If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

1424425426427428430»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    itch.io is itself having a summer sale now!
    And so is JAST, for anyone who's into VNs. (Content warning, a large chunk of its offerings are smutty.)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2024-07-21 07:13:59

It's amazing that GoldenEye 007 was the result of the developers having the right amount of experience, which is to say very little experience that they made up for by winging it trying as many things as they could.

Also TIL there's a grenade launcher in the first Bunker level and that plastic explosives don't need to go directly on the missiles.
  • edited 2024-07-31 20:33:00
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

TL;DW - a petition effort has been recently launched to make videogame preservation part of EU consumer law. (attention EU citizens!)
    for more info: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Recently I've been playing Colony Ship. It's a good game, I recommend. It's one of these old-school ultra-difficult-combat RPGs (mechanically it's a sort of a re-make of old Fallout games) that also allow your character to scam their way through the entire game. Also, the stealth mechanics make for a very fun mini-game, which is worthy of mention since stealth is often where these sorts of games fail.

As for the setting, I was skeptical at first, but it works out. See, it's set on a huge generation ship that suffered a failed mutiny some century ago. Parts of the ship are ruled by warring factions or plain gangs, others are scavenger territory. As a result, thematically-wise it's a very fun three-way mix of cyberpunk, post-apo, and hard sci-fi.

tj;dr i recommend
    Due to a firefox fckup I had to spend a rage-inducing amount of time and attention on, it looks like my Evolve data has resetted. Despire that I'm not even angry for having lost my Ents, really, now I can avoid playing that game, it took up too much of my attention already.
  • At the risk of causing you to relapse, perhaps the info is still stored somewhere in Firefox's user files, it's a reach but who knows. Also I know that save data is not difficult to edit manually.
    ...yeah, at this point I'm a bit too afraid of getting my attention captivated by a silly browser game again to try and look for it.

Anyways, I built the Citadel Station and Stellar Engine and I was kinda just developing out all the rest of my civ while waiting to see what happens once enough mass is dumped into the black hole. I wasn't even thinking about the Jump Ship because the amount of aerogel needed is tremendous.
    Just beat a game from my backlog -- Tower Hunter: Erza's Trial.

I did buy it within the last few years, so it's not from too long ago; it's one of the many games on GOG I've gotten since I stopped using Steam a few years ago.

Roguelite action platformer. The levels actually don't change *that* much, but the exact placement of the level elements is slightly randomized. The equipment you get definitely is. Also there's permadeath.

Oh, equipment. You randomly pick up weapons, but most of the action is picking up "chips", which give stat/ability enhancements. You can't have an unlimited number of them, though -- there's a hex-grid-style list of the ones you have (the grid order doesn't actually matter), and that grid has a limited capacity for the "energy" each chip needs. You'll get far more than chips than you can hold, but you can grind them into crystals, a sort of in-game currency that you can use to upgrade your capacity, your skill with different weapon types, your aptitude for each type of chip, and your other abilities, like special attacks and a multiple jump and a healing injection.

I heard that this game is like Dead Cells, but I've never played Dead Cells.

Also I've heard that there's a setting that lets you play with normal saves and no permadeath, but I can't find it. Oh well, I beat it with permadeath (including losing to the final boss a few times, yes) anyway.

Game is slightly buggy (in amusing ways) but definitely playable and fun. Also, the translation is iffy at times (which I attribute to the Chinese devteam not being great at English), but the story is straightforward, and if anything, the flubs just add humor.
  • edited 2024-08-27 09:49:14
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Free game alert: https://www.gog.com/en/game/tropico_4

Although something tells me one of us might not have the taste for it. okay i copypasted it to the proper thread
  • edited 2024-08-27 18:57:17
    in addition to that, the publisher of the following games, Warner Brothers, is delisting them:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_suffering
    https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_suffering_ties_that_bind

pay attention to the date these discounts end (August 31). this is basically the last place to get them; they're not on Steam anymore.

there's actually a Back to School Sale going on on GOG right now, too, and that ends on September 10.
  • edited 2024-08-27 21:34:00
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    there's actually a Back to School Sale

Let me guess, Bully, Postal, Postal 2... did I miss something fitting the theme? (edit: oh yes, Hatred.)
    lrdgck wrote: »
    there's actually a Back to School Sale

Let me guess, Bully, Postal, Postal 2... did I miss something fitting the theme? (edit: oh yes, Hatred.)

Bully isn't on GOG, nor is Hatred. There are various Postal games, but I thought that was about someone going crazy in their career rather than in school?

Meanwhile, there's a variety of games about school-age characters from primarily Japanese devs, from actual story-focused games like Tokyo Xanadu to fanservicey things like Akiba's Trip to horror games like Corpse Party.
  • edited 2024-09-03 15:46:34
    Perpetually Peckish
    There's a lot of games in there that don't have anything to do with school at all so...probably more from timing than anything, lol
    Yeah, it's basically a fall sale.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/upcoming-alan-wake-update-will-remove-david-bowies-space-oddity-from-the-soundtrack-replace-it-with-a-new-original-song

An upcoming update to the original Alan Wake game (not the remake) will be removing a David Bowie song, presumably due to licensing issues.

If you wanna keep it in your copy of the game, download it and back it up before September 10.

(Sidenote: This is where standalone installers are particularly useful...)
  • I sometimes get the impression that licensing matters too often cause issues that benefit neither licenser nor licensee.
  • edited 2024-09-06 17:53:07
    Intellectual property law is a giant mess

Here's a Moon Channel video about one case where it "works"(?) which also says how it's a mess