If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'll be sure to hold on to my ticket for the first Hobbit movie then. Clearly it will get me into the next two, because in reality they are all one movie.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Holy shit, Steam is getting a 100+ MB update.

• edited 2013-02-14 14:29:31
    But you never had any to begin with.

The developers of Black Mesa have explicitly said they will release Xen in an update that patches it in seamlessly. You wouldn't consider the Terraria 1.1 update a "new game", would you?

No, because it isn't really discrete from the original. I do consider Dragon Age: Awakening a separate game from Origins.

• But you never had any to begin with.

And Xen won't be discrete from the rest of Black Mesa once it's released.

Yes it will, at least in the same sense that Awakening is distinct from Origins.

At the very least, they're distinct in terms of devlopment, which is what we were talking about in the first place.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122139-11-Bit-Studios-Pioneers-the-Secret-Preorder

If you preorder this company's next game now, you get 50% off!

The catch: the game has not yet been announced.

No, really.

Please tell me people aren't actually taking this offer.

How much is the price after 50% off?

$7.49.

Apparently the game will be out in Q2 2013, which for a game that hasn't been announced yet from a company that doesn't even have a Wikipedia page is...suspicious, to me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122134-Microsoft-Believes-Most-Consumers-Wont-Hear-Sony-Announcement

Sony has an announcement to make, and Microsoft felt the need to belittle them, but they didn't have any content for their response, so they just pointed out that most consumers don't follow industry announcements, only caring about what's on shelves.

So...I guess Microsoft hasn't announced the next Xbox because they aren't going to. It will just be on store shelves one day.

Now I'm wondering what Microsoft thinks about E3.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Perfect occasion to get money from Nike
  • edited 2013-02-14 15:31:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't follow industry announcements; I follow company announcements from indie developers I care a lot about.  Such as Carpe Fulgur.

It helps that they're really down-to-earth and friendly about it, and feel like One Of Us.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122134-Microsoft-Believes-Most-Consumers-Wont-Hear-Sony-Announcement

Sony has an announcement to make, and Microsoft felt the need to belittle them, but they didn't have any content for their response, so they just pointed out that most consumers don't follow industry announcements, only caring about what's on shelves.

So...I guess Microsoft hasn't announced the next Xbox because they aren't going to. It will just be on store shelves one day.

Makes sense. The Xbox and its games don't actually turn a profit for Microsoft, but provide competition that prevent Sony from dominating their current demographics. So Microsoft criticising Sony without any content to back it up is pretty much in line with the overall business plan since before the Xbox was actually released.

• You can change. You can.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/02/14/the-walking-dead-fables-video-game-telltale-games-image-dc-comics-vertigo/

So, excited as all hell about a Walking Dead sequel, provided the sequel doesn't do something as uninteresting as continuing Clem's story.

Fables...less excited about it, but I also wasn't really excited about a Walking Dead game either and look where that went.

• edited 2013-02-14 17:45:26
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mario-and-luigi-dream-team-logo-630x354.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/02/donkeykongcountryreturns3d530.jpg

Yay.

• edited 2013-02-14 18:03:38
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

NEW MARIO AND LUIGI GAME

AlphaDream must make up for Intelligent Systems' sin.

Fucking Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Isn't DKCR3D just a straight port? Nothing much to get excited about.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2013-02-14 19:07:30

^It also doesn't have the one thing that held back the Wii version, which is waggle. Besides portability, that's one reason to get just a bit excited. Hopefully, there will be extra levels too.

Speaking of the 3DS, you should all go get Fire Emblem Awakening. Right now. If you don't find a copy, download it. 

• edited 2013-02-15 05:07:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I decided to hop on this "Four in February" thing that a regular at the Caves of Narshe introduced me to.  Basically, the idea is to finish four unfinished games in the month of February.

I picked out the following:

* Recettear (specifically, one-looping the game)

* Trauma

* Shaman King: Master of Spirits

and a fourth game yet to be determined.

I just finished Trauma.  You an read my post down here about it.

Speaking of the 3DS, you should all go get Fire Emblem Awakening. Right now. If you don't find a copy, download it.

Unfortunately, the 3DS has region locking.

On the note of Fire Emblem, I will forever hate Chapter 9A of The Sacred Stones. Amelia is suicidal, the villagers are too stupid to notice the approaching pirates and lock the damn gates, and it's really long. I can beat it, but not until I've died a bunch of times from stupid mistakes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846945411127887169/

The ACM thing gets weirder: people found settings to turn on some of the missing stuff from the demo (dynamic lighting, framerate improvements, etc.) in an ini file. Which leads to the question: if these features shipped in the final game, why weren't conventional means of turning them on included?

Of course, the gameplay and story will remain shit, but this is an unexpected twist in what was already a bizarre case study in game design failure.

http://www.livestream.com/unknownentity634

UE is streaming the final boss of Eryi's Action right now.

• It might be just me but tweaking an ini file falls under conventional means but ACM is still a mess.

Not really. It's something the majority of the userbase wouldn't know how to do, and given that it's the only means of accessing features that were advertised as being part of the game...

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-17 00:51:45

The thing about Colonial Marines is that you can't just blame it on being outsourced to too many studios resulting in a too many cooks scenario.

Rayman Origins went through just about every studio Ubisoft has, and it was fucking legendary.

On the note of Fire Emblem, I will forever hate Chapter 9A of The Sacred Stones. Amelia is suicidal, the villagers are too stupid to notice the approaching pirates and lock the damn gates, and it's really long. I can beat it, but not until I've died a bunch of times from stupid mistakes.

Bait Amelia with Gilliam (unarmed).  Within the next 6-7 chapters, she'll probably replace him.

Actually, baiting hostile recruits with an unarmed armor is pretty standard for the series.

Honestly, I'm blaming the fact that it was handled by Gearbox.

I mean, Borderlands is kind of okay from what I've played of it, but I was thinking about it, and while the engine is good, Borderlands is about the worst fully-functional game you could make with that core engine and mechanics. The guns feel great, the pacing of combat is great, but the missions are uninspired, the RPG elements and looting focus are just a timesink, and the story and characters thus far range from one-note to zero-note.

And the Borderlands games are Gearbox at its best. At its worst, it makes Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Bait Amelia with Gilliam (unarmed).  Within the next 6-7 chapters, she'll probably replace him.

And the other 50 soldiers?

• You can change. You can.

stab them

duh

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-17 01:29:41

Plow forward with a careful but aggressive leapfrog offense.  Move around the last couple enemies in each pack to land the killing blow from behind so it baits the next.  Don't be afraid to use healing items to keep pressure up if you can't get a healer to them without putting them in harm's way.

IIRC Eirika's path wasn't even that nasty about that.  Ephraim had some ugly racetrack missions, two of them were damn near impossible on Hard, and Lagdou is even worse (enjoy doing all that stuff when every other enemy has a killer/anti-something weapon).

Like, Lagdou 3 or something has all these rooms of these ridiculous promoted hellhounds and medusas locked off, and constantly spawns skeletons that rush to the doors to unlock them all at once so they charge down the map in one big mass and eat your face.  One of the later floors splits your army in three, and the outer two have to fight up racetracks on the sides to stop constant spawns that overwhelm the middle one in a big open indefensible area.  It's crazy shit.  And then most of the floors that aren't racetracks have to be treated like them anyway because thieves steal the chests and you don't break even on supplies unless you get most of it.