If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Neon Genesis Evangelion

edited 2011-05-25 19:22:16 in Media
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
People have been talking about it all day. Even YOU guys, even though that is generally okay since that's what you guys like. But yeah, suddenly people talking about NGE IRL is really weird.

I have the day off. Is this some kind of divine or infernal message to beckon me into watching it?

Comments

• Yes, Vorpy. It is.

Join us...

• edited 2011-05-25 19:25:42
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I recommend neither watching it nor not watching it.  You decide for yourself.

The plot is basically about a boy.  Who is faced with the prospect of growing up saving the world because he just has to.  He's not keen on it.  On the way, he is faced with the prospect of growing up meets various...ahem, interesting characters with various...ahem, interesting backstories.  And he doesn't want to grow up but circumstances metaphorically force him to the brink interacts with them, and lulz doesn't ensue.

Setting details, symbolism, and even plot details have been debated for YEARS.  There have been flame wars, thesis-length essays, and even death threats over these topics.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh, also, AWESOME soundtrack by Shiro Sagisu.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    "lulz doesn't ensue" is probably the most accurate description of NGE I've ever heard.
  • You can change. You can.
    I actually kinda lol...>_>
  • IJBM: it's become fashionable of late to hate NGE out of principle. And I'm not normally one to say stuff like that, either.

(Not referring to anyone here)

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Personally, I love NGE.
  • I kinda want to watch it, if only because everyone else has watched it, and being familiar with it would probably be helpful in discussions about anime.  So... I'll probably get around to it sometime this summer, I guess.
    I once really loved NGE.

Now I'm meh to it.  It's an interesting show.  it's got its flaws, including a ton of backstory and plot holes, which contribute to its ability to be discussed endlessly.
  • You know i've been meaning to watch it but havn't gotton around ot it.
    OK. Juan's review of the show...Eh, I'll just link you to it.

...I just noticed how much my opinion of the show has changed over time.
  • edited 2011-05-25 19:35:43
    a little muffled
    I feel like I should watch it sometime because it's so acclaimed and because it's an influential example of a genre I like, but I don't like depressing fiction in general so it'll be a while.
    Personally, I wasn't really depressed by it. Not even know that I appreciate in an emotional level...which I didn't at first.

That said, I can see how it can be emotionally touching. Especially as many characters are easy to emphatize with. I didn't though, but that's because it's kinda hard for me to emphatize with drawings. :P
    I sympathized with Asuka and (by the end) Misato and empathized with Shinji.
    I kinda felt bad for Gendo. 

And Noimporta: We all know you love Rahxephon already. Just pimp it and go.
  • edited 2011-05-25 19:48:57
    Well, this a thread about NGE. There's no point in derailing it.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Its an alright show, but in my mind, it's considered "incomplete".
    I'm kidding. don't think much of it
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I am going to watch it then, and I shall post my reactions as it comes along here.
    Awesome sauce.
    I am transferring my NGE discs my friend ripped for me to the comp so it doesn't skip on me

or make that HUMMING noise
    1 Hour remaining before all of the disc images migrate to my computer.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    SHINJIDIES
  • They're somethin' else.
    SHINJI IS RIDING HIS MOTHER. HOLY FUCKING FREUD.
    Dudes...not cool. I want to see her brain fucked. Why can't you give me that?

Well, that was good while it lasted. 55 more minutes until the download completes, and I already know the main character dies.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Actually, he doesn't really die. So don't worry about that.

For certain terms of "die", anyway...
  • edited 2011-05-25 21:15:47
    You can change. You can.
    Ninja'd-

but yeah, spoilering...not cool.

Hmmm, BRB making a thread.
  • a little muffled
    Isn't he like the only person in the world who doesn't die?