If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bookclub

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The book is a far cry from perfect, but it seems aware of many of its weaknesses and plays to its strengths as often as possible. 

I'm... hesitant about that.

I did describe some flaws, although they might have been lost in the wall of text. 

Sorta. You did point them out, but neither explained them nor showed how they affected the story, which makes stating them kind of... not pointless, but less pointful?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I don't blame you for being hesitant. I absolutely loved the book -- it seems almost tailored to me. Not everyone is going to feel that way, though, and I'm no doubt more forgiving of its flaws than a more general readership. Although I would maintain that it is, at least, a solid fantasy novel and a decent read in its own right. 

Sorta. You did point them out, but neither explained them nor showed how they affected the story, which makes stating them kind of... not pointless, but less pointful?

I'm not really sure how to do it without spoilers. But I'll try. Without spoilers. 

There's a few resurrections from death in the books. One is welcome, or at least was to me, but the other was less so. The unwelcome resurrection was unwelcome because the death of the character was a symbol of their character development. They threw off many of the superficial aspects of their post and acted entirely in the deepest spirit of their philosophy. But their death wasn't an intentional sacrifice. It was a known risk, but the character didn't intentionally die and that made their death and the reasoning behind it that much more meaningful. 

The resurrection of this character does have narrative significance, but I felt that keeping them dead probably would have been better. It would have both completed their arc as a character and had their final acts be plot relevant. After the resurrection, though, the character returns to their old ways in most or all respects. No doubt Miles intends for them to be important in forthcoming entries into the series, but I felt the whole resurrection angle with that character was a bit too high fantasy (especially for being the second resurrection in the book) and robbed that character of meaningful development. 

Anyway, I hope that's understandable and illustrates at least one problem I had with the book. There are a lot of little niggles, but the above is an example of where I felt the book really failed in its potential. But perhaps Miles will redeem that choice in a later book. Who knows? 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

26 pages into Cold Days and what the fuck.

• a little muffled

You ain't seen nothing yet.

• edited 2013-01-06 19:39:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    "You're telling me that the reason the island is about to blow up...is because it's about to blow up?"

^You weren't kidding.

308 pages in.

Elder Gruff confirmed for bro. No pun intended.

• a little muffled

I assume that was the bit with Titania?

Yeah.

Damn, this book is good.

• edited 2013-01-06 23:09:13
    I'm a damn twisted person

Part of me wants to see fanart of Harry, Murphy and the Wild Hunt storming the Demonreach with the caption "I have the weirdest boner right now"

Be very glad I didn't see that ten pages ago. Mark your spoilers.

Well. That was a book.

• a little muffled
    Are you sure?!
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Reading The Haunting of Hill House now. Ironically enough, I can't remember the last time a book put such a long grin on my face from the humor. Can't remember if it was Malk or JHM who suggested it, way back when, but thanks!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

A Memory of Light get.

jesus everyone in this book is so awesome (except egwene, because fuck egwene)

the two best are androl and talmanes

<3 androl

<3 androl forever

holy shit

callandor's flaw

demandred

we completely fucking forgot that that nation even existed

jesus fuck

oh jesus yes

no doubt about it

androl is the best

no not siuan ;-;

This wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.

But it was an ending.

dammit forzare, hurry up and read this book, i need someone to talk about it with >:c

• edited 2013-01-12 01:57:12
    a little muffled

Just finished part two of Elantris and shit, this book is really good.

I wish I had more to say about it, but I don't really.

• a little muffled

Finished it. Was good. The way it ended was somewhat predictable (yeah, Elantris gets restored to glory and Hrathen has a redemption-equals death, those were pretty obvious pretty much from the start of the whole book), though Kiin being the pirate was a connection I'm somewhat bothered I didn't make, especially since I speculated a bunch on both sides of that equation. I found it interesting how it was structured; it was very personal despite the importance of the events. Very different from Mistborn, certainly, even if there are plenty of parallels to be drawn as well.

Man, though. So much...well, not exactly unanswered, but it feels like there's a lot more to be done with this world. (And the magic system didn't even get explained completely!) Apparently it's supposed to get a sequel eventually. It works well enough self-contained, at any rate.

From what I've heard, it's not getting a sequel, but I think there's more coming for the setting.

• edited 2013-01-13 00:47:01
    a little muffled

I dunno. It could still be closely related enough to be considered a sequel even if it doesn't focus on Raoden and Sarene. (Wikipedia suggests it might be about Daorn and Kaise when they're older.) I mean, we've got some pretty major-league villains still at large and any further explanation about the Dor and such would clearly be building on what's revealed in Elantris.

I guess it depends on how you define sequel.

For example, I don't really think of Alloy of Law as a sequel to the Mistborn books, even though it sort of is.

• edited 2013-01-13 00:55:22
    a little muffled

Well, having not read that yet, I would agree that it's not really a sequel from what I know about it. But the difference is, Mistborn ties up most of its loose ends by the end of the third book, and then Alloy is essentially another story in the same world, right? Meanwhile Elantris has a bunch of things that aren't quite resolved, and the follow-up would probably be addressing those.

True.

• edited 2013-01-17 19:03:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Loving Warbreaker. Not far enough in to comment on the overall plot, but it definitely has the funniest cast of any Sanderson book I've read.

"You know the thing I hate most about being a mercenary? Splinters. No hazard pay for those."

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know what, I feel like we could rename the thread Mistbornclub.

• Mistborn is not the only Sanderson thing we talk about

• We just spent at least three pages talking about The Dresden Files.