic Saturday morning cartoon.

Yeah, but it's a pretty big leg up for any series aspiring to be a darkhorse.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-27 14:26:01

It's also damn near impossible to get by Disney censors at all because they're paranoid about people having the attention span of a salt shaker.  Like, even just letting one or two key events stick for long periods of time or giving nods to continuity is a shaky prospect.

• edited 2012-07-27 13:39:41
    apparently there aren't any new episodes until the tenth and that makes me sad
  • Something Pony Avenue reblogged got me to watch the first episode, and it was cute. There was a gnome vomiting rainbows and a grappling hook.

So the new episode leaked.

New favorite.

• It's out? Holy cheese, guess I better go look for it.

Love the show. It's like... Disney Channel airing a Cartoon Network show, as weird as that may sound.
  • My local channel started airing it around the time I hit the treadmill, so I decided to give it a shot.

My god, you guys, why didn't you tell me of this show sooner!?

^ we were hiding it from you sorry
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^it was forbidden knowledge and you weren't privy to it

sorry but now we have to kill you

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Or you could just buy merch from the Mystery Shack and all will be forgiven,
  • I decided to watch the first episode. 

I think I laughed hysterically at the reveal that Mabel's "boyfriend" was a bunch of gnomes that vomit rainbows.

"Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?" was the moment that sold the show for me.
  • edited 2012-08-08 14:37:42
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

This podcast got Alex Hirsch as Grunkle Stan to guest star! Listen to it, it's great.

Yeah, that episode is awesome.