If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

How much do you guys hate me?

To rephrase that question; I've been thinking of forcing my way through E!'s latest reality series about a talent manager because I want to see what that would even be like. Would you guys like a liveblog? It would start with whatever episode they're on this week and if I'm lucky I'd cover the rest of the episodes later if they got repeated.

• How much do you guys hate me?

More than I can properly express. Isn't that what being friends means?

Would you guys like a liveblog?

Frankly, almost any new thread would be welcome.

• As much as I hate pests

I mean, I dunno about that E! thing so *shrug*

The show is called The Drama Queen, and there's not even the slightest chance that watching this will not physically hurt.

Okay.

As long as this doesn't ayu her career I'm fine with it.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I guess I just discovered how and what for trigger warning tags work. Three years and I still am reminded of this whole mess with lesswrong when folks mention rationality. Eugh.

No need to reply. I'm just ranting. 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

whatever happen with lesswrong anyways.

• Roko's Basilisk, pussyfooting around HBD, a clash with Atheism+(managed to make me choose for the feels side in a feels vs. logic clash, no small feat). 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

HBD? Sorry don't know that.

• Stands for Human Biodiversity, it's basically Bell Curve: Electric Boogaloo. Alt-right gives research the newspaper column treatment and looks for validation of their genetic determinism. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

A lot has been said about how power sources like solar and wind are intermittent, and in the absence of good and widely-deployed storage technology, it doesn't necessarily serve energy demands very well in terms of timing.

In trying to solve this mismatch, we should definitely be developing storage tech, but what can we do to change our demand to be more flexible or more closely match the timing of these sources?  Wind is kinda hard, but solar is much more predictable, and plentiful too...

...maybe I should stop staying up so late.

• If you're up at night, you'll definitely have less chance to directly solar energy :V

• A flexible demand generally isn't desirable, however. Turbine efficiency depends heavily on power output, meaning that the more constant demand is, the longer an electrical system can stay operating close to its point of maximum efficiency. So by staying up late and moving your demand from daynight to nightime you're helping the environment.

As for storage, I'm partial to hydroelectricity. Dams are cool :3

Turbine efficiency being a major factor seems to more an artefact of our existing electricity tech.  It's a big thing (as of right now and through the foreseeable future), obviously, though there's nothing saying it can't change.

There are definitely energy end-users that do need continuous availability of electrical power, though, such as hospitals.

^^ But because I would be more sleepier, I would have greater chance to accidentally verbs.

• The dependency of output in efficiency is born out of theoretical considerations, it'll be there regardless of technological advances (as long as we're talking about turbines, anyways).

• "feels vs. logic"

I find myself more on the side of emotions with time as I realize that most people who claim to be on the side of "logic" are using faulty versions of it. You can't tell me that men who get awfully butthurt over the slightest claim that they might have been dealt a better hand in life aren't emotionally motivated.

I get that the original purpose of being on the side of logic was not letting ignorance trump knowledge as the Asimov quote goes, but ignorance has co-opted "logic" as their own in the form of neoliberal economics and mansplaining.

• It's a false dichotomy anyway. In practice, it's only tone that differs. Teenager sarcasm versus passive-aggressive politeness. A bingo card with stock arguments/Derailing For Dummies is the equivalent of broadly swinging around a list of logical fallacies. Both sides accuse the other of agendaism, spend more time psychoanalyzing the debater than deconstructing the arguments and see it as an epic clash against a nebulous political cabal that is out to ruin life for them. Studies get thrown around of which the user has only read the abstract in the hopes to intimidate the opponent, then get dismissed in an instant due to small sample size/WEIRD factors/nitpicking the phrasing of a central question to somehow show that the entire methodology is flawed. Anonymous death threats get handed out like candy and provide a convenient excuse to never listen to any arguments again because "why are you not policing your own?".

It's a great way to pick out the sensible bits and carve out a solid own stance, though(since it's a batch of issues at work here, it's not really false equivalence, since which side you're on for any given topic varies wildly).

So a friend of mine collab'd with another friend of his to, together, pledge a large sum of money for a kickstarter, so they could take advantage of one of the higher-tier rewards.

That makes me wonder...has anyone ever done a kickstarter (officially or unofficially -- basically, crowdfunding) to pledge on a kickstarter?

• Sounds like a "yo dawg" joke.

• edited 2014-02-09 16:40:58
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know what, I've recently seen a research poster. I'm not sure if that's how it's called, the poster you make to present your research on a scientific conference or stuff. I saw it before, but only recently noticed that it's all in Kids. You know, the font. I wonder what'd you say about that, I remember some of you guys were pretty opinionated.

• a little muffled
    Have been informed that my laptop is beyond saving.

Oh boy.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I know that feel, bro. *nods*

• edited 2014-02-09 19:42:00
    a little muffled

Honestly I don't really miss the damn thing but I don't know what the hell to replace it with.

Also it'd been having trouble for months and I kept telling myself I'd back everything up into Dropbox but of course I never got to it...

And that's how I lost my entire collection of stupid pics (and other stupid stuff from the 'Net). Frankly, that's the thing I pitied most when my own went down.

• a little muffled
    Well as far as I know the hard drive is okay so I can probably recover stuff but blech.

@Nyktos: what has been happening to your computer?  has it been hanging out with rob ford?

• edited 2014-02-10 07:13:27
    a little muffled
    The fan's been having trouble, mostly. The reason I took it in was (seemingly) unrelated, namely that it stopped charging when plugged in.

probably because of all the crack it's been smoking
  • I understand how that feels, I have a laptop that has trouble charging, due to a damage dc jack, and my brother's laptop fan has died as well. I wish I could send you some of my good luck since both laptops are fixable with some replacement parts. 

• a little muffled

I'm quite likely going to build a desktop (+ buy a tablet maybe) to replace it instead of getting another laptop because seriously, fuck laptops. The only times I ever actually took it everywhere were when going on vacation and I think a tablet would serve my needs fine in that case.

So...anyone have any advice on building?

• Depends on what you plan on doing with it.