If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Gravity Falls

Comments

• It's not like I watched other episodes(I watched about three before this one), it just struck me as an especially funny moment. 

• This is a really cute show, especially to watch with your sister :3

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm surprised at how much of an open horror show this is. For kids, sure, but it's clearly made by people with a love for shows like Twin Peaks and American Gothic.

It's no Scooby-doo Mystery Inc but it is pretty great.

• Apparently, the clones that stole the bike in that last episode never came back. I wonder if they will appear again.

Also, it turns out that the person voicing Candy Chiu is BMO's voice actress (Niki Yang). I think that just made this show about 10 times better.

• I'm a damn twisted person

One wonders if Copier!Dipper-2 Tyrone intentionally killed himself with the soda.  And 80s Mable is great. Then again anything Mable is great because of the sheer amount of enthusiasm she throws into everything.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Preview for episode 8:

Spoiler:
    Mabel NO! We love you BECAUSE you're silly. :(

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Okay, so I'm just gonna throw this out on the table.

Certain On Demand services release Gravity Falls episodes (and some other Disney Channel shows too, I guess) a week earlier than they actually air.

I am sure that if PMed, certain people, without naming any names, would be able to provide download links for said episodes.

Hypothetically.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

also can we all agree that paper jam dipper was the best thing ever and that Tyrone was the best possible name or what

its a tie

I do like how this show foreshadows stuff though.  Like with the giant baby and that paper.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ And that image is what is convincing me to give this show a try
  • edited 2012-08-13 17:11:56
    smote
    Everything in that last paragraph is now canon.
  • edited 2012-08-20 00:09:04
    Loser

Alkthash,

One wonders if Copier!Dipper Tyrone intentionally killed himself with the soda.

I figure that he just forgot he was made of paper and did what Dipper would have done. Your theory might make more sense though.

Forzare,

I do like how this show foreshadows stuff though. Like with the giant baby and that paper.

Yeah, I think someone found the time traveler in some of the early episodes too.

Okay, so granted a lot of stuff in the last episode was pretty weird (Ben Franklin was secretly a woman), but this one thing bugged me the most. What kind of senate do you have to have to confirm six babies to the Supreme Court?

I figure that he just forgot he was made of paper and did what Dipper would have done. Your theory might make more sense though.

I thought he just forgot too.  Could be, I guess.

Yeah, I think someone found the time traveler in some of the early episodes too.

Yeah, he's in the background of the first three episodes.

Also, there's an ad for Lil' Gideon in the second episode.

Ben Franklin was secretly a woman

I missed it at first, but this was actually a callback to the second episode.  In the flashback where Stan has Dippy and Mabel counterfeiting money, he says Dipper's Ben Franklin looks like a woman.

What kind of senate do you have to have to confirm six babies to the Supreme Court?

the best kind

(this is a dark day for america)

What kind of senate do you have to have to confirm six babies to the Supreme Court?

One with Mabel on it.

I have to say, I like the way Dipper's crush on Wendy has manifested.

It's a good portrayal of kid's awkwardness against someone they find sexually imposing. (Not that there's much particularly sexual beyond crushing going on, obviously)

• General thoughts:

Pacifica Northwest is starting to grate on me. I didn't mind her so much in "Double Dipper", as the generic snooty popular girl is a staple of the '80s teen movies Mabel's subplot was a pastiche of. But she's a pretty one-note character, and it kinda feels weird when the writers seemed careful to avoid bland characters before she came along.

"The Time Traveler's Pig":

Spoiler:
    What did Pacifica want a pig for anyway? She doesn't seem like the kind who would enjoy, you know, pigs.

I kept wondering why Dipper didn't think to just, you know, not throw the baseball. Couldn't he have drawn Wendy's attention to something else, given the dozens of second chances he had?

The end scene with its allusion to Babe was awesome, though.

"Fight Fighters":

Spoiler:
    I'm kinda torn on this one. On one hand, the story was built pretty much entirely around the romance arc that seems to have taken over the season. On the other hand, it had so many moments that just made me laugh uncontrollably. The taco scene in particular was hilarious.

I do hope the whole romance aspect fades into the background for a while, though. I would like to think the writers of this show wouldn't just forget that they'd kinda established an arc early on with the mysterious book and Gideon having one of his own, and the fact that Gideon's returning next episode has me hopeful that they didn't.

(Is this overuse of spoiler blocks? On HH I usually just black out the spoilery parts; it seems like a lot more goes missing when you put it in spoiler blocks)

• edited 2012-09-15 15:47:02
    Loser

Cloverleaf,

Pacifica Northwest is starting to grate on me. I didn't mind her so much in "Double Dipper", as the generic snooty popular girl is a staple of the '80s teen movies Mabel's subplot was a pastiche of. But she's a pretty one-note character, and it kinda feels weird when the writers seemed careful to avoid bland characters before she came along.

I guess it is kind of weird that Pacifica remains pretty much unchanged after Dipper pointed out that her family's status is baseless. I would cut the show some slack though, considering how few appearances Pacifica has had. I am just hoping that Mabel's friends appear again, so Mabel can do stuff with them the next time Dipper goes off on his own.

I do hope the whole romance aspect fades into the background for a while, though.

Given the ending of "Fight Fighters," it seems like the whole romance thing might well subside for awhile. I heard some people describe the last three or so episodes as a subarc or something focused on that stuff. I can believe that, especially since the next two episodes do not look like they will touch on romance much.

The romance focus does not really bother me, since some people are obviously into that. Having some more episodes like the second one where the twins actually are together most of the time would be nice though.

• edited 2012-09-15 15:38:10
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm okay with the romance since it's almost always a backdrop for crazy weird stuff happening. It leads to the a-story of time travel or street fighter references so it works for me. 

Also, I think I want to work for Disney as the person who thinks up the songs that are obvious references to other songs.

What did Pacifica want a pig for anyway? She doesn't seem like the kind who would enjoy, you know, pigs.

wasn't she going to have the pig cooked? I think that was the point of the booth.

The whole romance thing doesn't bother me at all, since the show has remained ridiculously fun even when romance is the focus. And yeah, like Louie said, Fight Fighters did make it seem like it would be taking a back seat for a while.

I like that instead of seventies arcade games we have a game referencing 90s arcades games instead.

Then again, Alex Hirsch is probably right at the age where he played Street Fighter as a kid. 

It's seriously like each new episode is better than the last. Since Double Dipper, every new episode has been my favorite.

I honestly didn't like Fight Fighters that much. All the 90s Fighting Game references were great, but the Dipper/Wendy thing has gotten old for me, and the whole "hate each other in secret, like girls do!" made me cringe.

• Wasn't the game character animated by Paul Robertson, the guy who animated the Scott Pilgrim game?

• Dipper/Wendy got old to me after "Double Dipper".

Perhaps because I never thought Dipper had a chance with her to begin with.

He doesn't. At best he has a season/series finale "Well you're cute kid. Give it a shot next summer/a few years from now" when Dipper and Mable have to head home when summer is over. 

• Anonononus wrote:
    Perhaps because I never thought Dipper had a chance with her to begin with.
    I think that's kinda the point, though--he's a 12-year-old crushing on a high school girl.

It's not something I can relate to personally, but I imagine a lot of the audience can...(this is not meant as an insult)

• edited 2012-09-18 14:52:43
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

my life is complete

I'm more of a fan of the Dipper writing "I am pretending to give a fuck" on the clipboard gif.