If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

List of long-time Tropers who have bitten the dust

Comments

• Huh.

Great, now I feel like I missed out on something awesome.
  • Actually, it was pretty lame. All I can clearly remember was posting a lame autorant.
  • That got deleted. It was called "That IJBM ever existed".

That thread Tzetze made called "?" got nuked too, unfortunately.
  • edited 2011-01-17 06:22:31
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    "I grew a huger dick and fucked the forum in the ass with it, is what. :P

Actually,
    FE interpreted statements I made that i thought were
    silly/humorous/facetious, and he didn't agree."

If these statements were as lame as the one above, then I can understand this very well.
  • edited 2011-01-18 01:35:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ hahahaha, new!Mari pwned by original!Mari.

"The only mods I haven't been warned by was Bobby G, monkeyguy,
    (ironeye?), solstace and Glenn Magus Harvey. Morven and Madru did back
    when I was Tnophelia."

I'm not a mod.

Not there, at least.  If you're talking here, then you should include Longfellow.

Also, I see this is now the TV Tropes Lore and History thread.

Well, I'll tell the #tropers-on-slashnet story.

Long, long ago, on an IRC network far, far away, BonSequitur was allegedly the founder of #tropers, on a network whose name I don't know.  Allegedly, said network became unstable, plagued with netsplits, so an acquaintance named Domus offered to host them on Slashnet, or something like that.  They moved to Slashnet, with Domus as the head admin, and other staples of the #tropers community, such as Bon, Roland, Skellie, and others, were ops.  However, one other person also became op, which was Sarge.  Sarge was notorious for treating the channel as his personal playpen, kicking and banning to amuse himself.  His behavior was tolerated mostly because he was a personal friend of Domus.  On the receiving end of crap were various users, including Roland, who bounced between regular user, half-op, and op partly due to this.  No one else liked Sarge, of course, and the drama only increased when Domus made Sarge an admin.  Amidst a bunch of drama, including some insanity involving the triumphant return of a self-described 19-year-old loli, several things happened:
    * I founded #tvtropes on slashnet.  This became a resistance modcave of sorts.
    * Bon, Skellie, Roland, myself, and a few others helped plan a move to another network, restoring Bon as the head admin of the channel.  Bon chose Espernet.
    * I realized that I could have created Espernet's #tropers myself rather than letting Bon do it, and thus installed myself as the head admin and given myself a lot more power back then.  Though it's probably a good thing I didn't--the #tropers crowd isn't my style, and also, I was already spending way too much time on IRC.

And so that's why Bon is head admin on Espernet.

After the move to Espernet, crazes among #tropers people to talk about such things as fetishes, sexuality, and Touhou caused the creation of such alternative channels as #fetishfuel (formerly known as #tropers-18+), #tropers-touhou, #gender, and #teentropers.

One day, Anemotaxis, a.k.a. IllFlower (a.k.a. VerticalPig a.k.a. a fan of Future Sound of London), who was a #tropers regular (though the place had since died down and wasn't much of a fount of conversation anymore, if I recall correctly), decided to create a channel for forumites.  He called this #yackfest, and installed Ponicalica, Iverum, and me as ops.  (We later added zeroplusalpha and Mapi to the team.)

The creation of #yackfest temporarily caused a small amount of drama, partly related to the fact that DLC was a common topic of conversation back then and partly out of a rivalry with #tropers--whose jaded, but frequently quiet, users generally regarded the forum as a bunch of idiots with possible hugbox implications (this was the case for a long time, since the Slashnet days if not before then, and also tells you that they weren't the most amiable people around), and were probably also jealous that #yackfest got far more conversation.  After a while, some #tropers regulars became #yackfest regulars (not just lurkers, even), and #yackfest has grown into a combination of forum backroom and independent community.

So that's where we are now.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    >I'm not a mod.

Yes you are, but only for Team Duck Soup.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Fine.  I'm a lesser mod.  Or a partial mod.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Why did I read Glenn's entire post?
  • edited 2011-01-17 13:26:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Incidentally, I noticed that for Friday and Saturday, as I was editing people's posts, I could do that but I also got a funny "error message" saying that it's good that the forum now knows that I like to edit people's posts.  That message was removed on Sunday.  Perhaps it's like a "this incident will be logged" thing, and Fast Eddie realized it was a problem?

^ Because interesting story?
    Weird.  I've never gotten that.

I read the whole post as well.  I notice you confirmed my suspicions about how #tropers users regard us forumites.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    "^ Because interesting story?"

I guess, but ew chatrooms.
  • @Nyarly: Hey, I can only get better from here! I was trying to emulate the sort of trollish statement FE thinks I'm only capable of making.

Actually, I think an autorant would fall even lower on the cleverness scale than swearing for the sake of it.
  • Silence is golden.

"He called this #yackfest, and installed Ponicalica, Iverum, and me as ops.  (We later added Mapi to the team.)"

You forgot zeroplusalpha.

• edited 2011-01-17 20:28:50
    Loser
    MyFireworksDoesYours,
    I guess, but ew chatrooms.
    Yeah, I guess I can kind of understand why other people frequent them, but I have only really used one for organizing parties for a game I played online. I have some bias though since I am not into making friends so much and I type fairly slowly. Also, chatrooms seem kind of necessarily cliquey to me for some reason, which I admit does not make much sense.

I cannot say I like talking about banned tropers too much. I feel like such discussions are a magnet for drama and general unpleasantness (i.e. complaining about banned tropers you do not like). I think that it might be a good idea to have a rule on TV Tropes and forums in general that limits threads about bannings and deleted topics to a specific topic or subforum (something like "Ask the Staff"). I am not totally sure if that is a good idea though. 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ I knew I forgot someone!
  • [wmg] Bobby G is Fast Eddie's least favorite moderator [wmg]
  • Because Bobby G is the Starscream.
  • I never knew Trope Kira was banned, I thought he just sort of left.
  • [wmg]Bobby G is having Fast Eddie's baby and Fast Eddie's ditching Bobby G for Ironeye[wmg]
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    [AOD] got banned again?  Huh.

Not sure if this counts, but you might want to add Chagen 46 to the list.
  • [AOD] is gone? Geez, people are dropping like flies.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    Nobody mentioned Some Guy?

Are sure Eponymous Kid is banned?  I see that dude make edits around the wiki.

• Most people banned from the forum can still use the wiki. Its only google bans and ip bans that prevent both.
  • edited 2011-03-12 02:45:44
    Who is Trope Kira?

Is he/she anything like this?
  • edited 2011-03-12 05:59:42
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I mostly remember Trope Kira for godmoding in RPGs.

No comment on the Fast Eddie thing.  Or the Starscream thing.
  • When are they going to ban Major Tom?
    When having any belief other than liberalism becomes against the rules, obviously.
  • Troper history and lore thread now?
  • I don't see why not, It's better than "Why hasn't X been banned yet?".