If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2011-11-07 21:46:57
    Torrents are far less convenient than streams since you have to wait for several gigs of stuff to down before you can watch anything. We're talking about wait times of anywhere from a day to a week, typically. And when you're done downing it, you're out several gigs of space. So basically, you have to commit to wanting it.

I have never seen a single episode of a TV show be "several gigs", and it's not like you have to download the entire series before you can watch a single episode (and you can have your torrent client prioritize the files in such a way that it downloads them in sequential order).  And downloading a single episode of a show takes, like... 5 minutes, which is actually less time than I usually have to wait if I stream it (because if I don't wait for the video to buffer, playback will be negatively affected).

Also there's no reason to worry about your seed ratio on individual episode torrents of new shows, since the torrents don't have to survive very long since there'll be a batch eventually anyway.

• edited 2011-11-07 21:46:54

"Torrents are far less convenient than streams since you have to wait for several gigs of stuff to down before you can watch anything. We're talking about wait times of anywhere from a day to a week, typically. And when you're done downing it, you're out several gigs of space. So basically, you have to commit to wanting it."

"several gigs"

Yeah, exceeding my bandwidth limit in a single day isn't fun, slightly prettier pixel combinations be damned.

• edited 2011-11-07 21:49:30
    You can change. You can.
    ^ Except if you just torrented something, you ought to at least let it seed up to 1 before scrapping it.

I always delete my torrents after I've got what I want unless I really want to seed the file. 

But it's not necessary to do so.

Yeah, exceeding my bandwidth limit in a single day isn't fun, slightly prettier pixel combinations be damned.

Where do you guys even find torrents where you have to download a full gigabyte for an episode.

hell, most hour-long live action tv show are around 350 MBs tops. Except for British ones, which hit around 500 tops.
  • They're somethin' else.
    If there's anything I love about the series, especially as far as the manga is concerned, its the epic faces everyone makes. This show and comic is reaction image fodder XD
  • edited 2011-11-07 21:50:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @DYRE:

...you download individual eps?

How do you have the certainty that you can get all the eps from the same fansub group then?

And if you want decent quality, then that's at least over a hundred megs worth of a download per episode...and that's more than a few minutes unless you're on a nice connection AND the server giving it to you is also on a nice connection.

For streaming, I rarely have trouble, and if I do it's typically solved by simply letting the video load up while I go do something else.

@Juan_Carlos:

It's not necessary, sure, but it's a nice thing to do.  Doubly so if you're on someplace like baka, which actually requires you maintain your ratios.
    FUCK YEAH! BATTLE ROYALE DAT SHIT, YUNO!
  • And if you want decent quality, then that's at least over a hundred megs worth of a download per episode...and that's more than a few minutes unless you're on a nice connection AND the server giving it to you is also on a nice connection.

I often get like 1-2 MB/s download on well-seeded torrents, so a couple hundred megs is not much at all.

How do you have the certainty that you can get all the eps from the same fansub group then?

Because why wouldn't I be able to?  I just download the episodes as they're released.  Of course I'll download a batch torrent if it's a completed series.  In any case, streaming gives you no guarantee that every episode will be by the same group (and if my experience streaming anime has taught me anything, it's that more often than not all the episodes won't be by the same group).

• You can change. You can.
    It's not necessary, sure, but it's a nice thing to do.  

but the argument doesn't hold much water if it's not a thing inherent to torrents, does it?
    I'd understand if you were forced to do so, but you're not. It's your choice.

Doubly so if you're on someplace like baka, which actually requires you maintain your ratios.

Eh, there are always better torrent sites that don't require so much of you. 
  • edited 2011-11-07 21:53:11
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    What episode are you on, Schitzo?
    Second ep, where she loses it and 'splodes everyone in a "With Yuki or Against Yuki" raeg.

I'm dissappointed that they didn't do the "Your eyes gave you away" thing vs The 9th. That was pretty clever, if a little shoneny.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I often get like 1-2 MB/s download on well-seeded torrents, so a couple hundred megs is not much at all.

Your connection speed AND your allowed bandwidth are higher than mine have ever been, as far as I know.

> Because why wouldn't I be able to?  I just download the episodes as
    they're released.  Of course I'll download a batch torrent if it's a
    completed series.  In any case, streaming gives you no guarantee that
    every episode will be by the same group (and if my experience streaming
    anime has taught me anything, it's that more often than not all the
    episodes won't be by the same group).

I like consistency in the formatting and style of my subs.

> but the argument doesn't hold much water if it's not a thing inherent to torrents, does it?  I'd understand if you were forced to do so, but you're not. It's your choice.

Perhaps I'm just too nice, then.

> Eh, there are always better torrent sites that don't require so much of you.

