If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Anyway, going to start a new Skyrim character (again lol), using this... improved Skyrim Combat mod. PISE- Pluto's Improved Skyrim Experience.

With the combat apparently overhauled, I won't worry about underpowering myself, so... let's see how it goes!

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Trying to decide whether to do a Skyrim LP. Good idea, y/n?

• edited 2013-02-14 08:44:43

Ys Origin, Ys: the Oath in Felghana, Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale

I'd probably go with Reccetear, of those... but I'm not sure a game will ever be perceived as a romantic gift.

EDIT: OK, so "ever" is a strong word. I guess what I mean is that, as they are, and barring special circumstances, I don't think you could sell a game as a romantic gift.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Nonsense! Every girl loves Sven Bømwøllen!

• a little muffled
    @glennmagusharvey: Giana Sisters is on sale on Steam too; I got it that way.
  • edited 2013-02-14 10:28:53
    To be or not to be? That is the question.

@GMH: I'll go out a limb and say that I'll give Ys Origin for my Valentine... Or I can always give her System Shock 2, which is out on GOG.com.

One of the best survival horror games of all time, I might say. Everyone should go out and get it~

Also, Ys I & II are out on Steam~

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Props to someone offsite (but within the extended TVT metacommunity) for getting me the GOG version of Giana Sisters; I got him the Steam version in return since he also wanted it.

^ Unfortunately I am thoroughly unfamiliar with the System Shock series.  And my bank still thinks Cyprus is a massive scam.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

Cyprus?

GOG is based in Cyprus.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

Ah, thanks... Thought it was about a bank...

Also, I heard that System Shock 2 is coming to Steam as well, so be on the lookout.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

So, Brutal Legend is coming out on Steam. That's a pleasant surprise on an otherwise crappy day.

Hell yeah.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, the Aliens: Colonial Marines thing gets weirder when you realize that nobody can figure out who actually made the thing. It's marketed as made by Gearbox, but the opening stuff apparently describes it thus:

SEGA Presents

With 20th Century Fox

A Gearbox Software Production of

A Timegate Studios
    Demiurge Studios
    Nerve Software
    And Gearbox Software Game

SEGA is the publisher, 20th Century Fox the distributor, Gearbox the main developer and the other three studios are auxilliary developers.

At least, it appears to be the most logical to me.

Yeah, clearly, but even before the game came out, there were rumors that Gearbox was outsourcing it, and they themselves admitted that Timegate was making about a quarter of the game, so...basically, the division of labor for this game was pretty screwed-up, looks like.

Someone violated the rule of "If you want to get something done, do it yourself."

I think between this and Duke Nukem Forever, we can safely say that a game that's in development for more than a decade will generally suck. Especially if Gearbox is involved, apparently.

What about Starcraft II?

I really know nothing about RTS games. And I went out of my way to say "generally." >:/

• But you never had any to begin with.

Team Fortress 2. :P

Also The Nameless Mod. And Black Mesa.

• edited 2013-02-14 13:34:19
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>go out of your way to not say always so people won't post counterexamples
    >people do it anyway 

Also The Nameless Mod. And Black Mesa.

Were not in development for a decade.

FUCK STATISTICS, WE HAVE ANECDOTES

And TF2 wasn't in development for a decade either, now that I look it up.

And Starcraft 2 wasn't either.

:/

• You can change. You can.

in which CU is assaulted by wanna-be pedants

It appears that CU is fighting back, turning their weapon of choice against them.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's generally safe to assume that overly long development cycles will result in troubled games. A lot of things contribute to this, but I suspect the most major concerns are design focus and changing technology. If we take Aliens: Colonial Marines as an example, we can see that it passed through a number of developers during more than one technological gaming generation. 

Too many cooks and all that. And I don't think many people understand the precision required of the core game design process, either. No game development cycle is without its challenges, but ideally you start with a solid game design foundation which gets tweaked as the game gets developed. If the game takes too long to develop in relation to its core design, then a game can collect enough "tweaks" to make it very fundamentally different to the intention of the original product. 

Were not in development for a decade.

Black Mesa is still unfinished, and can safely be assumed to remain so for a while. I will give you TNM. And TF2 was in development even before it switched to GoldSrc in '98.

• edited 2013-02-14 14:17:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Black Mesa is still unfinished, and can safely be assumed to remain so for a while.

They split the project up into two games. The first of them is out. You wouldn't claim that Skyward Sword had a 26-year development cycle, would you?

The difference being that FFXIV is not a remake of a pre-existing game with the ending left off.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I doubt TF2 as we know it was in development for over ten years. What probably happened was a few instances of stop-and-start, with the project being largely scrapped a few times and Valve starting again.