If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'd read it.

I'd also recommend Middens, which started out as a Yume Nikki fangame on that very forum, but eventually became a wholly different beast, though still very surreal (there's way more dialog than there will ever be in any YN fangame, and the deuterogonist is a talking magnum). 

• edited 2012-10-26 15:37:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

"The single-player mechanic is a gimmick."

There is not enough laughter in the world to respond to this statement.

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ First I'll have to find a good game. This Me one is pretty good but I'm already halfway through so it wouldn't make sense to liveblog it

• Champion of the Whales

Are people actually bitching that the new XCOM replicates the worst part of the original?

Spoiler:
    I.e teammates panicking and shooting eachother

• edited 2012-10-26 17:47:12

[But the panic chain reactions were fun! Sort of.]

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Gonna have 50 bucks for gaems on Steam. What get?

• Definitely not gay.

• Fallout

• Portal 2

• Left 4 Dead

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• The Walking Dead

• Alan Wake

• Fallout games

I was thinking about Walking Dead, since you guys seem to enjoy it. Do I need to know the show or comic to enjoy?

Also Portal 2 and Fallout New Vegas have been on my list for a while. I'll probably get those.

• Definitely not gay.

What's so great about Walking Dead anyway?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Nah, it barely has anything to do with the show/comic.

Seconding that recommendation, as well as the Alan Wake one.

I keep hearing the name Alan Wake but I don't know enough about it. let me research.

> What's so great about Walking Dead anyway?

It does horror really well by forcing you to make difficult choices (not good or evil so much as varying flavors of bad results), often with very little time to do so.
  • Definitely not gay.

I see.

• edited 2012-10-26 21:31:49
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Do I need to know the show or comic to enjoy?

Not at all. The game takes place in the same world as the comics, and one or two characters show up, but you wouldn't be lost at all if you went in without prior knowledge.

What's so great about Walking Dead anyway?

A lot of reasons.  It's probably the best piece of zombie fiction I've ever seen.  I'm kind of tipsy so I'm not going to write a ton, but it's really well written, especially compared to the show.  It's actually pretty horrifying, and really emotional.

Also, they did the impossible and made the token kid who the protagonist has to protect the best character in the whole thing.

EDIT: There was a whole page that I didn't realize was there.  :l

• Yeah, I'm not too interested in zombie games, but I trust Telltale to write a good story.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> 50 bucks to spend on Steam

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams: $13.49

Moonbase Alpha: $0.00

Then save the rest for when the following games go on sale or in a bundle:

Ys: the Oath in Felghana

Ys Origin

Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale

Chantelise: a Tale of Two Sisters

Fortune Summoners

Fairy Bloom Freesia

Aquaria

Crayon Physics Deluxe

Saira

Terraria

I've kinda given up on Marathon Eternal.

The game's mostly alright as a game. That is, mechanically. The story however just....it reads like bad fanfiction, it really does. There's the generic villain OC, everyone being wildly out of character (Tycho as genuinely selfless, helpful, and un-rampant? Yeah, not buying it. I'm sure this is explained away at some point but I'm not sitting through 52 levels of this bullshit). The biggest crime of all is that the terminals are simply boring to read. Gone is the odd metaphors and weird tangentally related tales, it's all boring, dry exposition. And the attempts at making everyone out to be SUPER CHESSMASTERS is just blah.

I'm not sure why this is so highly regarded. It comes nowhere near the original trilogy in terms of quality. 

Also the upbeat dance-influenced electronica soundtrack is really dissonant to the mood of the game. 

• But you never had any to begin with.
    (Tycho as genuinely selfless, helpful, and un-rampant? Yeah, not buying it. I'm sure this is explained away at some point but I'm not sitting through 52 levels of this bullshit)

Tycho wasn't rampant until he was captured by the Pfhor.

• edited 2012-10-27 16:36:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

People talking about Marathon's story always kind of confused me.

I played Marathon once. Got like an hour in. Didn't encounter a story. I don't know if there was something that was failing to load or if I was playing a different game called Marathon or what, but I've always felt like I'm missing something.

Tycho wasn't rampant until he was captured by the Pfhor.

I suppose that's true.

It's still really, really weird seeing him all butlery.

Still, that's probably the least of my gripes with the mod. 

I played Marathon once. Got like an hour in. Didn't encounter a story. I don't know if there was something that was failing to load or if I was playing a different game called Marathon or what, but I've always felt like I'm missing something.

ProTip: you should read the terminals. 

Okay. I'll keep that in mind if I try it again.

I barely remember it, but I basically went in with no introduction and just sort of played for a bit then stopped.

• edited 2012-10-27 17:22:04
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Here's the story outline.

The full story is the equivalent of seven of your doctoral theses. 

I think I'm going to download the original trilogy and play some of that. Infinity is the best, if you want my opinion, but it's also impossible to blind jump into. 

• Okay, so I'm dicking around on Kongregate, and they just badged this

http://www.kongregate.com/games/turboNuke/american-racing

It's a pretty dull game, there's no way to improve your terrible maneuverability, and the camera is constantly spazzing out and pitching all over the place like it's having a seizure.  But the part that bugs me the most is that it's supposedly American stock car racing and all the fonts are decorated with 'MERICA flags and colors and stuff, but the tracks are all named ridiculously British things like Chesterfordshire.  Like seriously, about 3/4 of the track names end in "C(h)ester", "Ford", or "Shire", or "Ham".

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

For some reason, I was reminded of this game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/icecreambreakfst/racing-comrade

Play this shit, you won't regret it. It's an authentic piece of dada art, and hilarious as hell.

• Definitely not gay.

Hey

Ford and Ham are very american concepts

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-28 15:38:54

I did play that one.  It got old pretty fast, but it was funny.

I did love how you basically win the last race by STABBING EVERYONE ELSE TO DEATH.

• My friends are convincing me to go back to League Of Legends.

So, I have apparently gone completely insane and am considering buying a physical copy of Ultima 4 or 5.

Pros for 4: I like its feelies a good deal more.

Cons for 4: Will probably finish the game before it arrives; it costs $200.

Pros for 5: Would be able to use its reference materials while playing instead of loading tons of PDFs.

Cons for 5: I don't like its feelies quite as much.

Thoughts?
  • edited 2012-10-28 20:56:18
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Cons for 4: Will probably finish the game before it arrives; it costs $200.

$200

$200

$200

See a doctor.