If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2014-07-30 17:07:05
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, uh, you guys've heard of the new Mad Max film?  (I'll call it "movie" when it's in America, which it isn't.) I mean, they let out some new trailer or shit. I have mixed feelings, but the trailer makes an incrementally improving impression on me.

• Accelerationism is the 'lol I'm doing it ironically so it's okay' of philosophies. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Sounds familiar. Something lesswrongian?

• It's originally Marxist, but it's indeed also used in those spheres. Anything that involves overclocking the system(be it boosting not-so-nice productivity-increasing measures to make the workers revolt, hoping for a race war in the hope that such an incident will lead to the support for radical reconstruction of society, that sort of stuff). It's TV-villain tier philosophy, but I suppose that's the appeal for Debord fanboys.  

• Ooh, now I have a name for that thing where I wish for an economic collapse.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

If I understand it right, that would be the name if you became a chavist so you could personally wreck the economy.

• edited 2014-08-02 20:47:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

breaded chicken pattie

bun

one piece of lettuce (approximately 3 in x 3 in)

mayonnaise

Observe: the American idea of a serving of veggies.

• edited 2014-08-02 22:09:59

Re: Accelerationism:

Yeah, well, the 1970s oil shock gave the powers that be a convenient excuse to force the neoliberalism fraud onto us. So I doubt that works.

• Oh man I completely forgot this forum existed.

How has it changed since Day 0?

• People got banned and stuff.

• By which you mean "people got banned from TVT and came here", right?

Woohoo, buddy, do you have to catch up with... Good thing we have the Drama Chronicles thread. 

• By which you mean "people got banned from TVT and came here", right?

No, people got banned from here too.

• edited 2014-08-03 18:44:05

Although there was at least one guy who got banned from here shortly after getting banned from TVT.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Some people left, and some new people joined.  Some inactive members also started posting again.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

New laptop has been ordered! Should be arriving by the end of the week.

• > we can do everything we want

> shitposting

> chagen

> drama

> everybody gets banned

> let's talk about TVT

> drama

> let's talk about making media

> let's talk about Something Awful

> drama

> let's talk about ponies, animes, vydia gaems, sexism, batman, swords and memes

> inertia

> you are here

You forgot some drama.

Well, that was weird.

Message from a guy who's a fellow advisee of my advisor, and has basically taken over minor administrative duties for organizing events for his advisees:

Hi [my real life first name],

Is it true that you used to [activity]?

[activity] is indeed something that I used to do, while an undergrad.  I was in a club for it.  (FWIW, it's a type of group dance, before you get any stupid ideas for trying to guess what it is.)

I Googled my (real) name and [activity] and found that it was mentioned in this one article, like once.

Hello, cyberstalker.  At least I know you in meatspace...

• edited 2014-08-08 17:38:49

Maybe he stalks you so he can give you better advise.

Somewhat related.

• Robin Williams has died.
  • Aww, he never did get to play Professor Oak like he wanted to. It's sad that depression had to claim him.

In other news, Maryam Mirzakhani just won the Fields Medal. Her work is fascinating stuff that makes me wish I took more math courses. Also, as a graduate student, her slow and steady style makes me feel a lot better about myself.

• a little muffled

man every time I read an article about a great mathematician or whatever I get depressed about how I didn't do anything cool as a kid/teenager

That's nothing.

It's even more depressing when you realize that that amazing programmer on the localization team that brought you this really great game is someone younger than you, and you haven't even figured out your own career yet.

• a little muffled

but im already an amazing programmer

• edited 2014-08-14 02:05:54

It's even more depressing when you realize that that amazing programmer on the localization team that brought you this really great game is someone younger than you, and you haven't even figured out your own career yet.

Pretty sure "kid mathematician" is far rarer than "programmer". Your example makes you sound like you're incapable of being impressed by something if it's not relevant to your nerdy interests.

Or something.

• http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/12/men-without-a-country-mike-brown-trayvon-martin-my-father-and-me.html

Not sure if this belongs in the U.S. Politics thread, but that article is just sad, particularly since I can relate to quite a bit of it. What disturbs me the most about the Michael Brown shooting is how casually a life can be tossed aside.

• edited 2014-08-14 09:35:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Naas_Human wrote:

Pretty sure "kid mathematician" is far rarer than "programmer". Your example makes you sound like you're incapable of being impressed by something if it's not relevant to your nerdy interests.

Or something.

whuh?

All I meant was that it was someone in a successful career role that I look up to turns out to be younger than me, while I'm still working on a graduate degree and haven't really gotten my career together yet.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Achievement Unlocked: Legal Drinking Age. Which would be relevant if I actually drank.

• edited 2014-08-14 10:48:33

Naas_Human wrote:

Or something.

whuh?

All I meant was that it was someone in a successful career role that I look up to turns out to be younger than me, while I'm still working on a graduate degree and haven't really gotten my career together yet.

Your wording (specifically the "even more" part) implies that one is more impressive than the other, but it sounded like you weren't really basing that (implied) comparison on which one is rarer or whatever. Maybe I misinterpreted your wording, but your post just made me think "oh of course GMH brings up that specific thing, how GMH of GMH to bring up "programmer on a localization team" as an example of somebody who has it together.

I realize this isn't something to actually be annoyed or offended by, but I feel the need to bring up how much of a negative surprise that was.