If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who think TV Tropes is composed entirely of perverts

Comments

• No rainbow star
    ^ You wanna be fucked? :D?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    No I named it Broadband.
  • Juan_Carlos,
    Like everything else, it depends on how they behave about it. I think a problem is that some people equate lack of sexuality with intelligence or superior-ness. I saw a rather infamous thread, by now, where a user claimed that he was feeling sexual urges for the first time
    in 22 years and that he was turning into a barbarian.

This is annoying.

However, there are quite a few self-proclaimed asexuals in both here and there
    who are actually hyposexuals, demisexuals etc etc who use the term asexual either due to ignorance or simplicity's sake.

I can't honestly get mad at them.

There is not much more that I can add to that, since I think you summed it up nicely. Just like I imagine that people find it annoying for others to speculate about them and either say that they are actually gay or cannot really be gay/bisexual/etc., I prefer to let people define their own sexual orientations. I think being prideful about stuff is just a bad idea in general though.

As for the topic at hand, I feel like a lot of has to do with subjective perceptions. I mean, some forums really discourage talking about sexual stuff or outright ban it. Compared to them, TV Tropes does seem at least somewhat open on the subject. On the other hand, some forums do not limit that kind of discussion much at all so in comparison to them, TV Tropes might seem unfairly restrictive.

Honestly, I think the stuff on the wiki about people gushing about characters being attractive is more annoying than most anything I have seen in the forums themselves, especially when said gushing seems to assume that it is an obvious fact and nearly everyone must agree.

• Just a quick thing...thanks Juan, that's about accurate. You don't have to say that again. :P

And to keep this post relevant, I will say again: If I did a word-association thing ("I'm going to say a word, say what comes to mind immediately.")  or something with my friends here at school and had some sort of reset button for real life, and kept saying "TV Tropes" and hitting that reset button, it would take a great many tries before anyone said "Perverts" or anything like that.

It's easy to become very focused on peoples' criticisms of us, but remember that for all we know, the majority of "Tropers" are the ones who we never hear from and who have never seen any of our shameful material either. Or have seen it but skated right by it due to lack of context.

If SA and the makers of This Troper think they're scaring lots of ordinary people away from us, they're mostly incorrect.
  • And y'know, I think that may be part of the problem. Most people will think you're weird or creepy for thinking a cartoon character is attractive or that you want to       $RANDOM_CUTE_STARLET, and it seems like the people who do won't shut up about it. Witness the people who keep adding creepy stalker comments to the actress pages on the WIki, for one. Or the couple of hangers-on in Image Pickin that get all butthurt when people say that no, the cutesy anime girl with the perky boobs isn't appropriate for that page, sorry.

It's all about maturity, I think. Maturity means knowing the right place and time to say things, and since Most Tropers Are Young Nerds, tact isn't exactly their strong suit, and indeed, they may feel put upon for not having an outlet for this sort of thing (which is why the mods put up with Fetishes). 

Also, yeah, Ten needs to tone down the whole sassy Gay Best Friend thing. He's beginning to sound like a preference-flipped Kino. :P
  • You can change. You can.
    @Evergreen: I'd argue that that's mostly anecdotical evidence, but I'd also say that very few people are aware of SA and This Troper. Relatively speaking, of course.

And even fewer agree with them. 

The thing is, it's not as SA and This Troper are exactly slandering or making us look bad without any evidence, are they? They do have some evidence with them and it is indeed damning in some cases (And in a roundabout way, they ended up helping our cause to delete TT even though they didn't want to, because hey provided almost all of the evidence we needed)
  • I don't think they have a huge effect, but every time I see them get linked to on a different forum, most people seem to be like "Wow, I like that site, but if that's how tropers act, I don't think I want to be associated with it anymore".
  • He's beginning to sound like a preference-flipped Kino. :P

And yet no one complains about Kino.
  • Where have you been?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Indeed, a lot of people hate Kino. They just won't say it to his face, because personal attacks and all.
  • edited 2011-10-03 21:56:19
    Disregard, I suck cocks.
  • Clearly not in the same places everyone else has. /out of the loop.
  • edited 2011-10-03 22:16:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    You know what? The last thing this thread needs to be is bitching about tropers we don't like.

That said, I think TVT is mostly okay if weird people. It's just some bad apples spoiling the bunch.
    Clearly not in the same places everyone else has. /out of the loop.

As if you didn't know about #yackfest by now...
  • Don't go on there much, to be honest.
  • I keep wanting to go on there, but the place intimidates me for some reason.
    Don't go on there much, to be honest.

Regardless of that, you still know that we spend most of our time bitching about users, so it's not like you'd be ignorant of the fact that there are people who hate X user.
  • Fucking X user.

Hate her!
  • I know they bitch about other users, was just unaware of Kino being one of them.
  • edited 2011-10-03 22:51:43
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Now you know.
  • >And then AHR got paranoid that they all call her a bitch behind her back.
  • I think I convinced some hobo orphans in Wisconsin that you were a bitch AHR...

I didn't even need to tell them the stuff you wrote, I just told them you read EGS..

:3
  • I almost wish I knew what they say when they bitch about me.

That way I would know which annoying things to stop doing.
  • ...How exactly can they bitch about users and not get banned for personal attacks?
    ...How exactly can they bitch about users and not get banned for personal attacks?

Because #yackfest is not a TvT based channel. It's just a channel made by tropers. There's a difference.

Ponicalica, Noimporta, Anemotaxis, Mapi, GMH, Iverum and Zeroplusalpha mod it.

@CentralAvenue: We hardly bitch about you.

• Do you bitch about me?

Nope. You're barely mentioned at all. You are not a sexist fucktard, or a racist shithead, so.
  • @CentralAvenue: We hardly bitch about you.
    But what do you say when you do?

(I should probably shut up now)