If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Appeal to Worse has always been a really bad way of seeing these things. 

• Definitely not gay.

i just find this reaction a bit much is all

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I don't think the game is suddenly klan propaganda or anything. It's just that it felt like a lazy and stereotypical way to establish the character.

You're making it look as if we're losing our shit rather than just being mildly irritated at best. Although in my case, it's just jadedness.

• edited 2012-05-25 01:28:49
    They're somethin' else.

>Hispanics in video games

Ah, that reminds me, as funny as Elvis from God Hand is, he's meant to be Mexican, but he uses the word Coño, which is NOT a mexican cuss word.

Also, Resident Evil 4. Everything about it. Spaniards with TV Mexican accents, srsly Capcom?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Elvis is a bit more tongue-in-cheek though, which isn't exactly an excuse but it bothers me less when things are more over the top.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, went into EB Games today. Considered buying Dragon's Dogma.

> $89.71

haha no.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Speaking of which, it lacks quick travel. 

This is actually pretty awesome, since the overworld is dangerous in its own right. That means the first phase of every quest is getting where you need to be, and if you're too slow, night falls and it's a pretty big pain. Pretty much anything can happen while you're on your way somewhere -- I was attacked by a dragon, for instance -- thus using up some of your resources. Planning and kitting you and your main pawn out for the task at hand is pretty important. 

It's pretty cool watching your main pawn becoming more adept at dealing with situations. Eventually, Roy got it into his head that fire might be a good solution to goblins, and now he spams fire spells every time there's an engagement with them. Pretty neat. 

I only wish more skills and abilities carried over from class to class. The fighter and assassin use exactly the same primary weapons, so there's no reason my hard-earned fighter moves shouldn't transition straight over. All the same, your augmentations carry over everywhere, so using a diverse set of classes will net you a bunch of core stat bonuses and stuff. 

One of the game's major flaws is its lack of polish. I was expecting something a bit better of PS3 graphics, especially given that we're near the end of its lifespan, plus there's graphical glitches from time to time. You might end up wrestling with the camera, too, since it doesn't discriminate between "open space" and "a tree is here". The core experience is pretty great, though. Lots of content, even if a lot of it is a bit Byzantine to begin with. And as noted, the beginning of the game kind of sucks; it doesn't start "properly" until you get to the major city, at which point you gain access to the meat and bones of the game. 

• So I played the 360 version of Minecraft split-screen with my friends.  Amazingly, that almost made Minecraft feel like an enjoyable experience.  Only almost though.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

IJBM: I'm too much of a perfectionist to play Fire Emblem.

• edited 2012-05-25 12:27:48
    Silence is golden.

It's a little late for this but: IJBM: The phrase "Vidya Gaem".

cool peoples say "vidcon".

----

Say, why is this game supposed to be bad.

Inorite? A non-dying run is possible, though. It's just that it'll cost you your sanity.

Although I have accepted some losses, but it's more out of sheer impatience, really

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

What are you talking about? Perfect runs are the only way to play Fire Emblem.

• edited 2012-05-25 12:33:15
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Well, the problem is that I'm not good enough at the series to pull it off. So I always reach a point where I just wind up playing half of the same level over and over and over again.

^Same thing happens to me all the time. I guess I just have it in me to stick with it.

Generally, Fire Emblem games become easier over time as your units turn into total murder machines.

• edited 2012-05-25 12:47:51
    You can change. You can.

Man I'm still stuck on that saving the prince level simply because I can't accept the fact that some thieves are stealing everything wanna loot (the fuckers)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It once took me two or three days to get through one chapter.

The next chapter is the one where I finally just put down the game and haven't revisited it since.

• Finally finished Super Metroid!

• Kichigai birthday!!

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/25/new-sony-patent-is-for-a-method-to-interrupt-games-with-ads/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Well at least they didn't copy it from Nintendo this time

• edited 2012-05-25 16:39:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Systems like that have been being patented for years. It's unlikely to ever catch on, but because getting a patent in the US doesn't require you to actually do or make anything, (or anything at all, really; lots of things that aren't physically possible have been patented, and someone recently managed to get a patent for playing cards), a lot of companies patent stuff like that anyway just in case it ever happens and they can get some money out of it.

>Open Skyrim

>Load Save

>Crash to desktop

>Do this five more times

>Start new file

>Reach the Helgen Keep, and no objects except doors successfully load

>Fall to my death

ಠ_ಠ

• edited 2012-05-25 19:36:51
    If that don't work, use more gun.

