If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• edited 2023-12-20 12:35:09
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    If Poland is over and Hungary is the home of that thing I won't discuss (but is extremely gay) then is the "pro-family" movement even alive outside of African muppet parliaments being controlled by US lobbies.

What is with that T-shirt?

I always found the Twitterverse Hungary/Poland-maxxing a bit weird when I cared but now it's kinda hilarious.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    What is with that T-shirt?
    You know that image with a stick-figure family under an umbrella, with rainbow colours pouring down from the sky, right? You know, "let's protect our families from gay agenda out to destroy our families because that's what them f****ts want to do". This one's a parody of it, in a T-shirt form.

Also, right now the ruling coalition is tearing the pigs off public television. Removed funding and officially dismissed the Party goons in top positions. The Party's posing as some hurt minority humbly pleading for balanced and unbiased media, which is already pushing it, but... Well... Meanwhile, photo from the TV headquaters which has just been leaked onto the internet, shows that Party goons running the place have literally had a portrait of the Dear Leader hung there. (Or his twin brother. They can always maintain it's the twin brother.) It's a wonderful mess, but hard for me do describe in detail, so nothing beyond what I just said.
  • edited 2023-12-20 14:12:32
    You know that image with a stick-figure family under an umbrella, with rainbow colours pouring down from the sky, right?

Ohhhhhh.

By the way, that shirt portrays a feeling I can personally get behind.
    The Party's posing as some hurt minority humbly pleading for balanced and unbiased media

I hate to say this but it turns out the majority of the time if religious conservatives are asking for balanced/unbiased media they really don't mean it at all especially since they spend the rest of their time complaining about how the current media isn't messaging the way they want and/or offending them.
    Dear Leader hung there. (Or his twin brother. They can always maintain it's the twin brother.)

Sam hill on a whanow

Also congrats on Pg. 100 mates.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The old meme from Team Fortress 2, the one where the Spy mocks the Scout by borrowing his earpiece and saying in an affected voice "This is Scout! Rainbows make me cry!" somehow stays relevant in political discourse.
  • edited 2023-12-21 12:13:56
    Should we focus on running the government and solving our apparently impossible debt crisis?

No, let's force schools to put on a ridiculously pointless Christian display. That'll solve our problems!

Someone on Twitter surely: "You just dont understand the brilliance of this move!! The moral decay is what caused the debt crisis. I can feel it in my soul and you would too if you weren't so fake and gay!!!"
    Incidentally, "moral decay is what caused the debt crisis" reminds me of the "prosperity gospel" nonsense with "if you're poor that's a sign you've sinned".
  • edited 2023-12-30 13:54:14
    International Stuff

Russia is using it's "anti-gay law" in new and interesting ways; to get back at influencers.
    A host of Russian celebrities who turned up scantily clad at an “almost naked” themed party in Moscow are facing fierce backlash at a time when the country is at war in Ukraine and the authorities are pushing an increasingly conservative agenda.

One of the attendees, rapper Vacio (Nikolay Vasilyev), who showed up wearing a sock to cover his genitals, has been sentenced to 15 days in jail and fined 200,000 rubles (roughly $2,200) after a Moscow court ruled the event was aimed at “propagating non-traditional sexual relationships.”

Actually, I never talked about how the Russian government now considers the International LGBTQ Movement a terrorist organization. I mean, genderqueers are annoying, but they're not Al Qaeda.

Local Stuff

Our dear leader is currently disputing an international report that compiled all the instances of a thing he's constantly doing that everybody in the country knows he's constantly doing. It's kind of hilarious; the sort of thing you'd probably only get away with if it was North Korea or something.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I mean, genderqueers are annoying, but they're not Al Qaeda.
    So, you don't believe they're out to set the world we live in on fire? (Literally what one fundie once told me.)
    Our dear leader is currently disputing an international report that compiled all the instances of a thing he's constantly doing that everybody in the country knows he's constantly doing. It's kind of hilarious; the sort of thing you'd probably only get away with if it was North Korea or something.
    That's just... non-specific enough that I kinda lol'd, under the premise that I'd probably find it lol-worthy if I knew what it was about.
  • edited 2024-01-06 13:48:32
    one fundie once told me

I'm interested in finding out exactly how they would achieve that (aside from just getting some gasoline and tossing it about).

