If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Would be freaking hilarious if you got a bunch of government IT people developing a videogame.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

IJBM: The first time I installed Human Revolution, it ran really smoothly, but this time around it seems to have a memory leak.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Would be freaking hilarious if you got a bunch of government IT people developing a videogame.

America's Army?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, those are army men.  Or maybe not.

I actually want to play that game, but my computer sucks.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Isn't the army supposed to be an extension of the government? I'd still classify soldiers as "government people".

• edited 2012-06-07 18:57:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I guess.  And I guess they would technically count as government IT people.

But probably not the people who host and maintain this: http://www.ri.gov/

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I tried America's Army. It's simultaneously interesting and boring. The most I got out of it was actually the tutorial stuff. 

• edited 2012-06-09 01:12:26
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Been watching my uncle play Battlefield 3 and it looks like a lot of fun, but I don't want to get an Origin account if I'm only gonna use it for one game. Any good alternatives you guys can think of? (Not COD. I hate the fandom too much.)
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Bought Dragon Age 2 yesterday. Been playing it. Just got through to the end of Act 1.

The setting and characters are as great as I remember them, but the plot is much more mish-mash than in the original. Which makes sense, given its' weird narrative nature, but still.

Much more focus is being put on the Mages versus Templar conflict this game round. I've seen a lot of Templar-ish Templars, and a lot of omnicidal/insane/possessed Mages. I've also seen some decent Templars who just want to limit the mages because they're dangerous, and some decent Mages who want to live their lives like normal people without abusing their magic.

If this game makes me choose, I'ma swing Mage-wise because Bethany, but I love how it's grey like that.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Just got into the Green Greens area in IWBTG.

Why ;_;

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Because IWBTG is not an actual game, and is simply an exercise in torture.

• Definitely not gay.

Playing wuss mode kind of defeats the purpose of playing IWBTG

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Marin is adorable.

Also, I think I stumbled upon the revelation that Koholint Island is a dream way earlier than I was supposed to.

Psp charger isn't working. It sometimes works, but I have to spend ages fiddling with it, leave it in the exact position it started working in, then pray it doesn't arbitrarily stop.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Dragon Age 2 has a weird narrative, and I don't like how it meshes the gameplay with the narrative sometimes.

I mean, in some cases, it's done really well. (Hello, Varric storming his brother's mansion single-handedly. You were pretty funny.)

But other times, it's done weirder. Like, I can just hear Varric telling the weird Chantry woman the story of the High Dragon fight- "So then we managed to hurt it, so it flew up to a rock and started shooting fireballs at us! And then twenty- no thirty dragonlings came out of nowhere! And then thirty more! And then it came back down and did it all again, until Hawke got fed up with it and stabbed it in the brain!"

The issue is, while the gameplay synchs quite well with the weird way the story's being told (with Varric relating the story as we play it), it's also annoying. I think that's what's up with the level designs, too- "And then we went into a cave and killed a million spiders, and then we went into another cave and killed a hundred million spiders." and he just can't be arsed describing all the different caves and buildings and cellars.

But it's just really annoying to actually see, even though it synchs well with that.

This is all assuming that was intentional, though. Bioware could just suck at level design, too. :V

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

At the moment, I'm replaying Tales of Phantasia, and I've made it further than I've ever gotten before by quite a margin. The earlier portions of a game were a huge nostalgia hit, but it's amazing how well the latter portions of the game are holding up as well. This is a game that knows how to create set pieces and how to support them  in the wider context. Even though the SNES is such a limited machine, the game can successfully convey the sense of impending assault on the city of Midgard. Obviously, there are some significant limitations, but it overall  captures the tension it needs to. 

It's also a game that really nails the feeling of escalation, as it gives you reason to revisit a bunch of old locations. During this time, the game compels you to compare your triumphs in previous regions to your adventures in most advanced locations. Pretty clever. I can see how this game ended up selling one million units worldwide back in the SNES era. It's pretty mindblowing given the limitations of the console, even given the things that are rough around the edges or just flat out awful, like some of the bit-part character dialogue. On the other hand, some of that dialogue is clever or funny; an elf running a shop asked me if I wanted my goods in "paper or plastic?", only to laugh and say, "Only joking! Us elves only use 100% eco-friendly recycled paper!". 

This is about as good as a game can be for a 1995 release, really. 

• edited 2012-06-10 10:44:28
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Are you playing the original version or the GBA remake/port? If it's the original, then that line you mentioned might have been a translator joke.

• edited 2012-06-10 10:59:47
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

SNES ROM, so it could have been.

On the other hand, "paper or plastic?" is a common query from shop owners from near the beginning of the game onward, so perhaps it's more literal than we think. There's also the fact that the Western release is a bit more sanitised than the Japanese. So on one hand you have creative fan translation running along the general lines of the original Japanese, and on the other you have the official translation, which altered some elements for a Western audience. 

So there is no perfect translation out there, really, for all of Tales of Phantasia's re-releases. Of which there are four or five,  I think. 

• edited 2012-06-10 14:43:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Just finished Hotel Dusk (which is more VN than game, but the thing I wanted to say about it relates to one of the puzzle sections, so I went with this thread).

It may be the only piece of DS software that can't be completed on an emulator.

Anyway, now I'm going to have to track down and import the sequel.
  • edited 2012-06-10 14:49:02

re:Hotel Dusk

Spoiler:
    The thing you're referring to involves touching multiple points on the screen at the same time, right (thus, not completable on an emulator since you only have one mouse cursor)?  I haven't played the game, but I think you or someone else mentioned that before.  Anyway... how well do they communicate that that's what you have to do?  Most people don't even know the DS is capable of that, after all, so nobody would even think of trying that...  (not sure if this was a spoiler, but I figured I'd err on the safe side)

Yeah, that's the one. It's the solution to a puzzle, so they don't tell you that you have to do it, but
    Spoiler:
    it involves turning on two switches that turn themselves on immediately, so trying it is fairly obvious after a moment.
  • edited 2012-06-10 18:19:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Restarted Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

DAMMIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SUCH A PERFECTIONIST?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Hey, at least you picked the easiest Fire Emblem game to be a perfectionist on.

Also, use the Trainees. They become godly. Every one of them.

Well, I didn't "pick" it so much as Nintendo happened to give it to me.

^He's more right than he knows...

Well, I got past the point where I was stuck the first time with very little difficulty, so that seems to be the case.

• I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with designing a game to be cinematic.

Still playing Kingdoms of Amalur.

I somehow accidentally ended up becoming Queen of the Court of Ballads. I just wanted to do some quick quests to earn enough money to buy this bow, too. :V