If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2011-11-15 19:30:54
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Madoka's generic, I guess, but she was someone I could see reasonably moving into her messianic role through her virtues, whereas most magical girl protagonists tend to be more endearing losers.

Mami had the best theme music though.

• You can change. You can.
    My eyes water a bit whenever I yawn. Is it the same way for anyone else?

If I'm really tired, yeah.

Madoka's generic, I guess, but she was someone I could see reasonably moving into her messianic role through her virtues, whereas most magical girl protagonists tend to be more endearing losers.

The thing is that I feel that while it's a reasonable character arc (From clueless and impotent, to all knowing and omnipotent) and it's done right, I still feel that she didn't earn it, even though there's no reason for this, if that makes sense. 

I'd say that my real problem with her is that the cast is full of screw ups and damaged people (Except for Mami, who was too busy being ahead of the others to care.) and that Madoka's goodness feels...out of place? dunno.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • -wishes people cared about any magical girl series that isn't Madoka or Nanoha-
    I'd watch Utena, but I'm stuck with Agent Cooper right now.

And I need to prepare a couple of reviews cuz I'm getting published~

And there's Sakura, which I've been meaning to rewatch. Mostly to see if it holds up to my memory of it.
  • edited 2011-11-15 19:40:12
    You should tell me if it does. 

^^Hey, I like Princess Tutu!

My friend is pushing Nanoha on me after learning I like Madoka, so I might try it out after finishing Tutu.

Also, I'm pretty sure the appeal in Nanoha and Madoka is the femme Gar.
  • edited 2011-11-15 19:43:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I should get around to watching Nanoha.  I'd probably like it.

Also, heh.

• The thing is that I feel that while it's a reasonable character arc (From clueless and impotent, to all knowing and omnipotent) and it's done right, I still feel that she didn't earn it, even though there's no reason for this, if that makes sense.

In some ways, Homura is the one who "earned" it for her--everything Homura built up was what allowed her to do it, both in the sense that her actions led to the build up of energy that let her accomplish it and in the sense that her repetition of timelines gave Madoka the opportunity. But Madoka is still the one who had the insight and empathy to make the wish that changed the game.

In another sense, her final status isn't something to be "earned"--it's a role she'll be carrying out for all eternity, without a chance to live a life of her own. It's more of a burden to be accepted. I don't know if she earned it, but she was the one who stepped forward when it needed to be done.

Come to think of it, in that light it sort of reminds me of the end of Eden of the East (though I haven't seen the movies yet).

• edited 2011-11-15 19:58:52

Eh, I feel Cardcaptor Sakura is far less enjoyable for a 20-year-old compared to a 10-year-old, mostly because at the latter age you're more focused on the fun characters and don't pay as much attention to how ridiculous the premise and plot is. Especially the Sakura/Star Card Arc. Dear writers: pushing the reset button whenever anyone manages to figure out whodunit is not clever. It's lazy.

Also, I'm reminded that I probably should get back to watching Full Moon o Sagashite at some point. I find it odd that I like it considering Ed Wood is my favourite movie and that pretty much skewers the "follow your dreams" plot, but hey, Mitsuki is really, really likeable. As is Wood, incidentally.

• So I clicked a dubious link to a (Forsaken World) gold selling site. Bah, now I'll have to scan this computer.

Also, Homura beats all.
  • edited 2011-11-15 19:45:36
    smote

Indeed.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @DYRE: Actually, I was merely thinking of people talking about Skyrim as opposed to any of the games I had on my to-finish list.  Didn't think of anything in particular on my animé repertoire, though I did think of lampshading the fact that I've previously complained about no one else talking about obscure animé series I've seen.

That said, no, the .hack//Sign series is not at all obscure.  And I'm not really too fond of it either; the dubbing and the story pacing could be better.  So far I'd say I enjoyed the .hack//Another Birth light novel series more than Sign.

@gentlemanorcus

What sort of board game are you designing?

@DonZabu: I do too.
    I wish there was nother Magic card named after a Madoka character so I could make a jokey yuri ship.

Oh well, I guess I'll settle for the usual

Mah waifu.

@Protega: True, I suppose. My other complaint holds true, though!
  • Utena: God-tier.

CCS: I love it but also I am me.  It's very much a kids' show and has a lot of issues in the plot and whatnot, so it's pretty reasonable if you don't like it.

Princess Tutu:  Also God-tier.  Similar to Utena, though a lot easier to understand.  Also has ballet.

Nanoha: I don't normally care for action anime very much, but I did really like the first season of Nanoha.  A's seemed to focus too much on the sci-fi and action stuff though, and less on the characters, so I thought it wasn't as good as the first season.

Really, though, when I said "magical girl shows" I really meant "magical girl shows that I am watching right now" and by that I really mean Heartcatch Precure because it's awesome and I wish I could talk about it. ;_;

>Precure

isthisniggaserious.jpg
  • edited 2011-11-15 19:55:08
    Okay, here's an important question. What is the extent of the loli fanservice in Nanoha?
    Well, fwiw, cygan really loves Nanoha, and she hates loli fanservice, so
    @Juan_Carlos: What does that card have to do with Madoka?
    It's an injoke between Protega and me.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Didn't Cygan basically blast it for being shit at the same time, though?
  • Also, it bugs me that this is true:

Didn't Cygan basically blast it for being shit at the same time, though?

Cygan said it wasn't that good, yeah. 

Honestly, I've yet to watch it, so I can't really judge. I've been meaning to watch it because I hear it gets Dirty Dozen-like up in that bitch.