So nowadays it's become trendy for democracy strategists, all left-wing type people, to talk about how democracy is at risk. Usually, this is just thinly veiled code about how much they dislike Donald Trump and how his election in 2016 was anti-democratic (I have no interest in dealing with this sort of doublethink so we won't get into it). However, we'll get to DT later.

Unfortunately, following the news lately I have actually noticed that stuff's gone weird. For example, did you know that two weeks ago General Abdel Fatah El-Sisi was re-(re!-)elected as Egypt's president by a landmark 90%? That is, in a third term he specifically changed the law to achieve?

I get that Egypt is probably not the shining beacon of democracy people out there are seeking, but it kind of looked like Egypt was making sense as a democracy for a while there. Guess not. Can't wait for Sisi's fourth term when he gets 97% of the vote.

Now we move to a country that is genuinely more concerning. It turns out Narenda Modi is about move into his third term in office. Now, unlike with Presidents, Prime Ministers don't tend to have term limits, and India's first Prime Minister was in office for,uh, 54 years???, but you genuinely get the sense that when your president (who you serve "at the mercy of") is a literal diversity hire that you have a significant amount of power of, you're essentially the ruler of the country.

I guess this doesn't hurt India's democracy in the literal sense, but the cult of Mohdi is indeed a thing that kind of doesn't help stem the claims that the BJP is steeping itself deeper and deeper into Hindu nationalism.

And frankly we never talk about it but that thing where Xi Jinping took over China and somehow made it more totalitarian, but that did also happen.

Forgot about DT

Let's be honest, guys, Joe Biden won the 2020 election, and it's obvious why for many different reasons. For example, greater voter turnout due to the chaotic Trump admin (which, somehow, everybody has forgotten was chaotic), and overall more liberalism in the country (which might be due to "demographics!!!" but well, yeah, deal with it guys).

And frankly, the postscript has not been cute. Not accepting the loss and having sycophants lionize J6 protesters as "innocent people" (who were not at all disturbed individuals that did not need a lightning rod) was probably not the best way to earn new fans. However, it seems like the alternate media space that TrumpWorld (R) (TM) has come up with is enough to completely kneecap the mainstream Republican party, leading to what has been a weirdly embarrassing series of debates for second place (and I guess, in Nikki Haley's case, a shot at vice-presidency).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    The weirdest ever scandal seems to have taken place in the UK, where the government wrongly accused several post-masters of embezzling money thanks to a faulty centralized accounting systems.

Some even took their own lives, and most had to pay back the funds they'd been accused of stealing out of their own pockets.
  • edited 2024-01-07 13:20:52
    Ahh, I watched a video on that recently (that I can't seem to find). It's upsetting that they'd rather ruin several people's lives than admit there was something wrong with their computer toys.
  • edited 2024-01-07 18:20:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So nowadays it's become trendy for democracy strategists, all left-wing type people, to talk about how democracy is at risk. Usually, this is just thinly veiled code about how much they dislike Donald Trump and how his election in 2016 was anti-democratic (I have no interest in dealing with this sort of doublethink so we won't get into it). However, we'll get to DT later.
    It's not really "doublethink" when you remember that the 2016 election is one of five times in U.S. history so far where the person who got elected to the presidency lost the popular vote, winning only thanks to the quirky system known as the Electoral College.

But, far more importantly, that talk that you're speaking of has to do with Trump's recent statements about being a dictator and taking various steps toward totalitarianism, as things he'd do if he's elected president. This stuff isn't just a relitigation of the 2016 election.

And on top of that there's his embrace of various autocratic rulers, repeatedly praising people like Putin and Kim.
    Glenn's post inspires me to throw in a few cents of my own.

Like, setting aside the perception of Trump vs. the real Trump, a threat to democracy these days doesn't quite mean the proverbial jackboots. Which is rather ironic. For years, folks have feared that one day we're gonna wake up in a world where elected officials are just a powerless fig leaf on a system where everything is run from the back seat by a confederation of emergency authorities, crisis management agencies, and distant international organizations. Well, we've been through a crisis and an emergency all right, and it turns out, the real threat to democracy comes from elected officials who get in power by appealing to these fears, and once they're in they begin to subvert the system from within to remove the possibility of being unseated by these same democratic procedures which got them in. And these folks I mentioned earlier probably voted for each. Because frankly, if you see a problem in a frickin' face mask during an epidemic and don't see a problem with the attempts by the people in power to literally hinder the groups of voters most likely to vote against them, then I gotta say I'm not keen on your priorities.

