If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-05-24 00:33:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^True, but still...not exactly very good, and they don't even seem to be aware that case sensitivity increases security.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

God why am I playing Silent Hill alone at night?

Why do I hate myself?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

True, but still...not exactly very good, and they don't even seem to be aware that case sensitivity increases security.

I'm pretty sure keyloggers are a far bigger threat to WoW's passwords than brute-force hackers ever will be, and having capital letters in your password won't count for jack with them.

It's certainly not a good thing, but I don't think it's a huge issue, either.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No argument here, but the way they responded to it pretty much screams "willful ignorance."

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

God why am I playing Silent Hill alone at night?

Because you hate yourse--

Why do I hate myself?

See? You do know the answer!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Seriously every time I play this game it freaks the shit out of me like nothing else has. Especially the noises, oi.

• You can change. You can.

There's nothing not glorious about playing Silent Hill at night, you buncha fools and wusses

• As I understand it, if a password isn't case sensitive (which is bad security in and of itself), it's almost certainly plaintext.

They probably just convert it to lowercase before taking the md5 hash of it (or whatever kind of hash they use).

• edited 2012-05-24 09:00:54

Also keep in mind that Blizzard fully encourages the use of relatively cheap authenticators, which adds a layer of security that's not easy (though not impossible) to bypass with keylogger or brute force methods.

Their password security may not be the best by a long shot, but it's a far cry from the worst.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What's an authenticator?  Is it anything like Steam Guard?

...what is Steam Guard, anyway?  Seems like all it does is tie your Steam account to one computer so that if you sign in on another one they'll re-ask you for your security questions.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It's a little keychain thing or a free app for a smartphone that you link to your account. It generates a new key every thirty seconds or so that you have to enter when you want to log in.
  • Qurupeco is dead.

Royal Ludroth is next on my hitlist.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh hey, my copy of Star Fox 64 3D arrived.
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-24 15:27:24

Ah, pretty cool. I'm playing the VC version right now. Heading to Titania because it's the only stage I didn't go to yet. And I need to relax after Sector Z.

EDIT: Ooooh, surprise Medal on Bolse. :D

• Deciding I wasn't satisfied with killing just the Qurupeco, I went and killed Draygon and Ridley. The latter of which is gonna find a way to come back.

Beat Arkham City. Loved the ending, but the sudden switch to Catwoman for another mission after the end was rather jarring.

• edited 2012-05-24 18:54:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I still need to finish that one. Got pretty far, I think.
  • edited 2012-05-24 19:02:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^You should. The ending is the best part.

So, apparently the Australian overpriced videogames thing has gotten so bad that their government is considering taking action to prevent price-gouging.

Last year:

The Australian government, enemy of all gaem.

This year:

The Australian government, inclusive of the R18+ rating and defending the wallets of gamers.

Perhaps they're just tsundere for gaming?

• edited 2012-05-24 19:31:08
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's a little late for this but:

IJBM: The phrase "Vidya Gaem".

^^Wasn't there that one politician that no longer holds office? Could it be that he was actually the only reason that Australia was so anti-gaem?

I do feel like I remember something about how the R18 thing needed to be unanimous and that one guy kept voting no.

I could be misremembering.

Both are correct, although he hasn't been the only opposition to game-related stuff in Australia. The most major political barrier, but Australia's never been that game-happy for reasons both technological, social and economic. The Australian game industry is kind of plodding along, for instance, but the whole L.A. Noire thing was a pretty major blow to the confidence of Australian studios in overseas publishers, and we continue to have a lot of issues concerning pricing, internet connectivity and other stuff. 

Basically, most games are made in context of US or Japanese technological and fiscal conditions, which makes even a solid, trustworthy, contributory service like Steam frustrating. For instance, Australia doesn't have many unlimited internet plans in the same way the USA does, so we're a lot more limited in terms of download capacity. That means that DLC is prohibitive to us, as are large updates and that kind of thing. 

Guys like Michael Atkinson (who you mentioned) are a massive pain, but so is our remoteness and the pedestrian pace at which the Australian government embraces new technology. It's great that these things are being addressed, but they're about six or seven years overdue. 

• edited 2012-05-24 21:25:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sounds like you ought to become the retro gaming capital of the world, what with the limited bandwidth.

@ Lai: Who is Qurupeco?

• A monster from Monster Hunter Tri. Likes to call other monsters.
  • edited 2012-05-24 21:50:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...oh.  I thought it was an alternate name for one of the Metroid creatures.

Y'know, like, how in Metroid Fusion, you have

* Serris/Ishtar

* Yakuza/Gedo/"Spider Boss" (but NOT "Arachnus", despite looking like an arachnid)

* "Giant Choot"/Zazabi

* "Fake Statue"/"Growth Core"

* Arachnus/Mulcalah

• Definitely not gay.

I always found the part where Yakuza gets reduced to a head and bounces around kinda funny.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It is.

• I am remind that boss still gives me trouble.
  • Definitely not gay.

Speaking of Metroid Fusion

where do you find Boxbot?