If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

Castlevania Judgement, featuring Light Belmont and Misa Renard

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Castlevania Judgement: now featuring 16 minutes of Dracula insulting people, standaring around while they get beaten up, then insulting people again, rinse and repeat.  Bookended by some creepy dude. 

• So I spent some time playing Hearthstone, that WoW card game (before I quit due to realizing I was devoting too much time to something I wasn't having fun with). Two points:

• I'm not sure when sinking a hundred hours into a game before you can start having fun became a trend, but I don't like it.

• No proper chat and the have/have-not divide created by the first point make for a miserably awful playerbase. Yeah, this game actually made me miss online chat.

• I don't see your first point. Besides the tutorial and unlocking whatever class you feel like playing, you can already get into normal play; you'll get paired against players who don't have the basic stuff either. If at that point you weren't having fun with the game, you weren't going to have fun at any other point.

• edited 2014-09-16 00:16:15

you'll get paired against players who don't have the basic stuff either.

In theory. In practice, you get outmatched by people with access to complete decks quite quickly, and grinding for gold and dust to get the cards you need is very slow.

Then again, it's my first time trying an online Blizzard game, and maybe I'm not cut out for it. After a few months, I already feel like a recovering addict. I'm reminded of Egoraptor's Castlevania II Sequelitis video and how he mentions the game manipulating you into thinking you are accomplishing more than you actually are.

• *shrug* Maybe me/my friends got lucky with our pairings?

Though come to think of it, Naxxramas is expensive and it includes a lot of what might be considered basic.

I was enjoying Don't Touch The White Tile until I realized you can use earned credits to continue with no score penalty. 

Welp.

I've got an extra Steam key for Warlock: Master of the Arcane, if anyone wants it.  It seems I accidentally claimed too many of them from the Humble Store during their end-of-summer promotion (specifically the one a week ago).

• I've got an extra Steam key for Warlock: Master of the Arcane, if anyone wants it.  It seems I accidentally claimed too many of them from the Humble Store during their end-of-summer promotion (specifically the one a week ago).

I'll take it!

• Silence is golden.

• What do you guys think of alpha release games, ie the kind of games released on steam and similar platforms but haven't made it to the playtest stage?

• edited 2015-10-09 07:12:43

[user deleted]

• Kraken wrote:

It's not done. If it's not done I'm not buying it, touching it, or considering it worth my time.

This

Also my opinion on kickstarters.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:12:36

[user deleted]

• Alpha release is bad.  You're supposed to pay people to test your shit, not the other way around.

• edited 2014-09-20 20:53:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think I have or have had a couple of Early Access games on Steam, but I paid for none of them.

I wouldn't pay for them myself.  Unless they're really, really, really good and/or interesting.  By that, I mean something I feel clear and compelling reason to support.  In which case I treat it like an investment -- it might not pan out to become my new favorite game ever, but the reasons for supporting it are enough to trump that.

Basically that's the same approach I have with kickstarters.  Because if I backed every project out there that looked interesting, at a funding level I would feel comfortable with the returns on, I wouldn't have money to feed myself.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-20 22:56:46

Kickstarters at least have the advantage of cutting out most of the fat that goes into developing a game.  It's a bit of a gamble, but circumventing the many strangleholds on the process and putting the proceeds into the artists' hands instead of a bloated marketing department and publisher is often worth the risk.

I totally would (and do) play open alphas and such.  I'll help you test things and give feedback on my own time without being paid for it -- I just think reversing the process entirely and charging people to play your unfinished stuff is really fucked up.

A new Another Metroid 2 Remake demo has been released.

(h/t to Imipolex G on HH)

• Anyone know of good first-person adventure games, preferably with no or de-emphasized combat? I am aware that Myst is arguably the title most think of when they hear about the genre.

As asides, I remember how new and exciting Myst was when it first came out. Sadly, I never got to play it, but I'd like to at some point.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-21 18:52:46

Kairo?

Also, Myst and Riven are on Steam.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There was some French company that did that kind of games... damn me if I remember the name. All of them historical or para-historical. Versailles, Tenochtitlan and so on.

The Journeyman Project.

• edited 2014-09-28 07:21:19

Something I want to do, but am kinda afraid of doing because I might get shouted down by criticisms and unserious replies, is make a thread (or at least a topic) posing this question: what would the videogame industry look like if all consumers behaved like me?

I mean this as a serious question.  Not just "we'd still be playing 2D games" and then that's it.  I mean things about spending patterns, information awareness patterns, genre preferences, everything.  I want to put ALL the assumptions on the table, nonjudgementally, and come up with some sort of reasonably complex conceptual model of how the industry works, and run the assumptions through that.

I think this would be a really interesting intellectual exercise.

And before someone says that "why do you keep on talking about yourself all the time", well...I'd like to do this for EVERYONE, actually.  Because I really am genuinely curious.

• I think that's an interesting subject, and I'd actively try to participate in it.

I'm still going to make a comment regarding you always talking about yourself, though.

• edited 2014-09-29 00:49:25

Would be an interesting topic to analyse.

Anyway, just beat Death from NES Castlevania (without Holy Water spam). Caused me more trouble than the rest of the game combined (though getting to Death with health intact was a slog too). Apparently, from what I've seen, this is his deadliest incarnation too (correct me if I'm wrong), and his later, more complex fights are nowhere near as difficult.

• edited 2014-09-29 04:20:04

Metacritic lacks an entry for the Genesis version of Gunstar Heroes.  what

Well I guess it predates Metacritic by a bit too much...

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

So Inaris: the Cloud Temple is an interesting first-person puzzle game. Free to download, too.

Why do people pay $30, $60, even $100 for virtual weapons in CS:GO?

• edited 2014-09-30 17:52:31

There's a certain charm to seemingly arbitrary bosses appearing in a late-game or final dungeon.

Especially when the boss DOESN'T fit the theme of the dungeon.  If done right, it may suggest that there's more meaning to the boss than is readily apparent.  As in, if you don't dismiss the boss as just a "giant space flea from nowhere" and start to ask why that boss might be doing there.  (Same goes with strange regular enemies, but bosses tend to make more of a memorable impact, hence my citing them.)

What meaning there is is left to the player to decide/discern.

I like it when that happens.