As far as I see it, Trump's actually less guilty of it than many others, all he personally did was replace a bunch of judges, and he had the legal capacity for that. My hunch is that he's just too stupid to figure it out on his own and too pompous to follow the advice of those who'd be Macchiavellian enough to try it. (I repeat, I had some genuine hopes at the beginning of his term, so I'm not, like, anti-Trump for the sake of it, he just convinced me he'd never fulfill any of them and that there's no point in thinking otherwise.) The real threat lies in that he fosters the environment for such subversion of democratic rule, emboldening those more Macchiavellian types who'd do their worst while hiding in his shadow.

Having said that, Trump is also, paradoxically, the most likely to engage in jackboots business specifically because he's too stupid to understand that siding with certain people is gonna reflect poorly on his reputation. Other soft-authoritarians tend to be media-savvy enough to publicly distance themselves from obvious hard-authoritarians.
    It's not really "doublethink" when you remember that the 2016 election is one of five times in U.S. history so far where the person who got elected to the presidency lost the popular vote, winning only thanks to the quirky system known as the Electoral College.

Well, Americans frankly have the least to complain about in terms of ridiculously flawed electoral systems.
    that talk that you're speaking of has to do with Trump's recent statements

I did specifically mean the 2016-2020 stuff, which tended to have a shakier base. The more recent stuff I agree with, like I said.
    the real threat to democracy comes from elected officials who get in power by appealing to these fears

I also agree with this.
    by the people in power to literally hinder the groups of voters most likely to vote against them

I have actually noticed that Republican memes (and actually, real serious people discussing stuff) about "ballot harvesting" are kind of concerning.

Anyways, going from this, I want to discuss how I feel like Republican right wing schools of thought seem to constantly radicalize specifically from not listening to their own elected officials and listening instead to social media influencers who appear to know this and then jossle the fanbase by literally lying about what the elected officials are or aren't doing.

Elise Stefanik, current the current Republican conference chair, was on NBC's Meet the Press and I thought she'd tone it down for a more general audience but man she was basically a rabid, pro-Trump attack dog who actually did say the thing this scare-quote article accuses her of saying.

Furthermore, she admitted to not certifying the results of the 2020 election in Pennsylvania because she didn't like the laws they'd passed there regarding the election.

Meanwhile, online, Elise Stefanik is a rabidly hated Democratic "plant" and gatekeeper who wants to "destroy" Trump. It seems like ever since she was instrumental in taking down the Harvard President, but before that it seemed like nobody liked her.

Personally, maybe I'm just mad that Kevin McCarthy was ousted from his role because he was like my political spirit animal, but frankly I'm just really over what's going on in this hybrid Too Online Republican movement.

I have thoughts on abortion, because that's definitely where we need to go right now.

I have thoughts primarily about anti-abortion activists, because the money, effort and community that goes into anti-abortion efforts is basically pointless to me because actual alive kids are dying every day of who even knows what and it's more important to save those than the ones the mothers didn't/don't even want.

You can just try to convince somebody you know on a personal level if they want to have an abortion, within reason. Obviously, never do this if they've been sexually assaulted, because, come on. I actually once heard some overzealous Catholic guy extol the virtue of a 14 year old sexual assault survivor who "willingly" gave birth.

It's true that I personally don't like the idea of abortion, it's kind of a waste if time telling 21st century women to not get them (because they like, can). I don't even care if eventually, they regret it, because that's what agency is for basically. I feel like being anti-abortion more than pro-alive-children is kind of a giant bag of religious posturing (especially with things like the March for Life).

Also, no matter how much they talk about emergency pregnancy centers and whatever, you do get the sense that you just want to feel better about yourself by forcing people to have babies and then just move on to getting the next unwanted child born.

