If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

On TOR, as this would fit best here.

Many things I have noticed about TOR is that it feels... unpolished. They have the game itself set out straight, and most of the core elements, but the finishing touches that usually makes Bioware's games so great are missing. (This is actually because EA pushed the game out early for a Christmas release, as far as I can tell, and the production of the game was rushed as a result, so they did not have time to iron out most of the small bugs.)

This is especially notable in the lack of end-game content, which is kind of necessary in an MMO due to its' open-ended nature and lack of a real ending to the game.

There are many things that I feel the game could stand to improve on. Specifically-

The combat in the game is kind of boring. This is not so much due to the way that combat is designed, but rather to the way the game caters to it. For the most part, enemies do not offer a challenge- which I personally like, but it gets annoying when they put you on the other side of a map and ask you to tear your way through several dozen weak enemies to get to where you need to go. After a while, you start to use just the same two or three strategies because you don't ever need anything else. It feels samey and repetetive.

The worlds are badly designed. Especially for an MMO, which should try to be as open as possible, they split the game up among a dozen or so worlds, and within each world, there are many phases which one cannot enter without the correct quest. The game would probably have done better to confine itself to three or four planets, and make them much more open. Similarly, the worlds are far too large, because most of the areas are designed for a specific quest, and once you have finished the quest, you never have reason to visit the zone again. There's a lot of empty space in the game that could have been put to better use.

The game doesn't feel very social. A lot of this is due to most of the servers having very low populations, but another part of it is that there is no real encouragement to form a sense of community outside of a guild. Especially due to the Companion system, it is literally possible to complete the game without ever interacting with other players.

The game has a lot of flaws, and they turn a lot of people off the game.

It does have good features, but it's late and I can't be arsed expanding on any of this any more.

• edited 2012-05-27 08:29:58
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Spoiler:
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that Mordin is smart enough to figure out that the distribution thingy is busted when you get there anyway. So if the dalatrass doesn't reach out, you might not have enough reason to stop him from fixing it.

• Is it a metroidvania?

Yeah, kind of.  Not so much in the sense of getting new abilities that let you move more freely and access more of the world, but there is nonlinear progression and gradually unlocking access to more parts of a (mostly-)connected world by beating bosses, plus the whole nonsense of not actually knowing where bonfires (basically checkpoints) are located and having to find them mostly by luck when exploring, a la Castlevania.

Combat tends to be more similar to older Castlevania (pre-Metroidvania) games though in terms of unforgivingness and having to basically memorize boss attack patterns and level layouts.

• Definitely not gay.

Speaking of Mass Effect...

Shadow Broker posted:

(Source: Shadow Broker files on Illusive Man)

Cigarettes smoked today: 4

Drinks consumed today: 7

Daily skyball score: 160/0 (fifth consecutive perfect game)

OK, so he has his vices and he likes skyball.

Suit Worn Today:

-Giuli Vorn

-Light linen blend, 2200 thread count

-Single-button closure, besom chest pocket, five interior pockets, four-button cuffs, side vents

-Built-in protection from close-range weapons fire

-Plum

'cos every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

Sexual liaisons (past week):

-Sani Shelani, Illium Entertainment's Sexiest Human Alive

-Brooke Karrigar, Skyball Champion

-Vela Vicious, Fornax Dream Girl 2185

-Staci and Stephi Strong, the "Terra Firma Twins"

-Matriarch Trellani (twice)

• But you never had any to begin with.

Doing a Four White Mages run of FFI (Dawn of Souls, Mod of Balance patch, simply because DoS is way too easy.) Unsurprisingly, it's slow going.

• Definitely not gay.

Holy balls I feel like writing Mass Effect/Metroid fanfic

just to see what Phazon-corrupted Harbinger would look like

• Champion of the Whales

It seems that 2K have shipped their XCOM game to development hell ever since Firaxis said they were going to make a TBS/RTS version.

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ What would be the 100% completion picture in that game? This one?

• Definitely not gay.

Three words: Zero Suit Shepard.

Yes, even Male Shepard.

• Kichigai birthday!!

So I've been listening to the Mario Galaxy soundtrack lately and holy hell is it good

• They're somethin' else.

