If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• We're humans though, if you have a different belief or skin color or sexuality there's someone out there that wants to oppress you.

Why, that could be the new campaign slogan for my new company "If you exist, then chances are we can find someone who wants to oppress you." A family company rest assured.

• You can change. You can.

Oh, it's one of those things where words don't mean what dictionaries say they mean...

Well, I mean, if minorities were based purely on population, then latin/african americans wouldn't really be minorities in America, for instance. 

• edited 2013-04-03 22:24:41

Well, yeah, but, words.

(Also, it took me a while to realize you used the name America to refer to the continent. Damn internet.)

• I'm a Deist. Is that a majority or a minority?

@Stormtroper: I know. English is just hilarious. Specially the jargon side of it.

We're humans though, if you have a different belief or skin color or sexuality there's someone out there that wants to oppress you.

Well, yes. The issue is that some of them actually get to do it to others. 

• edited 2013-04-03 23:22:39
    Belief

Well, yes. The issue is that some of them actually get to do it to others.

Unless I'm mistaken, Is it not political oppression to deny someone office because of their religious beliefs?

If so, then I'm sure Atheists have been oppressed in that manner with several political positions requiring "Religious Beliefs" to be part of your resume.

• edited 2013-04-03 23:30:32

I don't think atheists and agnostics have ever faced political and systematical oppression, though.

Well, there are Muslim countries where apostasy is illegal, although that's more for renouncing Islam than renouncing religion in general. But they can overlap.

But yeah, we weren't really talking about those kind of places.

If so, then I'm sure Atheists have been oppressed in that manner with several political positions requiring "Religious Beliefs" to be part of your resume.

Depends on the political position being discussed. Like, I wouldn't exactly say that atheists (Or Christians or jews) are being persecuted and oppressed for not being allowed to be popes, for instance. 

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

The only country I can think of with absolutely no freedom of religion is the tiny island nation of the Maldives, where all citizens are required by law to adhere to Islam.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

There is a kind of tacit refusal to elect an irreligious president in the US, partly because few non-believers pass the nomination process. Like the two-party system, it disappoints and angers me, but I cannot deny it.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I pity you. At least I can make a promise to myself that I'll never live in the United States...

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I have no desire for pity. I simply wish to see my country improve in my lifetime, and I think that I will, even if it is not to my satisfaction. But that is my duty as a patriot: To be perpetually unsatisfied with how far we have come and to keep moving forward.

• What makes one nation worth living above others? What makes one better than the other?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Its wealth of farmable land? Gold deposits? Cat population? Come on, dude, don't leave us hangin'. 

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

^^I think you missed JHM's point. He explicitly talks about civic patriotism, not nationalism - the attitude/desire to see one's community improved. Which, it's true, can only be done if you're aware of your community's shortcomings. "My country right or wrong" has nothing to do with real patriotism, that's just closing your eyes and humming really loudly, so you can feel great about that country no matter what. That's not patriotism but mental masturbation; emotional egoism.

On the other hand, no desire for pity? Pah :p Pity (empathy) is cool, and "Don't you dare pity me" has become so cliché...

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

It's perfectly fine and natural to feel a sentimental attachment towards your community. It becomes dangerous when you start considering yourself a member of the community you identify with before a human being.

I get a lot of shit for saying that I'm first of all an internationalist, and then a Serb. I mean, I love my country and I want the best for it - hell, I spent twenty years of my life here, but if achieving the best for it means stripping someone else of what they have, count me out.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ There is a subtle difference between pity and empathy. Pity, I feel, implies a degree of objectification that empathy does not, at least semantically speaking. I want to be seen as an equal in need of support, not a weak being in need of salvation.

Otherwise, yes, all of that.

^ Of course.

• edited 2013-04-04 06:37:48
    Diet NEET

^^What you should do is point out that a true Serb is an internationalist and then point to selective historical periods, figures and philosophical heritage to support your viewpoint. Whenever they disagree with you/denounce the importance of said parts of history, accuse them of being a morally bankrupt relativist for tearing down the Serbian canon.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Play their own game? Ha, I like doing that, it always works like a charm.

• edited 2013-04-04 09:39:15

I still like my country, even though sometimes it's hard to.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Hm, I'm actually quite surprised. I thought folks you'd argue with would be pretty much impervious to that.

In other news: have you heard of the Indian Rapegate? You know, they've had a series of scandalous rape cases, which caused quite a stir internally and even abroad. Seems like it won't stop for at least some time.

Just today I've read of a woman who burnt her rapist alive. According to her, the dude - a father of four and apparently the target of many molestation accusations - broke in drunk in the night, raped her, and fell asleep from all the alcohol and exercise. The woman doused herself in kerosene, but before setting herself on fire she figured she'd rather do that to him first. Then she went to the police station.

Makes me think of that Turkish "reverse honour killing" case, when a woman avenged her honour on her own, by ripping the head off her rapist.

• edited 2013-04-04 12:57:25
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

And for a doublepost:

Woman has over 10‰ blood alcohol content

Sobers, escapes from hospital

Meanwhile, in Poland. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

P.S. I feel even weirder saying that as a very white person. Realising that you are a minority is strange.

beingbi.txt

• No rainbow star
    Why is it that any attempt to make a competitor to TVTropes seems to fail?
  • But you never had any to begin with.

Because TVTropes already exists? Much like any attempt to form an all-purpose online retailer would likely fail, because Amazon et al. exist.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm kinda annoyed at that; it's like Facebook, Youtube, TV Tropes, are pretty much monopolies on the services they currently provide.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ The really ridiculous thing though is how even attempts to make an academic counter fail. They'd be catering to different crowds, yet the upstart STILL gets crushed

^ Which is also irritating. The internet is kind to monopolies, I guess
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Roger Ebert died.

I may not have agreed with him on a lot  of things, but damn does it feel like an era has passed by.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh wow. Yeah, seconding that, I guess.