Basically, I really don't think you should kill kids, but my gosh if you really want to, then whatever. I'd rather try and help out a charity that wants to help kids in Somalia or Yemen (or I mean even down the road from your neighborhood) that keep up with this game of nihilism.

Related to Religious Fundamentalism: Muslims are 100% cool with abortion anyways due to some Q'uranic saying that can be interpreted as "silly goose, clumps of cells aren't humans".
    It's true that I personally don't like the idea of abortion, it's kind of a waste if time telling 21st century women to not get them (because they like, can).
    This is only the case in some parts of the world, and a similarly spotty situation exists in the United States, especially after Roe v. Wade was overturned. In some places, even if it *is* still legally possible, it's intentionally been made into a really obnoxious process in order to dissuade people from it, because some political leaders like to be dicks about it.

Incidentally, abortion wasn't always some sort of absolute no-no, even in Catholic tradition. It's a relatively recent thing.

I used to say that I was "anti-abortion but pro-choice", but then I realized I don't actually have a moral opinion on abortion itself anyway, so now I'm just solely pro-choice.

Meanwhile, the folks who engage in anti-abortion activism are, if not the same people, closely allied with folks who also rail against welfare and "government handouts", which is a giant bag of irresponsible hypocrisy on their part -- they want the law to force babies to be born (including ones that'll just end up dead shortly afterwards due to birth defects), but they don't want to help anyone with the consequences of such legal regimes. The only way their position makes sense is to view pregnancy and childbearing as itself some sort of punishment for having sex. Sure, it's good for people to learn that they shouldn't have sex irresponsibly, but outlawing abortion is an absolutely stupid and useless way to try to "teach" this idea and also causes tons of collateral damage in its wake.

So yeah, just let people have abortions when they decide they need them.

Also, to those anti-abortion activists who like shoving dead baby photos into people's faces: congratulations, you're the ones shoving dead baby photos into people's faces. Go away.
    Related to Religious Fundamentalism: Muslims are 100% cool with abortion anyways due to some Q'uranic saying that can be interpreted as "silly goose, clumps of cells aren't humans".
    The link actually suggests that there's some quite amount of disagreement and vagueness regarding interpretation.
  • True, but, "life begins at conception" and "government handouts are bad" aren't mutually contradictory views. I'd call it less hypocrisy and more holding anti-synergistic views.
    So, I was reading old posts and I got to the part about social media censorship (after Trump supporters REEEEed their way into the US capitol):
    I can't say I'm not bothered by there being a few companies whose actions in their social media platforms have a huge effect in how public discourse goes. Then again, government control or whatever is not a solution (or rather, a very delicate one). I think I'll content myself with stating that I don't like it.
    What bothers me more are the people who seemingly turned lolbertarian the moment Twitter et al. went with what they wanted, at which point they can/should do whatever they want with their platform and it's all okay, even better if they are/become a monopoly. People who no doubt didn't harbor those beliefs a week ago and who will no doubt stop harboring them the moment they feel like pressuring some platform into whatever.
    I miss early/mid 00s internet, a world where everything goes because nothing matters.
    None of this will stop me from posting the MySpace pic in the images thread, tho.
    Edit: Clarity.
    (Emphasis mine.)
    Now, that wasn't a difficult prediction but I didn't expect it to be put to test, it did (Elon purchasing Twitter), it happened and I'm now here to gloat about it.
    True, but, "life begins at conception" and "government handouts are bad" aren't mutually contradictory views. I'd call it less hypocrisy and more holding anti-synergistic views.
    Fair point, I guess.
    Meanwhile, the folks who engage in anti-abortion activism are, if not the same people, closely allied with folks who also rail against welfare and "government handouts", which is a giant bag of irresponsible hypocrisy on their part -- they want the law to force babies to be born (including ones that'll just end up dead shortly afterwards due to birth defects), but they don't want to help anyone with the consequences of such legal regimes. The only way their position makes sense is to view pregnancy and childbearing as itself some sort of punishment for having sex. Sure, it's good for people to learn that they shouldn't have sex irresponsibly, but outlawing abortion is an absolutely stupid and useless way to try to "teach" this idea and also causes tons of collateral damage in its wake.
    I seem to vaguely recall some psychological research addressing the issue. Like, in loose terms, some people for whatever reason do think in these terms. It sounds like it doesn't make sense, but it also doesn't matter, since it's not like these people are into it because of some deeply considered political philosophy. Perhaps you guys would know who came up with this hypothesis or when.