Sure, but I am reasonably sure that baka has no crapware, no broken files, no unseeded torrents, decent seed speed, a relatively large amount of info on the torrents in question (including things like resolution and torrent contents), a reliable way to find stuff (as long as it's English fansubbed and not funi), and even info on alternative torrents of the same series.
  • >I like consistency in the formatting and style of my subs.

Er... yes, so do I. Which is why I always download releases by the same group, which is not something I really can do if I'm streaming, since then choices are very limited (as most sites will only have one version of a particular episode of a show, and it won't even necessarily be subbed by the same group that did previous episodes).

>Your connection speed AND your allowed bandwidth are higher than mine have ever been, as far as I know.

Hm... fair enough. I'm constantly surprised when people say they have bandwidth limits of only a few gigs a month or whatever, since I feel like Comcast's 250 GB/month (up+down) isn't high enough... >.>
  • No rainbow star
    I took some aspirin and dissolved it against the gum. It still hurts and I ended up swallowing the aspirin anyways because GOD THAT STUFF IS AWFUL!
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Okay, so tell me if this Devil May Cry idea is totally dumb or not.

You know how, on a European longsword (which Dante's sword follows the basic patterns of), the angular relationship between the blade and crossguard is ninety degrees? And you know how a pistol's grip sometimes goes down from the barrel at exactly the same angle?

Have a sword with a locking along something like a machine riccasso that locks guns against (hollow and uncovered) crossguard. so the pistols sit upside-down, grips against the riccasso of the blade and the barrels within the crossguard. The triggers would be conveniently located where riccasso finger rings actually are on swords that have them.

The fighting style? It's simply normal European longsword, except that when context allows, you've got a trigger to pull that blasts your adversary's face off. I imagine it'd be especially useful during binds, where you only have to defend against your adversary's sword. That defense will naturally line your crossguard-barrels up with your adversary's body. And then blam.
  • No rainbow star
    In other words, a gunsword?
  • edited 2011-11-07 23:32:02
    I'd give it to Nero, but it doesn't seem like a Dante thing.

Also, I was dicking around on TVT's Smallville page, when I found this gem of a WMG

"Smallville is a deconstruction of Super Sentai/Power Ranger shows"

Fortunately, the only response is someone calling the creator of the WMG out.
    ^^ Yes, but one that works. Every other gunsword concept I've seen out that is horrendously impractical, but this one doesn't fuck with sword design enough to prevent the sword from being effective and well-balanced. At the same time, it uses the mechanics of swordplay to automatically aim the gun for you.
  • So a friend bought a bottle of Dr. Pepper, as did another. The first was eventually able to pry the lid off. The second? Not so much. After we took turns prying it open, I succeeded. Not by prying it open, but by snapping the glass around the lid in half with some glass still wedged inside the lid.

Fuckin' strong man right here.
  • edited 2011-11-07 23:49:28
    The gunblade always annoyed me because it made no conceptual sense. It didn't shoot bullets it didn't shoot the blade, so it was just a gun with a pistol grip and needless accessories.

^THE DRINK OF GENIUSES!
    Supposedly it gives the blade downward momentum when it "fires", but fuck if I care.
    > FF designers implying that downward momentum needs any help when rising and horizontal strikes already work against gravity

Actually, a gunblade is a reasonably sensible weapon in the most literal sense. In fact, there are true historical examples. Not of swords, mind, but plenty of polearm types have had gun variants, where the shaft is essentially a fuckawesome barrel.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yes, but the gunblade isn't actually a gun. It's just like... gun decorations.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    As I understand it "firing" a gunblade merely sends vibrations through the blade.

Why that would be useful I have no idea.
  • edited 2011-11-08 00:50:08
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yeah. It's pretty silly.

It's also Final Fantasy, which possibly has the worst grasp of weapons practicality that I've ever seen in a creative franchise. So it's to be expected, I suppose.

^ It could actually fracture the blade along flaw lines, and if the vibrations cause too much heat, completely ruin the temper of the blade. There is literally no use for it.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Like if it were a gun with a blade attachment, that would make sense, but no. They have to be all unique.
    The only thing worse than Square's weapons is its costumes. It's all so...tacky.
  • edited 2011-11-08 00:52:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ My favourite "gunblades" are still Renaissance firearms built into the shafts of polearms. That entire era was ridiculous and awesome.

^ Mind, Monster Hunter does similar things, but manages to make them awesome.
  • You can change. You can.
    FF is supposed to be cheesy as fuck in presentation

It's the characters who matter

the problem is that they suck.
    > Monster Hunter has all the design flaws of FF
    > no characterisation
    > still way better

Explain that one.
    >FF is supposed to be cheesy as fuck in presentation

If it is, it's definitely not intentional.