And if there's something that immediately calls my attention, it's Dirty Dozen plots. 
  • edited 2011-11-15 20:12:56
    a little muffled
    @Malkavian:
    Okay, here's an important question. What is the extent of the loli fanservice in Nanoha?
    First season should be avoided if you have exceptionally low tolerance for that, though it really isn't that prominent. (I don't know if the movie is better about that, but most people seem to recommend watching the movie rather than the series now anyway, since the first two thirds of the series is slow and generically monster-of-the-week anyway.) A's is free of it as far as I remember, and I haven't seen StrikerS but it has significantly fewer lolis in the main cast anyway.
    @DYRE
    > Utena: God-tier.

What exactly is so good about Utena?  Is there anything that could convince me to watch it despite my dislike of the art style and what I hear are strong yuri overtones.

> CCS: I love it but also I am me.  It's very
    much a kids' show and has a lot of issues in the plot and whatnot, so
    it's pretty reasonable if you don't like it.

Have been considering watching this myself, but it's not high on my list.

Have also tried Precure, starting from the first series, but the first ep didn't pique my interest for whatever reason.

@Malkavian

Not much.  Pretty much relegated to transformation sequences, and maybe a few panty shots in the first season.  Thereafter, the main selling point of the series was no longer loli fanservice anyway.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "Because of how alien he is?"

Basically. I love how his idea of pragmatism translates to masterful trolling. And I just can't say no to a quality troll.

"Kyubey is awesome in the sense that I want to punt him into a wall over and over."

I didn't really want to punt him into a wall as much as I would just smirk like a little kid and be like "Damn" whenever he pulled one of his stunts.

"The thing is that I feel that while it's a reasonable character arc (From clueless and impotent, to all knowing and omnipotent) and it's done right, I still feel that she didn't earn it, even though there's no reason for this, if that makes sense. 

I'd say that my real problem with her is that the cast is full of screw ups and damaged people (Except for Mami, who was too busy being ahead of the others to care.) and that Madoka's goodness feels...out of place? dunno."

See, I can't fault Madoka for being what she is because of how necessary her angelic qualities are in order to create a happy ending for everyone; given all the problems everyone else had, they weren't going to reach a good conclusion without her, and a story like that is really more worthwhile with a good ending. Plus, she's adorable and all the shit she goes through made me real sad.
  • edited 2011-11-15 20:32:00
    What exactly is so good about Utena? Is there anything that could convince me to watch it despite my dislike of the art style and what I hear are strong yuri overtones.

Er... because the story and characters are interesting and well-written, plus it is pretty innovative and influential so it might be worth watching just for those reasons anyway?  I dunno.  I really am terrible at explaining much of anything.  I do think it's worth watching even if you don't like the art style though.

I'm not sure why "yuri overtones" count as a bad thing though...

Oh, also, even if you didn't like the first Precure series, other Precure series are generally unrelated and quite a bit different.  And, at least in the case of Heartcatch Precure, far better, so that would probably be a better series to try than Futari Wa Pretty Cure.

• edited 2011-11-15 20:41:33
    You can change. You can.
    What exactly is so good about Utena? Is there anything that could convince me to watch it despite my dislike of the art style and what I hear are strong yuri overtones.

Think shojo deconstructivism mixed with early-Evangelion's mix of humor and relatively dark characters with a dash of Gainax insanity.

See, I can't fault Madoka for being what she is because of how necessary her angelic qualities are in order to create a happy ending for everyone; given all the problems everyone else had, they weren't going to reach a good conclusion without her, and a story like that is really more worthwhile with a good ending. Plus, she's adorable and all the shit she goes through made me real sad.

Yeah, admittedly, she was kinda instrumental towards the good ending and her taking the bullet and making a choice that is clearly far suckier than it should be for the sake of the people who she fought alongside with is good and all that.

But I still felt that she was kind of a...shallow good, you know? Part of it is that she's forced to be from the battles and we barely, if ever, see her fight (Only episode ten, I think), while we see all the other characters being involved in the fight against Kyubey, we only see Madoka playing a passive role, being the princess the characters must protect, rather than a capable person who handles her own self.

Her decision at the end does make her look a lot better to me, though. But I'd say that she didn't engage me as much as Mami, Homura or Sayaka did.
  • Planning on Pre Ordering Asura's Wrath from Gamestop to get the Art Book and Penny Arcade Comic that comes with it after christmas time.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "But I still felt that she was kind of a...shallow good, you know? Part of it is that she's forced to be from the battles and we barely, if ever, see her fight (Only episode ten, I think), so while we see all the other characters being involved in the fight against Kyubey, we only see Madoka playing a passive role, being the princess who more the mcguffin the characters must protect, rather than a capable person who handles her own self."

I liked how it took so long for her to make her decision; her nervousness towards the whole ordeal felt . . . well, more believable, I guess. I can see how it would wear thin toward the last third of the series, but, frankly, I see the other characters, aside from Kyubey, as almost being like set pieces. Madoka's purpose was much different, and in the way she's so important and so different, I still feel that she's rightly the main character (as in the one that the plot is ultimately centered around, and really, it kinda had to be), although Homura is certainly the leading protagonist in the series, as far as moving the plot along goes.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Not to mention that whenever she was willing to put herself out there, Homura was there to go 'lol nope'.

Dammit, on the one hand I want more Madoka... on the other it's such a solid package that more would probably just undo what made it great.