I believe there are people who would join no abortion with extreme regard for quality gynaecological and perinatal care, but they are raaare. And tend to slide towards the "pro-life, but uh, you know, there are circumstances..." side of things over time.
    o, I was reading old posts and I got to the part about social media censorship
    Makes me wonder if sooner or later somebody comes up with state-owned Twitter under the premise it's basically a public service by now. (I'm thinking it would be like an official government news service.) That way nobody would come up with stupid conspiracy theories about how they are censored by the government because they would be literally censored by the government.

(Also, I don't want to interrupt the conversation, but I dropped a photo in Images and promised to explain, so I'm gonna drop the explanation and you can go on.)

Anyways, lately I've noticed the rise of the "Buy Now, Pay Later" scheme that is basically this new way (for now) to bypass credit checks and it certainly can't be good for the global economy.

I'm wary of suggesting yet another complete economic meltdown on the level of 2008, because I did that a lot in 2020 due to all the "stimulus" that was issued back then, but there's no way that this new form of short-term(ish) debt (basically, invoice discounting but for selling scented candles or whatever), combined with all the debt being accumulated by normal means, that's even less reliable in terms of being recoverable than the previous forms of debt, can be good for the economy.

Especially since most BNPLs are tech start ups known for getting lots of money pumped in via fundraising (warning, NSFW language) rather than the sustainability of the business model.

Especially when economists can't explain how the current upward slope on the curve is even happening.

Man, that is a lot of links.
  • There's been lots of news/viral posts about Venezuelans abroad getting into criminal activities, being a nuisance, etc., mostly from Chile and Perú but lately includes more remote places like the US (I'd have thought it'd be difficult to emigrate there). That's bad enough as it is, but it's also led to the growth of xenophobia in those places. It's unfortunate, but with the amount of New Socialist Men we're exporting it was bound to happen.
    there's a reasonably substantive Venezuelan immigrant/expat community in the U.S., at least here in south Florida

I don't know that much about it though
  • edited 2024-02-15 04:18:19
    Maybe there's a GMH-branded counter to this story going around about Joe Biden, which is why I'm bringing it up.

It seems like the judgement about Joe Biden's memory made by Special Counsel looking into the classified documents kept in his home office, at least based on Joe Biden's recollection of when Beau Biden died, were not made because he directly asked about the president's son's death.

It seems like Biden himself brought it up and then misremembered it, and then also 'misremembered' this in order to attack the Special Counsel (along with his wife even).

Anyways, it feels a lot like Joe Biden is trying to throw this election, and the whole smorgasbord of issues surrounding his oddly intense support of Israel (note: I also have an oddly intense support of Israel, but I'm not part of the party filled with Hamas sympathizers*).

*Please don't counter this, I'm being inflammatory on purpose.
    You're telling me that all the money that gay men spent on bunga bunga parties in Greece and gay marriage still wasn't legal???
  • edited 2024-02-15 22:01:33
    Regarding Israel, I'll say that both the Israeli government and Hamas are untrustworthy parties and undesirable partners, as far as finding peace and treating the people there (especially the Palestinians, considering what they're being put through right now) with dignity and respect. And an irony of the current war is that they've actually found occasion to aid each other politically, despite seemingly being at odds on paper.

The world might be a better place if the leadership of both traded each other in for the hostages and thus sacrificed themselves in an attempt to end the war. Though, sadly, they're not the only malefactors in the area -- for example, there's some miscreant settlers in the West Bank who also regularly make things worse for everyone by terrorizing the Palestinians living there, often with Israeli officials looking the other way or even aiding and abetting them.
  • edited 2024-02-23 04:19:56

We need to stop social media until we can figure out what the heck is going on.
    Kaelyn, whose daughter is now 17, said she worried that a childhood spent sporting bikinis online for adult men had scarred her.

“She’s written herself off and decided that the only way she’s going to have a future is to make a mint on OnlyFans,” she said, referring to a website that allows users to sell adult content to subscribers. “She has way more than that to offer.”

