If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I read that as "Batman's Resort 2019 collection".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    That's what Naas said earlier too.

Like I said then; I'm sure Batman's Resort 2019 collection has way more capes and masks.
  • edited 2018-09-03 04:14:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    A large portion of the National Museum of Brazil (itself housed in a historic building that formerly housed the Portuguese and Brazilian royalty) has just this evening burned down in a fire.

At least four years of budgetary neglect for proper building maintenance are likely to have been factors in the heavy damage caused by this fire.

A full assessment of what and how many items in the museum's collection of 20 million objects (as well as related research work!) have been lost to the fire, is not yet possible due to the current condition of the building.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45392668

photos of the fire as well as of the building in better times and of some artifacts that were housed at the Museum can be found in this twitter thread: (click the timestamp to see the entire thread)
  • Awww, that sucks. There was a lot of history within those walls, and apparently most of it has been lost.
  • edited 2018-09-03 05:29:07
    Apparently an initial assessment is that everything that was on display has been affected by the fire. Presumably a few things (such as the meteorite chunk) survived, but most of the artifacts -- especially the ones that relied on being dry for preservation, and would consequently be quite flammable -- are likely entirely lost.

Collection items that were housed offsite were unaffected, of course, and the Rio de Janeiro Zoological Garden was unaffected.

Also, thanks to that twitter feed, I just now found out that New Delhi (India)'s National Museum of Natural History burned down in 2016. It also tragically destroyed the entire collection.

These sorts of events really ought to get more attention.

Here is a piece by Villa-Lobos to express my emotions toward this.

• edited 2018-09-03 08:39:40
    Update: seems likely that the invertebrate collection (such as insects of various kinds) and the dry artifacts collection -- dinosaur fossils, paleontological artifacts, South American anthropological artifacts (such as remains of the oldest human ever known to have lived in what is now Brazil), historical artifact, stuff from the Brazilian royal family, Egyptian artifacts, etc. -- are lost, while the wet vertebrate collection and the herbarium are safe; the research library might also be safe, but dunno whether it's because it's in another building or it's "far down".

Also FWIW firefighting was delayed because some nearby fire hydrants didn't work and they actually had to get water from a lake.

In any case, people have already drawn comparisons between this and the fire at the legendary Library of Alexandria.

And it seems some people are understandably quite angry about this. For the US American perspective, it's like if the Library of Congress or the Smithsonian museums burned down because Congress couldn't give it sufficient finding for building maintenance for years.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ironically they had recently secured a loan with the state bank to pay for fire safety system upgrades
  • edited 2018-09-03 09:35:10
    In any case, people have already drawn comparisons between this and the fire at the legendary Library of Alexandria.

I've been looking into this recently and it seems there never was such an event but rather a gradual decline.
  • Must've been a really slow fire.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    This is some frickin' sad shit to read.
  • edited 2018-09-03 18:22:45

And now we're at the stage of figuring out what was lost. Here's for starters.
    You know I always wished for more political discourse on IJBM.

I take it back.
  • edited 2018-09-05 17:53:55
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I wonder if I should wish less for the return of Nova's stories.

edit: I mean, if your wish went this way, perhaps I should rethink mine.
    I know she still hangs out around other parts of the internet (and Discord, which isn't my favorite platform and probably only really behind twitter in that regard). I tried to keep in touch but I've been incredibly sloppy about it over the past few months.

Anyways, it wasn't really a conscious bias, but somewhere along the line I started to believe that the skinny pant was synonymous with being fashionable. Obviously, they look very good and everything and they are basically the calling card of the Modern Fashionable Young Adult Male, but I had blinders on so strong that I didn't even consider any other type of pant.

As trends move away from Athleisure and back to ripped jeans (oh goodness why people why) I've also finally moved on. I caught a bit of a documentary on the quieter bits of 1940s life and I fell in love with their ridiculously gigantic high-waisted pants (seen here).

I can't just up and change my style in a day, but I have started to invest in wide-legged pants that are much longer than necessary so I can cuff them at the end. I tried on some two-tone shoes the other day but they were way too uncomfortable even at the correct size (the sales guy insisted they'd grow as I wore them but he was also trying to sell me shoes at the time so I didn't entirely trust him).
  • edited 2018-09-06 08:23:03
  • You know I always wished for more political discourse on IJBM.

I take it back.

In my defense: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish for more Touhou posts.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    There's a cool spider outside my window.
    I know it's outside your window and not mine but I still shuddered a bit.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    I'm more on Discord these days, and just made my own server: https://discord.gg/Ph4fNB9
    I'm intimidated by a Discord you created because imagine it's the sort of place where everybody discusses the validity of Silicon Valley LSD whilst drinking tiny cups of Italian black coffee and relating it to the true meaning of life trolls.

I think if I ever had a band I would call it flatbread because it's so perfectly normcore. We'd play post-EDM lounge music via ravey new wave trance.
  • Once again I'm watching over some relative's home. I have things to do at my own home (including watching over it) but here I am. I should take the habit of saying "no" to this.

The good news is that I have unlimited Wi-Fi, although I'm limited to using a tablet.
    I'm more on Discord these days, and just made my own server: https://discord.gg/Ph4fNB9
    Those sure are some self-explanatory channel names.
    I should take the habit of saying "no" to this.

Sometimes I think I say "no" too often, especially when it results in some level of risk. On the other hand a lot of the times when I went against my better instinct things turned out badly. Or, at the very least, it was really annoying all throughout and that bit that always happens in movies where you realize you did the right thing/actually enjoy whatever never came.

But hey, free Wi-Fi!
    Yesterday I learned that a fellow J-pop fan and fashion follower (basically the only one I've met ever) is also an anti-vaxxer with a side-dose of "GSK want you to believe vaccines are safe" conspiracy theories.

I mean a few weeks ago she also revealed herself to be a radical black power theorist but I was so willing to overlook that that I actually forgot about it until a few hours ago.
  • But hey, free Wi-Fi!

ikr, I spent pretty much every minute I could on Youtube. Anyhows, I'm back home now.

^ As a general rule, someone who follows a conspiracy theory is also likely to follow several other conspiracy theories.
  • edited 2018-09-18 05:21:33
    Sidenote:

What's the difference between a scientist and a conspiracy theorist?

The conspiracy theorist spends their time trying to prove themselves right, while the scientist spends their time trying to prove themselves wrong.
    A mad scientist is somehow simultaneously both, I guess?
    @Zennistrad you asked whether I'm still on Twitter?

I just had one of my most inconsequential tweets blow up unexpectedly.