YES!  YES!  YES!  I tried beating The Kid's Warp Zone in Super Meat Boy again, and I succeeded!  YES YES YES!  SUCK IT SMB!

Ah.  First level wasn't too bad.  Required a lot of skill, but I built up enough to get through it with ease.  2nd level, I had a little trouble on, then I finally figured out the timing to get through it properly.  Now I want to strangle whoever came up with the 3rd level!  Seriously, that level requires like perfect timing to get through.  And my game crashed the moment right before I hit Bandage Girl, so I had to go through that hellish nightmare twice.  Ugh, glad it's over with.

Now to go through the rest of the game.  I like the game a lot, but it's just so buggy, which is what made The Guy warp zone even harder than it should have been.

Thinking of picking up Xenoblade Chronicles.  I've heard good things about it, and I like JRPGs, so this might be worth my time.  Should I get it?

• Kichigai birthday!!

Now that you mentioned The Kid, I'd like to bring this medley to you guys' attentions, since it's pretty neat

• Got around to beating that Telethia in Xenoblade Chronicles. It was a total pain in the ass to beat, mostly because it regenerates health at a fast rate, becomes completely invincible at random moments until you cast a certain Monado skill, and it absorbs damage like nobody's business. Which makes its inevitable demise far more satisfying than it should be.

Still, I quite like the game so far.

Right, so Dragon's Dogma is pretty damn good. Partially because it eschews some modern game design conventions in favour of providing a less convenient experience, which really increases the discovery and preparation factors. 

By order of the Duke, I had to help some hirelings slay a griffon that had been terrorising the roads. I was wondering if this was going to be a mission; I had seen the griffon before, stealing cattle and attacking travellers. It even swooped me a few times and escaped before I could slay it. So it was game on, because I had witnessed the damage it could deal.

The hirelings led me to an attack site where we used a slain goblin as bait. We did a significant amount of damage to the griffon, but it fled to its roost outside my currently mapped region. It was going to be a pretty long journey, so I slept until the morning to make my passage to its roost easier. The northern track was uncharted after a point; I desperately pushed through a valley where the winds conspired to bar my entry, fought dozens of outlaws and slew a golem before finally reaching the griffon's lair. It was an abandoned fortress, and the hirelings that had helped me before were already there. The griffon had picked off a fair few of them, but there was nothing for it but to push on. 

It was at this point that I realised that I was severely understocked in healing items. The pressure was on, which wasn't helped by the griffon's harrying attacks as myself, my pawns and the hirelings desperately scrambled up the winding paths, bridges and stairs to the top of the tower. Halfway through, night fell and I lit my lantern. It prevented me from falling to my death, but did nothing to illuminate the griffon itself, which was nearly invisible in the night sky. At the top of the tower, the final showdown began. 

I leapt upon the griffon as soon as I could, sinking my sword into its flank. Roy was kind enough to lend me a fire enchantment at the time, increasing my damage but failing to set the thing on fire. It shook me off and took to the sky. No problem; my bow brought it back down, setting its wings alight. The battle was going well, but the nail in the griffon's coffin wasn't my doing. A scholar I had assisted before in a minor quest arrived with a magical tome I had acquired for him, and the griffon went up in a spout of flame. Even that wasn't enough to kill it, but it was too heavily ablaze to even consider flying. Grounded for good, there was nothing it could do, and my pawns and I finished it off after backing it towards a cliff. 

In review:

• Get quest to kill a griffon that has been terrorising the countryside. This gets a merit because I had seen the griffon beforehand and had failed to kill it.

• Bait it with a goblin near the capitol city, but it retreats before I can finish it. 

• Make a long journey through a valley of wind, an outlaw hideout and a golem before finally arriving at the griffon's stronghold. 

• Get harried on the way up its tower as night falls.

• Enter final battle with the monster, where a friend I had previously helped out came to my aid in the nick of time. 

That was just one damned quest. And it was brilliant. 

• No rainbow star

Madass: How accurate is this article on the game play design process?

I really want Dragon's Dogma.
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-25 22:06:43
    Gonna pass on Dragon's Dogma. Still does not sound or look interesting to me. Alex's walls of text on it aren't changing my mind. :/

Gonna pass on Dragon's Dogma. Still does not sound or look interesting to me. Alex's walls of text on it aren't changing my mind. :/

The lack of fast travel is also a deal breaker for me.