Literally her mother did this to her.
    So re:the new Alabama law ruling. The exact issue is that IVF clinics can be sued if they mishandle embryos for... wrongful death, rather than for mishandling property or something.

Anyways, I've always been of the mind that frozen embyros are indeed people, but then I thought about it more. Fertilized eggs can still like, not make it, and this often happens, so technically nothing has a real chance of becoming a baby unless it successfully implants in a womb.

So yeah, it's a bit ick to think people are 'making babies', but becoming a human is very complex. Similarly, it's very unlikely that those reproductive gametes would ever become humans without doctoral/scientific intervention, so it's actually a bad idea to compare a lab-frozen embyro to an unborn child (but like I said, moms can execute* their unborn children if they wish). This is a new thing without an exact morality yet, so it's bad to just stick your old morality on it like it still applies.

Also, reading into it properly, I discovered that the media had been hyping this as an anti-abortion issue, and I mean it's a conservative state so maybe that's part of it, but it's certainly not exactly right in terms of reporting the issue at hand.

*Just cause I'm abortion agnostic now doesn't mean I'll soften my language.
  • edited 2024-02-25 15:13:01
    Speaking of media:

Teodzbt.png

What happened:
    • Some girls were being fresh to this one girl who wears men's suits behind her back.
    • Sounds like those same girls used the 'correct' pronouns, even during the fight.
    • She instigated the fight.
    • Was completely okay going to the principal's office and later to the hospital by herself.
    • The death was quickly ruled as not being caused by head trauma from the fight.
    • Died two days after the fight.
    • (the weird part) her mother was indicted for the crime of deadpronouning during her 911 phonecall, which was like... really pronoun-police? Her daughter just died.
    • (opinion part) This story will disappear faster than the Ole Miss incident when it turns out she died of something unrelated (in that case, it turned out he -the black and LGBTQ+ twenty something had been killed by a guy he was meeting via apps, a black guy (sacré bleu!)).
    • (more opinion) of course bullying is bad, but this story is like, "The bathroom policy egged these kids into knifing the LGBTQ2@S+ girl in the back!!"
  • edited 2024-02-26 04:28:25
    Fertilized eggs can still like, not make it, and this often happens, so technically nothing has a real chance of becoming a baby unless it successfully implants in a womb.
    And even if it does implant, it can still miscarry for entirely natural reasons.

(more opinion) of course bullying is bad, but this story is like, "The bathroom policy egged these kids into knifing the LGBTQ2@S+ girl in the back!!"
    The issue isn't that a trans-unfriendly policy "eggs" people into bullying; the issue is that it enables bullying, by providing opportunity to those with such motives.
    She instigated the fight.
    If you're talking about the act of pouring water on someone else, I'd like to note that beating someone unconscious is not exactly a normal behavioral response to that. But it might be expected given a history of negative interactions -- which is consistent with the information that Nex was bullied for a whole year before this happened. And furthermore, Nex was not even the ultimate instigator, as the officer's transcript indicates -- there were already negative verbal interactions before that.
    The death was quickly ruled as not being caused by head trauma from the fight.
    Died two days after the fight.
    Even the picture you posted indicates that this was not just an isolated incident, but something that happened after "more than a year of abuse". Even if the cause was not head trauma (and we should be careful to note that such conclusions aren't infallible), it is not unreasonable that someone who had been subjected to over a year of abuse and been beaten a day or two ago may have died either by suicide or by an accident related to a state of depression or other distress very much caused by said experiences.

Also, Benedict died one day after the fight, not two. A quick Wikipedia lookup gives at least three sources indicating this, including the very article you screenshotted.
    (the weird part) her mother was indicted for the crime of deadpronouning during her 911 phonecall, which was like... really pronoun-police? Her daughter just died.
    The image you posted doesn't indicate an "indictment" (literally or metaphorically). It's possible that the family was simply reminded of the child's gender identity and pronouns.

Also, I'd like to note that an Oklahoma LGBTQ organization notes that Nex's communication of gender and pronoun preference aren't exactly clear.

Meanwhile, the article you screenshotted indicates that, while Nex's mother "struggled to understand the nuances of Nex’s gender fluidity", she was also supportive of her child and continues to be respectful of them in taking the responsibility of presenting their memory to the world at this point.