If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

That would be fair use, both due to being a parody and due to consisting of a very small portion of the work.

I meant because I'd have to torrent the anime for screencaps since I don't own it.

But I discovered that there's some good quality uploads on Youtube so it's all good.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Why? I mean, they aren't hiring people to physically look at your history or anything.

Because they're tracking/monitoring your web history and preventing you from doing what people would like to do. Which may be illegal, but it's still what people want to do.

if you're downloading from the pirate bay, that's illegal

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's not. You can have torrents that are perfectly legal to download.

• edited 2012-06-30 18:43:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Oh. That would be a problem.

Because they're tracking/monitoring your web history 

They already have logs of your web history. This doesn't really make a difference in that.

and preventing you from doing what people would like to do. Which may be illegal, but it's still what people want to do.

"Because people would really like to break the law" really doesn't cut it as far as arguments against this sort of thing go.

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's not. You can have torrents that are perfectly legal to download

I wasn't talking about torrents as a whole, but the Pirate Bay specifically, which is dedicated to illegal ones.

• You can change. You can.

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's not. You can have torrents that are perfectly legal to download.

Only in the condition that the torrent you are downloading comes from the creator of the work itself, I think. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

They already have logs of your web history. This doesn't really make a difference in that.

It does. They already have it, but before, it just sat there passively. Now they are using it.

It might not sound like much to you, but that would be a deal breaker to me. I hate the thought of people monitoring what I'm doing like that.

Only in the condition that the torrent you are downloading comes from the creator of the work itself, I think. 

Ooooor if the torrent contains non-copyrighted material. :|

• "Because people would really like to break the law" really doesn't cut it as far as arguments against this sort of thing go.

It's not a very good argument in that it certainly won't get ISPs to get rid of it, but it's still legitimate to not like it for that reason.

• edited 2012-06-30 18:47:17

monitoring what I'm doing like that.

But that isn't what they're doing. They'd have no idea what you're doing unless you visit sites that are specifically flagged as pirate sites. And even then, that's all they'd know.

it's still legitimate to not like it for that reason.

Well, here's the thing. Anti-piracy measures are going to happen. Because...well, it's a way of breaking the law with no possible consequences at the moment, and that isn't good.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Only got one picture done before my parents roped me into going on the boat.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be coming back to the Daybreak OVA a lot for caps.
  • edited 2012-06-30 18:48:38
    You can change. You can.

Ooooor if the torrent contains non-copyrighted material. :|

That would work as a notable exception if copyrighted material was normally distributed through torrents, though.

Not to mention that I don't think many people use torrents to have access to non-copyrighted material

• I'm a damn twisted person

Part of me wonders if this will really benefit the RIAA and MPAA like they think it will. On one hand people might just go out and buy the things they would have torrented. On the other hand they might not touch it at all since they didn't want stuff enough to pay for it in the first place. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Part of me wonders if this will really benefit the RIAA and MPAA like they think it will

Oh, it definitely won't. The thing that will is good digital distribution (see iTunes and how music piracy isn't nearly as much of a problem anymore).

But that isn't what they're doing. They'd have no idea what you're doing unless you visit sites that are specifically flagged as pirate sites. And even then, that's all they'd know.

The thing is, they're still actively monitoring what I'm doing.

I don't care that they're 'only' monitoring what I'd be doing on suspicious websites. That's still far, far more information than I'd be comfortable with my ISP knowing.

I think it's funny that with this, America will actually be more restrictive on their internet than Australia is. Hahaha.

Not to mention that I don't think many people use torrents to have access to the same.

I think you'd be surprised at how many fanworks get distributed through torrents. Go look up Touhou fanworks on torrent sites, for instance.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Still from what I can tell from the article, it sounds like they are actively spying on people. 

The content industries calls this scheme a “graduated response” plan, which will see Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T and others spying on users’ Internet activities and watching for potential copyright infringement.

• No rainbow star

Fuck my dad. He made my mom cry earlier today. And even though I asked MULTIPLE times today for the Skype username my sister is using, he got pissed at me for not contacting my sister over Skype yet. Yet I still tried around ten times to call my grandmother to ask

My dad can go fuck himself

• Even though I don't like what the ISP's are doing I'm not going to panic yet. One, it's mainly focused on music and movies not games and anime. Two, there are ways around it already. Three, I have no idea if my ISP is even participating. 

My country isn't even participating, so I'm not exactly concerned.

If it proves "succesful", the model will be replicated by foreign ISPs

• edited 2012-06-30 18:57:08
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Torrenting Anime is the only thing I'm really sad to lose. Don't torrent movies or games, I can live without music, and I can get enough TV shows on Netflix and HBO Go.

They might not call it out specifically but I'm not really comfortable pushing my luck.

If it proves "succesful", the model will be replicated by foreign ISPs

We have our own plans for this :/

I'm just gonna start a nation where copyright means shit

will call it genosha

it'll be boss

call it

latveria

i dunno

i don't wanna doom it from the start

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I don't torrent often, but I do use steaming/reader sites a lot. So, I'm more worried about those going under fire (again).

• edited 2012-06-30 19:07:24

Still from what I can tell from the article, it sounds like they are actively spying on people. 

The content industries calls this scheme a “graduated response” plan, which will see Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T and others spying on users’ Internet activities andwatching for potential copyright infringement.

The thing is, "watching" in the literal sense would require a completely insane budget. I mean, you'd have to hire people to, in real time, read every url someone accesses it, then go to it and check it for copyrighted content. You'd need hundreds of thousands of people, working around the clock, forever.

This would cost tens of millions of dollars per day. They're not going to do that.

• edited 2012-06-30 19:06:25
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

^^^ so you want to-

oh hahaha

• But Genosha might just X it out.

I'unno. I'd say it depends entirely on the leader. I think that such a leader should have a...magnetic personality, if you will.

• That'd be pretty neato.

booooo

oh shut up koala bear person

the adults are punning.