@ Dark/Demon's Souls being Castlevania in 3D:

That explains why I love it so much.

And yeah, moreso the classic series than the metroidvanias.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Idunno, I'd say Dark Souls has a fair bit of Metroidvania in it.

• They're somethin' else.

Lets just say it's a perfect (SUBJECTIVITY WARNING) blend of both.

So, back to my reviewing plans. I need to figure out what to call the blog and what to review first. I know a lot of things I want to review, but first impressions are kinda important. Hmmm...

• You can change. You can.

"INUH Reviews Things!"

see, easy. 

i dunno i called my review blog "Colombia y el cine" if that's any help, but somehow i don't see you titling it in spanish.

I'm actually trying to stop using the name "INUH." Hence changing my name on Steam. I think I mentioned at one point that I'm probably going to change it here too at some point.

Anyway, I'll just be thinking about it. No rush or anything.

I was being facetious actually.

Yeah, I thought you were, but I kinda felt like mentioning that anyway.

Fair enough.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I just got to a certain point in Dragon's Dogma, but I can't describe it because that would ruin the impact. 

All I can say is that it has now struck Skyrim out of the park and punched Dark Souls in the gut. In essence, there's a beautiful return of SNES JRPG conventions with the freedom associated with WRPGs, all the while proving that Capcom still has teeth and the capacity to deliver a seriously oppressive experience. I cannot heap enough praise on what just happened, but I can't describe it either. But I feel as though Dragon's Dogma just threw down its gauntlet in mockery of both players and the RPG segment of the industry alike. 

Crimson thought my previous posts made Dragon's Dogma seem like the best thing to happen to RPGs in ages. That wasn't my intent at the time, but it certainly is now. I usually hate the "it gets better later" excuse, but this is a game that begins quite poorly and escalates in quality with progression, and quickly at that. It's not as polished or as solid in core gameplay as something like Demon's Souls, but that diminishes none of the impact of what the game throws at you and how it throws that at you. 

This still isn't a game for everyone, and its sales will be limited by the fact that it's a new IP and its failure to appeal to the most popular branches of the "hardcore gamer" demographic. This is undeserved; in a more meritocratic industry, Dragon's Dogma would be considered a piece of the future. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So far Mass Effect has been mostly silly but well realized action scenes with some surprisingly touching character moments.

It's good but nowhere near worth the huballoo over a new ending was worth.

You clearly haven't seen the ending yet.

Dude, the ending could pull out to show Bugs Bunny saying 'Ain't I a stinka?' over a drawing board and it still wouldn't be worth the huballoo.

I'm not commenting the ending wasn't that bad. I'm saying the reaction was that moronic.

• edited 2012-05-28 01:53:11
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'll agree that the reaction got blown out of proportion (the notion of "retaking" the series is absurd), but I'd say the ending you just described is significantly better than what actually happened (unless a certain theory with a lot of evidence behind it is true; if that's the case, the ending is merely nonexistent).

I guess I'm just biased because I was pissed at people thinking that creating and writing and designing a universe and story has the same creative validity as pushing the Renegade QTE button a few times.

Yeah, the reaction was way way way overblown. It's still the biggest last-five-minutes quality drop I've ever seen in a work. When the number of plot holes in a cutscene is several times the number of minutes in it, something has gone very wrong.

Also as I covered there was a pretty glaring plot hole pretty early on during the Tuchanka mission.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't see how that's a plot hole. It's a dumb decision, but doesn't contradict anything else within the series.

It also doesn't, you know, ruin all the themes within the game, so there's that too.

• edited 2012-05-28 02:19:58
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's a plot hole because Salarians are noted for intelligence and practicality and we're supposed to take the daltrass' statements as that (if terribly immoral)

If the game treated it as dumb then that wouldn't be so much of a problem. However it's treated as clever skullduggery on the part of the Salarians. Hence, plot hole.

Also the themes of Mass Effect pretty much equate to Commander Shephard is awesome. 

It's a plot hole because Salarians are noted for intelligence and practicality and we're supposed to take the daltrass' statements as that

That's true, but-

Also the themes of Mass Effect pretty much equate to Commander Shephard is awesome. 

ehhh I can't even be fucked doing this tonight.