If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-10-24 20:09:06
    I'm a damn twisted person
    Heapers Hangout and the shit posting threads are that away folks.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

IJBM is SERIOUS PO-MO TRANSHUMAN TECHNOTRASH ART and if YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT etc. etc. etc.

• edited 2012-10-24 20:11:50
    So I decided that if I was gonna limp, I was gonna limp in style. PIMPCANE, BABY

And by "PIMPCANE" I mean "umbrella with a crook-handle."
  • Poot dispenser here

@All the above posts:

Like, comment, and subscroob!

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

• Mandelbrot would be ashamed.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I am so sick of windchimes. :|

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> implying that this format should not be used for simply replying to stuff, without making any comments about implications

• Has friends besides tanks now

Dammit. Of course I just got another idea for a username.

Ah, well. I guess that'll be for the next community I join.

• a little muffled

Still trying to decided if I want to change here.

• Definitely not gay.

Guys

HELP ME

• Definitely not gay.

IJBM: I can't find wizard aliens in fiction.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Seriously? I'm pretty sure that's been done a lot. Not sure what examples I've seen off the top of my head, and I get the impressions that most of the ones I'm familiar with are kinda dumb, but I'm quite certain they exist.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • Definitely not gay.

All I can find is some crass joke on South Park

^ wat da fak

• Has friends besides tanks now

Ah, right, the Alien Wizard that makes men want to have sex with lots of women.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Well if you consider things from other dimensions/possibly planets D&D has a ton of them. The Gith(yanki/zeri) are the foremost. 

The Martian wizards in Adventure Time.

Calling the Green Lantern rings anything besides magic, well you are being a bit silly.

Jedi and Sith.

Time Lord tech might as well be magic at certain points. Trapping a girl in a mirror - every mirror, comes to mind.

Chaos forces and the Eldar in WH40K.

Thanos in Marvel.

The New Gods in DC. 

• >contradiction

>implying falsehood

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Jedi and Sith would be the most appropriate one, probably; they even follow the most technical and rigid definition of "wizard" there is due to the lack of a post-romantic magic system in Star Wars. Except for the EU, but fuck the EU. 

• edited 2012-10-25 00:27:13
    Definitely not gay.

The Martian wizards in Adventure Time.

Oh yeah, those guys.

Jedi and Sith.

And these guys, too! Granted, the Force is better-defined than most magic, but still.

The New Gods in DC. 

Thanos in Marvel.

Calling the Green Lantern rings anything besides magic, well you are being a bit silly.

i thought these guys just wielded vaguely-defined energy things that were explicitly separate from magic in the setting

Granted, the Force is better-defined than most magic, but still.

MAIM KILL BURN

i thought these guys just wielded vaguely-defined energy things that were explicitly separate from magic in the setting

That would require magic to be a single thing in those series, rather than five million different things.

• edited 2012-10-25 00:34:40
    I'm a damn twisted person

Alex no Alexing about how you like magic to be vague and need to do whatever the plot needs and tick off your preferred flavor of themes and nuance. We've all heard it like 40 times.

Eelektross - if it is functionally magic, you call it magic. Sure you can call the green lantern rings hyper advanced tech, but they use FEELINGS as a power source and can make whatever the user wants. 

Oh yeah one more example of a magic alien. Kyubey in Madoka Magica. 

• edited 2012-10-25 00:46:16
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alex no Alexing about how you like magic to be vague and need to do whatever the plot needs and tick off your preferred flavor of themes and nuance. We've all heard it like 40 times.

Yeah, but Star Wars was brought up.

The point is that the Force was narratively effective in the first place because it was an unknown. The Star Wars EU makes it boring as hell. It's really ironic that, statistically, many of the same people who complain about midichlorians in Ep I probably consume a lot of the EU fiction that's guilty of fundamentally the same thing. 

We're all nerds here and we all, to some degree, enjoy finding and mastering patterns. Nothing wrong with that. But I think we too often fall into that pattern-finding mode as a default without consideration or self-awareness, so we get things like this franchise decay. Not just in Star Wars, for instance, but across a variety of speculative fiction franchises. Alien is a great example. It's all driven by a compulsion to find the pattern and the answer, but we might often be better served by not knowing. 

I have no problem with codified magic systems that are appropriate for their settings and works, but it's pretty terrible to see such a perfect example of modern romanticist fantasy, such as Star Wars, become conceptually decayed and misunderstood because of consumer compulsion. We can leave that kind of systemisation to works like Fullmetal Alchemist, which pull it off with brilliance and genius. But Star Wars in particular was never meant for that amount of consistency in its elements of the arcane, because the Force was essentially just a convenient tool of character expression moreso than anything else. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Only 3 paragraphs? You're learning, Alex.

No, that's not an excuse to go off again.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Whatever is vague has not been analyzed enough yet! We as a species are better than that!

• Definitely not gay.

Oh yeah one more example of a magic alien. Kyubey in Madoka Magica. 

Oh yeah! That guy!

He was cool.
  • I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

How can we talk about alien wizards and not talk about the Eldar, the species that is made up entirely of alien wizards.

Alternatively, Orks. 

• ORKS ORKS ORKS!

Sorry, just had to do that.