If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• ^ sorry that i may been rude i've have phobia of bugs thats all.

No, I was making a comment on spiders with health bars and changed my mind only after I had posted.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know what, there was a thought on pacifism that I'd like to share here. It's my translation of my memory of what some guy said on a certain forum.

I hate American war movies with their anti-war message. It's always about men shipped to some faraway place to fight in wars they have no stake in. Well, they can afford it. It's not like they ever had war on their home turf, so it's easy for them to be pacifistic this way. Others didn't have that luxury.

Or something like that, assume any history errors are caused by clumsy translation. Anyway I wonder what'd you say about this point of view. It struck me as sounding like it can warrant a discussion, like, whether it's kinda legitimate, or silly entitlement.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think that person has a reasonable point, even if treating it as some huge moral failure on part of Americans is silly. Sometimes, anti-war sentiment expands to anything connected with war rather than just war itself; I remember the LotR films being criticised for being "pro-war", when it was more in line with what your acquaintance said -- it was about getting things done.

Which makes sense. Tolkien was a veteran of WWI and did some time in WWII. He knew what it was like to have his homeland directly threatened and that's reflected in his books and, likewise, in the film adaptations. I think that's pretty important from an Anglophonic Westerner perspective because WWII was the last time some of the powers of the West such as the USA, Britain, Australia and Canada were directly threatened by military invasion. The concept of defending one's land and way of life, come what may, is becoming vestigial in such places. 

Someone closer to the possibility of actual war is obliged to think, very carefully, about how they're going to handle the possibility. Indifference is fine for an American, British, whatever person who has never had to worry about the invasion of their land in their own lifetime, but I can see how that indifference may seem disrespectful to someone who has to worry about that kind of thing. 

On the other hand, I imagine you're translating from Polish, which suggests this person is in Poland. Which makes their stance here kind of silly, since Poland is pretty safe from the military incursions of foreign powers. 

• Kichigai birthday!!

It's been a while since I've posted one of these videos

• edited 2013-01-25 22:54:25
    a little muffled

@MadassAlex:

On the other hand, I imagine you're translating from Polish, which suggests this person is in Poland. Which makes their stance here kind of silly, since Poland is pretty safe from the military incursions of foreign powers.
    Relatively safe now maybe, but Poland has actually been invaded in living memory.

• edited 2013-01-25 23:10:24
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Not in a contemporary social, technological and economic context. And technically, if you want to count naval and airborne actions, the USA, Australia and Britain have been invaded as well within living memory.  

That's kind of besides the point, though. What I'm saying is that handling pacifism and military perspective is a matter of context. American films and whatnot have protagonists roped into wars they don't care about because the USA is an imperialist power that hasn't been on the defensive in all of the 20th or 21st centuries. The only way to handle that heroically is by denying the legitimacy of such wars. The context is different if one is fighting a war on their own soil, though. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

But invasions of the United States and Britain (not sure about Australia but I think it's similar) have been very minor, if any, thus far in modern history (like since the twentieth century).

As opposed to Poland getting completely screwed in the course of three wars--the two World Wars and the Cold War.

• ^^^^^^legionnaire oh ok then ingnore what  i said back then.

Trying to decide whether I should go to Katsucon.

Downsides

• $60 pre-registration fee

• transportation: 2 hours and $4.60, each way, or a hotel room with fellow club members at as-yet-undetermined price

• occurs the weekend following another weekend when I'll be busy

Upsides

• opportunity to find interesting random shit to buy

• Monica Rial (the voice of Lumière) will be there

• possibly-interesting panels

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Doooo it.

But only if you want to.

As opposed to Poland getting completely screwed in the course of three wars--the two World Wars and the Cold War.

To be absolutely fair, most of Europe, Africa and the Middle East have been hit just as hard in the same period of time. Yet perspectives on war and pacifism vary greatly. Not that I want to entirely invalidate the perspective of Gacek's friend, but as far as I can tell, Poland has a very strong quality of life and general security for a country that isn't part of The Most Glorious Western Europe (And Its Asshole Children).

Where's that article that found that Bing's userbase leans slightly conservative while Google's is slightly liberal?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

@lrdgck: The person who wrote that might have a point, but the point of the movies is not diminished by that. In fact, you definitely can have great anti-war movies coming even from countries that have experienced lots of wars in their history. Watch this, for example, you won't regret it.

...I just watched the intro of that, and for some reason I want to watch the rest of it now.

• edited 2013-01-26 04:23:19
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I showed it to some of the guys from BTL during one of our movie nights, and they really liked it. Go on, tell me about your impressions afterwards.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I feel the need to reconnect with the old tropers I actually got along with. I found Waltzy on tumblr today courtesy of Ossan.

also it's random lyrics time

bird call 

whoop

what happened to that boy?

he was talkin' real reckless had to murk that boy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-irrational-consumer-why-economics-is-dead-wrong-about-how-we-make-choices/267255/

Stated another way, transaction costs of acquiring and processing information mean that we must operate under heavy uncertainty in most of real life, and we do so by getting proxy information from sources like social connections and using estimation methods like hyperbolic discounting.

que

• edited 2013-01-26 05:59:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Okay, even more TLDR version:

1. It takes too much effort to think through complicated decisions thoroughly, so our human brains take shortcuts.

2. Those shortcuts mean that we sometimes don't make the best decisions.

No I was just wondering if that was like a response to somebody or what.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Newspaper: 

The person who engaged in an intercourse with a hen has been administered a conditional prison sentence and a fine.

In other news, thanks for the film.

• Champion of the Whales

Not in a contemporary social, technological and economic context. And technically, if you want to count naval and airborne actions, the USA, Australia and Britain have been invaded as well within living memory. 

So the USSR conquest of Poland was a cakewalk Alex?

That's not at all what I'm saying, and you're ignoring the context of the statement anyway. 

Here are two true statements:

1. Multiple nations have been invaded within living memory.

2. Within and between said nations, perspectives on war and pacifism are diverse.

If both statements are true, we can conclude that a nation being invaded within living memory is not the pivotal element of its perspective on war. That's evident logic. Gacek's friend has a valid perspective, but it doesn't invalidate other perspectives from a similar or even identical social context, and it certainly doesn't invalidate perspectives from a different social context -- such as that of a screenwriter in the USA. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Acquired the two seasons of Game of Thrones. Through perfectly legal means, of course.

To be honest that wasn't my friend but some guy on the Internet, but don't take it as any sort of expression of an opinion on its merits. What would be my opinion - when talking about technicalities, try not to cloud your judgment with them. The US might've been invaded if we count Pearl Harbor or dependencies in the Pacific, but that has to be separated from, like, an occupation of the homelands, if I'm clear.

Anyway, personally I have nothing of that sort against American war films, as long as they don't twist history too much. I am most fond of the old school, with lots of stock footage and friends from the military. You know, like Tora, Tora, Tora! and the sort.

I also just went back from TVT, where I catalogued all the varieties of 2010 Smolensk plane crash conspiracy theories.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

aaaaaaaaaaaargh. Full time jobs at a call center and engineer school don't mix. It sucks to be a wage slave.

• The shittest jobs are ones where you must associate with customers or clients.

That's why I loved nights at the gas station.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I speak english and the pay is too good to pass on, besides, my house's mortage is looming over me. I don't get a choice.