If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Eh, I don't see why would we do the name change when we don't do anything different from any other mega thread. But that might be just me. Of course, I wouldn't oppose it, either. 

As for education being free, I feel that education is a right, and as such should be provided freely, unless you're getting it through private means, so yeah, sorta agree with Conductor there.

that reminds me, I should be writing an article on the whole shebang going on colleges around here. hmmmm.
  • Post-secondary education not being free is simply denying opportunities for a significant portion of the population.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I could have gone to quite a few schools for free, but none of them were as good as the one I'm attending now.

Of course, now I'm planning to leave that one, so...
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    39000? My college costs $44k before scholarships (luckily I got enough to halve the cost), and there are some high-ranked private schools that cost way more than that. University of Chicago's Law School, for example, costs like $60k per semester.
    Oh, yeah, I know that it's not really all that much, relatively speaking.

I'm only talking about it because people were asking.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I was mostly talking to Conductor and Ian about prices over here.
    Ah, 'kay.

Incidentally, my school is a public school.
  • Yeah, actually, relatively speaking, that's ridiculously high.
    Hmmm, I pay around 1'800.000 pesos per semester. That'd be around 3000-4000 thousand dollars, I think.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:14:51
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Whilst I hate the current Tory govt for allowing Uni fees to be £9k a term I'm glad we haven't fully embraced the American system.

How can people afford to study?
    Paying roughly 40k a year for a child to go to uni:s?
    Let alone that is upfront.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:18:12

Don't you get it? You're not supposed to help your child become dependent. It is the American way to work 3 jobs in order to pay that tuition!

Egad, I can't believe that in light of "We are the 53%", that strawman has more truth to it than it seems.

• edited 2011-10-15 19:18:11
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    @Abyss: Yeah, but INUH goes to Georgia Tech (IIRC). That's a pretty prestigious school, and you pay for prestige.
  • How much does the quality of education actually improve though?
    ^It has the highest ratio of starting salary to tuition in the US.
  • Haven't been keeping up with this thread so I have no time to read the last few pages...what countries provide free education in general, and how do they manage to do this? If they're failing at providing free education, I want to know that reason as well.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:23:19
    Yeah, but that's job credentials, which is not necessarily education. But that's North American priority for you, I guess.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:26:43
    @Abyss: A lot, most of the time. Unless you wind up with bad professors. Though prestige means a lot when it comes to graduate school and employment.
    It does provide an excellent education.

I'm just leaving because it turns out I really suck at the thing I was there for.

Anyway, I should point out to all the people freaking out about prices that there are some pretty amazing scholarships available in the US.
    Haven't been keeping up with this thread so I have no time to read the last few pages...what countries provide free education in general, and how do they manage to do this? If they're failing at providing free education, I want to know that reason as well.

Except for the EICTV, Cuba does provide free education. It provides it via getting money from tourists and all that, though.

And welp, it's not like you're gonna get much for your education. Hell, working a cab is prolly the highest paying work right now.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    How do you afford that kind of expense though?
    I mean surely with that only richer (relatively speaking) families can afford it?

As I'm shocked by prices, what are the scholarships available?
    Pretty much any school will offer need-based scholarships, charging you what they think you can afford.

And there are a completely absurd number of merit-based or sometimes luck-based ones offered, both by schools and by corporations (the luck-based ones mostly by corporations).
  • Don't forget about student loans.
    I have to say that doesn't negate the shock much.
    As in the UK you get given extra money if you come from a 'poor' family.

I got it myself, it was a grant (free money) of 2k a year.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:34:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Well, yeah, there's that too.

They're...less pleasant, though.

^I can get 5k a year from a school costing about half as much as the one I'm at now, just from need-based aid, even though my family's pretty well-off.

I think Tech is just stingy.
  • edited 2011-10-15 19:34:48
    @Ian: Loans usually, that's why people working for 10 years and up to pay them off is such a big deal.

And there are tons of scholarships available, but it depends the school. I only did mediocre in my highschool (3.0 GPA, barely any extracurricular, but good ACT scores), and my college threw over $20k at me.
    I don't see what's the difference between a grant and a reduction of price. I mean, at the end, you're still using other people's money to pay for college and education.
    What are US student loans like?
    As over here they are par for the course.
    You get a loan for x amount a year for Uni fees, plus another loan for x amount for living.

You pay 0% interest and only pay it back when you earn over 15k a year, as a percentage is taken out of your wages.
  • edited 2011-10-15 20:00:26

• If this will work for you, this is a good overview of the student loan process.
    So you still pay interest and around 31k of debt?
    (Or have I misread that link entirely :s?)